Place to go this Saturday?

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
I have to go on a short XC hop this saturday morning, as my instructor accidently began to fill in the wrong endorsement box in the back of my log-book. Rather than void it, Let's go Fly!

So,.. I'm looking for a good stop just about 55-60 nm away from N10. I've gone to Hazelton and York for some XC stops. With the Reading Airshow, and the Gathering in Frederick Md, it's probably going to be a busy weekend. Plus, with the sunny skies and high temps predicted, I'm thinking there will be some good glider activities going on too.

I was thinking of Blairstown NJ (1N7), as I heard they are a good place and have a little place to eat, or I was thinking of directly East,.. towards Monmouth Exc (BLM) NJ.

Any PIREPs or other Ideas?

N40 Sky Manor AirportPittstown, New Jersey, USA10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
skymanor flyin
It's eaa. chapter 643's 3rd year fly in ,in pittstown new jersey.Sat. june 7 th 08.Drive in,walk if ya have to. bring mom and the kids,have some chow , talk to new and old friends,look at lots of airplanes and hang out under the old oak tree!! we're making the event a little bigger this year, don't know what is on the plate just yet, but it will be fun.awards and placks will be given out for pilots flying in for a number of different classes.

Distance: 24.3nm
This is the only one I see that you didn't already mention.
http://www.flyincalendar.com/

Hmm,.. both of those sound nice. I'll find an airport 50 nm away,.. and maybe hit one of those on the way back.

Well Rob if you want a 2 stop go to N71,then back to LNS for lunch.
Or if you want to go a little farther,come to CXY (landing fee) and give me a call i'll meet you for lunch. Nice thing about CXY you'll talk to Harrisburg approach,and the tower at CXY(good radio work), but thats up to you. If you decide to do CXY my cell # is 717-554-5360.

Dave G:blueplane:

Well Rob if you want a 2 stop go to N71,then back to LNS for lunch.
Or if you want to go a little farther,come to CXY (landing fee) and give me a call i'll meet you for lunch. Nice thing about CXY you'll talk to Harrisburg approach,and the tower at CXY(good radio work), but thats up to you. If you decide to do CXY my cell # is 717-554-5360.

Landing fee is and understatement!

How much is it? Is there a place to eat on the field? I'm comfortable talking on the radio, and talked to Harrisburg on my Long XC going up and coming back from University Park. They have skydivers there too don't they? It be nice to fly someplace and meet someone.

I'm going to have to choose tonight so I can plan the morning, and I hope to takeoff about 9:15-9:30, by the time I finish the preflight and call to FSS.

I realized today that my AFD expired yesterday. So, I need to pick a new one up for my checkride. Maybe I can stop over to Wings this afternoon, or I could stop at LNS on the way back tomorrow.

Don't GO TO CXY it's like a $50 landing fee and many here have been avoiding that airport like the pauge because of what they are doing to it. It's sad.

There are PLEANTY of good fields around that you can land at (Reigle), it will just make shipok drive a little further. IF you want Radio work go to LNS, they have a restauraunt on feild or Allentown or Williamsport (Ted & I and a resturaunt on feild but not as good as the one's just off feild) or anywhere but CXY!

That is if this darn weather will let you fly tomorrow!

Last edited:
I like blairstown, although I haven't been there in a few years. The restaurant is good and you can watch the gliders come and go.

I hear Gaston's is nice this time of year...:frog:

Looks like hazy, hot and humid no matter where you go! Blairstown is a cool little GA airport. Small but nice resturant, an easy flight with a good view of the Delaware water gap. For just cruising about, that would be my choice.

Gary

I Didn't relize the landing fee was that high ,SORRY, forget about CXY,
Dave G.
actually the fees go like this (i just called)
Landing...............$8.00
Ramp..................$25.00 (waved if you buy fuel 5 gal. min.)
facility fee...........$15.00
Total without fuel..$48.00..$23 with fuel

Just figured i'd post that so people know

Last edited:
Blairstown - nice trip up the Delaware, nice restaurant, lots of gliders to watch.

