Plane catches fire in Georgetown DE

D.M.D

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
BigDave
Pilot jumped from a moving plane.
http://www.capegazette.com/article/...ed-after-plane-catches-fire-georgetown/124727
2048.jpeg

Yea, luckily he will be ok. He jumped out as soon as wheels touched ground.

Whew lucky man! I had a friend who was badly burned in a C172 that caught fire while airborne. Got it on the ground but he was badly burned, and lost fingers on both hands, all but 2-3 on each hand. The goose map light on the side pillar caught fire, and spread quickly.

Good job on him.

I had an electrical burning smell in a 182 about 10 feet off the ground. Short field and full of paying customers didn't allow me to put it down and stop. I climbed to about 400 agl, turned around in the canyon, and put the airplane back down. That was very nerve racking. Never got a fire though.

This one caught fire fortunately while at the gate in TLH on a turn back to ATL.

CRJ burnt.jpg

Looks like the grass fire might have been a little exciting as well.......

Going to have to make a new w&b chart.

Being it was a Tri Pacer--aren't those Fabric A/C? That fire sure spread quick.

Goodness! The one thing worse than losing your engine.

Happy to hear he made it out. That's some scary stuff!

I think they mentioned he hit a bird after takeoff? He must of had some damage that lead to the fire?

No, there is fresh stuff growing out of it. That's old.

Wuz from the last plane that caught fire I suppose.......

Note to self..... Don't fly from that airfield.

Wuz from the last plane that caught fire I suppose.......

Note to self..... Don't fly from that airfield.

Hey hey it's a great field :cool: I'm based at the field and haven't heard anything of him hitting a bird. A lot of BBJ aircraft come here for long range fuel tank mods and interior work---pretty neat. In 10 years I've seen this and one other accident--which was a guy who clipped electrical wires.

Hey hey it's a great field :cool: I'm based at the field and haven't heard anything of him hitting a bird. A lot of BBJ aircraft come here for long range fuel tank mods and interior work---pretty neat. In 10 years I've seen this and one other accident--which was a guy who clipped electrical wires.

I did a short term contract installing tanks on BBJs at PATS Aircraft (now Aloft) back in 2006. Seemed like a nice airport.

No, there is fresh stuff growing out of it. That's old.
Still smoke at the far end of the grass fire and what looks like fire fighters standing pretty far back in the field too. Old, dry, dead grass probably burned and left the live stuff behind.

Back