Places to fly in the South

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
Just moved to Savannah. I'm from the south (Mississippi) but have been living in Montana and have done no flying in the south other than around the Memphis area. I'm watching the FL thread for places to go there, but where else? I threw a dart at a sectional last weekend and made it to St. Simon's island, nice place and location. We have a home just across the road from 3M2 (Double Springs AL) and I'll be heading that direction this weekend and possibly going to Starkville MS for the MSU vs TN game (Go State!)... anywhere else I should check out within 300 miles or so of Savannah?

Why is it "The South" always refers only to East coast states?

I used to be based at Perry-Houston County (KPXE), and it is close to a really nice museum at Robins Air Force Base in Warner Robins (free admission, and they have lots of funding due to it being the home of former Senator Sam Nunn, long time chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, as well as the home of General Robert Scott, "God is my Co-pilot" author).

Call the airport at [SIZE=-1]478-987-3713 and see if they have a courtesy car, or can arrange a short term rental. Patsy Goff is the FBO manager. Good folks, and give a discount for cash on fuel IIRC.
If you have a weekend and want to see old stuff, Macon, about 30 minutes away has a lot of pre "War of Northern Aggression" homes:wink2:.[/SIZE]

Why is it "The South" always refers only to East coast states?
Not true.
Alabama, Louisiana, Tennessee and Mississippi are all part of the "South" as well. People "up North" even call Virginia part of the "Old South", just not West Virginia so much.
Texas is, well it's Texas! 'Nuff said.

Yeah, second the Robins Museum. Really good. I flew into MCN a month ago and took the courtesy car over there. SSI is cool. Great resturants out in town and they let you take the car as well. Pensacola is an awesome town. Love the Museum and Mcguires is a must to eat at. Cedar Key Fl is a cool little airport and the seafood is great. A woman will pick you up in a van and take you out in town for a small fee. Take a trip up to GMU S.C. sometime as well. They have a great resturant (featured in The Aviators) right on the ramp.

You can always fly up here to KLZU and have lunch with some of us.

Not true.
Alabama, Louisiana, Tennessee and Mississippi are all part of the "South" as well. People "up North" even call Virginia part of the "Old South", just not West Virginia so much.

Yeah but, to us....

I like Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach. KILM is a nice airport, but a ways out of town, so you'll likely need to rent a car. Ocracoke(W95) is slightly outside your 300nm radius, but worth the trip. Of course, if you get that close, it would be a shame not to stop at FFA(scope creep alert!)...

KEXX - barbecue festival next weekend. I could probably pick ya up from the airport if you're interested.

KEXX - barbecue festival next weekend. I could probably pick ya up from the airport if you're interested.

Oh man... Did you have to go and do that? I grew up in Rowan County and was weaned on Gary's BBQ in China Grove. Speedys was my favorite Lexington spot - haven't been there in 10 years. I'll be back up there the end of October to take care of some family business - I'll have to make a point to drive up to Speedys! :goofy:

Thanks for the offer, but going to Atlanta to meet a Montana friend who is in town, then on to Misssissippi to visit my mother.

KGLS Galveston Texas
next door to Moody Gardens, Flight museum ( really nice planes that still flying every weekend ) , 5 minutes from the beach.

If you have a free saturday consider 5NC3. I don't know how long that would take you in the bonanza but it would probably be within lunch flying range. Maybe a little over an hour.

Its www.pik-n-pig.com great on-airport bbq restaurant. You literally park your plane on the grass next to the restaurant. Sit on the porch and watch aircraft come and go. Usually lots of interesting antique or experimental A/C flying around there

KEXX is another good one. Nothing special about the airport, but grab the old crown vic crew car and head to lexington BBQ. Its nothing more than a glorified shack but the Q is delicious. Try a hot dog all the way.

KSUT southport is good... about 5 minute drive from the waterfront restaurants at downtown southport.

The waterfront in downtown Wilmington is really impressive with great bars/restaurants and hotels within walking distance. KILM its your standard class D (don't buy gas there) and downtown is less than 10min drive.

If you are into fishing, fly on up to KHSE and book a charter (I can recommend a few boats) Closest point to the gulf stream on the east coast. You can rent a little beachfront cottage thing for about $80 a night in the off season.

Southern Soul BBQ Restaurant just across the street from St. Simons Island airport.

Not true.

Completely agree. What could possibly be considered more "south" than MS, AL, or LA? The part of VA I live in is part south (having spent several years there) and part NE but cool anyway.

Completely agree. What could possibly be considered more "south" than MS, AL, or LA? The part of VA I live in is part south (having spent several years there) and part NE but cool anyway.

