Places to Fly in TX

Av1on

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Av1on
Looking for recommendation for airports (untowered) to fly out to. Any suggestions?

Hangar Hotel in Fredericksburg should really be at the top of the list. No kids though. Leave em at home.

Reactions: cdb
Hangar Hotel in Fredericksburg should really be at the top of the list. No kids though. Leave em at home.
Never heard of this place. Will have to check it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

What's that one where you landed and then taxied down main street to the restaurant running stop signs

What's that one where you landed and then taxied down main street to the restaurant running stop signs

That was in Beaumont Kansas. neat experience but if you do it, land, drive down the road, make a u-turn and fly somewhere else to spend the night.
It's a neat experience but it is almost a ghost town and the hotel had so many little crawly friends, I almost slept in the plane.

Mid America Flight Museum, only open Saturdays 8am to noon at KOSA, Mt Pleasant. You can taxi close to their Hangars at the north end of the ramp.

That was in Beaumont Kansas. neat experience but if you do it, land, drive down the road, make a u-turn and fly somewhere else to spend the night.
It's a neat experience but it is almost a ghost town and the hotel had so many little crawly friends, I almost slept in the plane.
Oh, Kansas.

What is your origin?
I recently just came down to TX.
Edit: I'll be here for a while, just looking for some places to go and check out and maybe put on the list for family to visit.

Last edited:

It’s 800mi east to west and another 800mi north to south. If you’re in the Panhandle, I wouldn’t be recommending a short trip to Galveston.

But here’s short list of my fly to food places from the San Antonio Area.

KRKP
KGLS
KCLL
KUVA
T82
KSEP

Llano AQO (take courtesy cars into town [they have 3 or 4]).

Lake Jackson LBX -on field

Mustang Beach RAS - take bus to downtown/port.

There’s a restaurant on Stinson Field, but you said non-towered.

Port Isabel- KPIL

Is there anything there? I’d hit Brownsville before Port Isabel; not much longer of a drive to the island and much better services.

Also, Lockhart (50R). Courtesy car to lots of great bbq.

Mustang Beach RAS - take bus to downtown/port.
Stay at Amelia's Landing on Mustang Island. The Hoenecks are great folks. Jay had a Cherokee 6 he kept at RAS. Not sure if he still has it.

Stay at Amelia's Landing on Mustang Island. The Hoenecks are great folks. Jay had a Cherokee 6 he kept at RAS. Not sure if he still has it.

Jay sold the hotel about two years ago. New owners are local to the island and supported pilots flying into RAS as of Feb 2022.

I believe Jay and Mary own an RV-8/A and base out of RKP, iirc.

Last edited:
Edit: I'll be here for a while, just looking for some places to go and check out and maybe put on the list for family to visit.
Um, Texas is a big place. Where in TX are you?

Why the constraint for untowered airports? Are you looking for places to fly where you don't have to talk to ATC? If so, then there's more than just the tower to consider. Lots of Class B and C airspace in the E half of the state that's difficult to (legally) fly through or lengthy to fly around if you're not willing to talk on the radio.

Last edited:
Is there anything there? I’d hit Brownsville before Port Isabel; not much longer of a drive to the island and much better services.

Also, Lockhart (50R). Courtesy car to lots of great bbq.

Full of Navy King Airs doing touch and goes. Completely empty and away from SPI. OP wants uncontrolled field

Um, Texas is a big place. Where in TX are you?

Why the constraint for untowered airports? Are you looking for places to fly where you don't have to talk to ATC? If so, then there's more than just the tower to consider. Lots of Class B and C airspace in the E half of the state that's difficult to (legally) fly through or lengthy to fly around if you're not willing to talk on the radio.
I'm in the Wills Point area.
I'm partly requesting this for a couple of people who are looking to do fly-outs. They live on a nontowered airport so some of their aircraft aren't equipped with the stuff they need to fly into a towered airport. I myself have flown in and out of Delta airspace many times so have no problem with towered airports.

Back