Plane advice

Bean Outdoors

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bean Outdoors
Finishing up my ppl this month

Can people throw out some suggestions for a family hauler...we have 5 in our family

Thanks for the help

Been eyeballing Cherokee six

More info on the types of flights you'll be doing? Your "mission" so to speak. Also budget?

Cherokee 6/Lance/saratoga!/Piper 6's are generally good,

I personally am a big fan of 206's

Cessna 210's are quasi 6 seaters.

If you wanted to go fancy you could get a 185 or 195.

If you wanted to go fast there's the Piper Malibu/matrix/meridian series.

Not to mention the world of multi-engine aircraft.

Beach trip and flying across country some
Budget underr 75 k

Would like to be around 50

I think Cherokee Six would fit that pretty well.

Under 75k probably has you in Cherokee 6 territory.

That's what I keep coming back to you but wanted to make sure I'm not overlooking something

Price range?

There is a large difference between a Piper 6 and a 185

A 185 is quite a bit more expensive and a bit more "specialized" than a Cherokee Six. I would start looking at Six's if I were you.

Make sure the people in your family enjoy flying before you spend money toward buying an airplane. The transaction costs are high enough that a few hours of renting a small plane and taking one or two family members at a time on some trips (not too long, but at least enough to experience some turbulence and a crosswind landing) will pay big dividends in deciding what plane fits your mission.

Finishing up my ppl this month

Can people throw out some suggestions for a family hauler...we have 5 in our family

Thanks for the help

Been eyeballing Cherokee six

How big are the kids or are we talking all adults?

A six would work well for you.

A Six would be a good choice. Or maybe a 182 with the rear seat center belt stc, or rear child seat. Good hauler, good range, pretty easy to insure. Budget might be an issue.

10. 7. 4. Are kids all boys

Until the youngest gets into his teens, a Comanche B will haul the five and is a much faster and more satisfactory longer range traveling machine. It will climb quickly and happily cruise in the low teens were it is more likely to be cool and smooth. At 155-160 kts burning 13 gph it has a 800 nm range. More if you got higher or it has tip tanks.

OTOH, the Six will haul more weight and will hold six adults and baggage where the 5th and 6th seats in the Comanche are really kids seats. The down side is that a 260 Six is about a 115 to 125 ktas aircraft burning 14 gph or a Six 300 is a 135-150 KTAS burning 17-18 gph. One doesn't take a heavily loaded Six much above 9K as it just takes too long to get there. The only Six 300 that will do 150 KTAS is the 1978 or newer with the fancy wheel pants or one that has been retrofitted.

Newly certificated pilot is going to pay a bunch for insurance in a Comanche, if you can get it. I love them, but not sure it's the right first airplane for a new pilot.

Newly certificated pilot is going to pay a bunch for insurance in a Comanche, if you can get it. I love them, but not sure it's the right first airplane for a new pilot.

Definitely will pay more for insurance, but it can be had. The first year will be rougher than successive years once you have some retract experience. For either aircraft the insurance will go down with an instrument rating.

My first year Comanche insurance isn't bad, it will be better in year 2 with 100 hrs in type and IFR and CPL.

Back