I am from TX but live in MS. MS,LA,GA are referenced to as the Deep South. Sure Texas and Florida have further south parts but they are not the Deep South. Don't ask me why.

And up here in columbus, ms not many close by cool places to fly to either!!

Ashville, NC and Hilton Head are both easy day trips from Savanah. See the Biltmore in Ashville and have a nice seafood lunch at Harbortown at Hilton Head. Going south, go to Titusville, FL and visit KSC, the Visitor Center, and the Astronaut Hall of Fame.

I define the south as - if an area is north or south of the sweet tea line.

The sweet tea line is the boundary - south of which you can find sweet tea available at nearly 100% of restaurants.

I find it starts dropping off the farther north in Virginia you go.

A nice aviation museum at KCLT.

Do we have to mention KISM? Go have dinner with Mickey, spend the night and come home. The best $1000 hamburger ever...

Second Saturday, come up to KTTA for Wings of Carolina second saturday cookout.

KMRH in Beaufort (NC, it's Bow-furt) has a nice waterfront area, good place for lunch and to relax. It's a little difficult to get into unless you fly > 3 miles off shore or go west around the military restricted areas.

KAVL - Asheville is a neat little town. When the Great Depression (of 1929, have to say that these days) hit, Asheville didn't feel it. Then it hit all at once and lot of the old businesses in downtown just stopped for decades. Net result, the 1920s art deco architecture is still largely intact and the town is rebuilding itself on a new model. Visit Biltmore Estates and/or stay overnight in the historic Grove Park Inn.

I am from TX but live in MS. MS,LA,GA are referenced to as the Deep South. Sure Texas and Florida have further south parts but they are not the Deep South. Don't ask me why.

And up here in columbus, ms not many close by cool places to fly to either!!

Have you gone to Dauphin Island or Pensacola? Seems Memphis would be a cool place to go for a good time too.

A nice aviation museum at KCLT.

Do we have to mention KISM? Go have dinner with Mickey, spend the night and come home. The best $1000 hamburger ever...

Any one going KISM I can point you to some great places. Thats where I learned to fly and lived in Florida all my life, except the past year. Worked in the area and still have a business about 3 miles from KISM.

Pensacola! A favorite destination around our home, good beaches, great food and the Museum of Naval Aviation!

Sweet Tea!! That is SO East coasternian! (hmm, I think I invented yet another word.)

Here our teas are typically herbal infused green blends imported from Madagascar and Nepal. Which reminds me, I thought I had a cold coming on last week so I got some hot tea instead of my usual triple latte at the coffee shop. This stuff was HORRIBLE. It tasted exactly like after shave! It was called Earl Gray or something like that.

I would say that from SAV you are perfectly centered for travel up and down the East coast.
When I lived in Orlando (KORL) I would frequently travel as far north as SAV and as far south as MTH for that Hundred Dollar Hamburger.

If you travel into Florida I highly recommend St Augustine as a destination of food, fun and adventure.

KXFL is just north of Daytona and has a great restaurant. Let me know in advance if you want to come down. Lunch/dinner is on me.

St Augustine FL is a nice place to spend a day walking thru the historic district. Lots of Bed & Breakfast places to stay.

I also recommend Pensacola. The naval air station there has an amazing museum, and if you are interested in cryptography there is a small, unadvertised cryptography museum on Correy Station -- another naval base just north of NAS. Though I think the crypto museum is only open during the weekdays. Ahh memories.

KXFL is just north of Daytona and has a great restaurant. Let me know in advance if you want to come down. Lunch/dinner is on me.

Visited the area a couple of weeks ago, we went to new Smyrna beach where there Turing a DC7 into a restaurant. Aside from the FBO there earning a spot on my "Places I'll never purchase anything from ever again" list it was nice. Going to check out some more spots in FL and might do a Bahamas trip.

Visited the area a couple of weeks ago, we went to new Smyrna beach where there Turing a DC7 into a restaurant. Aside from the FBO there earning a spot on my "Places I'll never purchase anything from ever again" list it was nice. Going to check out some more spots in FL and might do a Bahamas trip.
Did you get a chance to stop in at High Jackers Restaurant on the field, almost on top of the ramp parking area?
The restaurant at the Flagler County Airport is the main reason I stop in and get a bite to eat while I fuel up with one of the lowest priced 100LL fuel in the area. :yes:

Love going to Hijackers.
NSB has opened a new resturant in one of the hangers, probably a prelude to the new restaurant in the DC.'

The restaurant at Sebring is great as well.

Cedar Key is awsome too!

Back