Cherry Ridge (N30) is nice, 80nm from N10, they have a great restaurant with an almost panoramic view of the runway from up high. 2400ft runway, should be no problem in a 152, even with the high DAs this weekend.

Blairstown - nice trip up the Delaware, nice restaurant, lots of gliders to watch.

Cherry Ridge (N30) is nice, 80nm from N10, they have a great restaurant with an almost panoramic view of the runway from up high. 2400ft runway, should be no problem in a 152, even with the high DAs this weekend.

I second Cherry Ridge. Great food and a good view of people landing. Altoona (AOO) is a bit further west, but the restaurant in the terminal has good food. CGE, Cambridge MD, has great crab cakes.

I am thiniking of going to the AOPA fly-in myself, but I will make my final call in the morning.

I Didn't relize the landing fee was that high ,SORRY, forget about CXY,
Dave G.
actually the fees go like this (i just called)
Landing...............$8.00
Ramp..................$25.00 (waved if you buy fuel 5 gal. min.)
facility fee...........$15.00
Total without fuel..$48.00..$23 with fuel

Just figured i'd post that so people know

Thanks for the breakdown. I didn't have that, all I had was a report from someone who had to pay the "50 bucks" so don't go there!

KMIV- Millville NJ. Blue Sky FBO is good. Right next door you get good panini sandwiches (Antinos)

Well,.. 8am here and hazy, but at least I can now see the tree across the street from my house, which was in a blanket of haze/fog at 6am this morning.

I've planned my trip to Blairstown, since it is just 50nm away, and with the haze this morning, I'm sure I'll have to wait to depart for a while. I may stop back at Sky Manor on the return leg, we'll have to see if time permits. I may hit the MAC machine and get some extra $$, and see if anyone is giving glider rides while I am there. It's been over 4 years since I was soaring.

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'm adding them to my list for places to visit after I get my certificate.

Have a good weekend!

How far are you from Bethel, PA. Grimes 8N1. Have you ever flown into there and looked the planes over in the museum? Nice grass landing strip and not to far to a eating place. Bob:blueplane:

Well,... no flying today. visibility is barely 3 in Haze, and I need 5 to fly solo as a student.

I haven't been to Grimes, but the FBO doesn't want it's rentals (student or PP) to land on non-paved strips. My instructor took me into Morgantown one time on a simulated engine out, and I was surprized we landed instead of going around. It was really neat.

So,.. I'm trying again for tomorrow at 1pm.

Well,... no flying today. visibility is barely 3 in Haze, and I need 5 to fly solo as a student.

I haven't been to Grimes, but the FBO doesn't want it's rentals (student or PP) to land on non-paved strips. My instructor took me into Morgantown one time on a simulated engine out, and I was surprized we landed instead of going around. It was really neat.

So,.. I'm trying again for tomorrow at 1pm.

Good luck tomorrow... supposed to be hotter than today. Sticky, too. Blecch.

I was at the show at KRDG, and it was damn near 100 degrees F. Also, barely- barely- VMC when I first got there, and it didn't improve very much. Reported vis was 3 in haze, and it was barely if that.
Good thing the warbirds were not laden with ordnance- the DA was probably near 4000. Nasty, sticky weather... not good for flying.

It's hard to imagine getting a combat-loaded Corsair off a dirt strip or carrier somewhere in worse conditions, then flying several hours in a 130-degree cockpit to go get shot at.... :no:

Looking nice here at 6am. ABE is reporting some fog now, but the dewpoint spread looks promising for a quick burn off. Left a message with the airport to try and see if I can get a plane at 10am, to try and beat the heat a little. We'll see :fcross:

I would have liked to head over to RDG for the show yesterday (or today) but I'm trying to sqeeze in this little bit of flying with family picnics (which ended up inside last night) and work. In the morning when I cancelled yesterday, DA was 2200 and rising like mad. Hard to believe it's only the first week of June.

...I was at the show at KRDG, ...

Did you fly in? I was there yesterday too. I drove in but the traffic and the lines to get in made me wish I had flown. It seemed like the crowds were larger than ever.

We canceled to KLHZ (Louisburg, NC) this morning, Mary got up feeling under the wx so here I sit. Rob, where are you flying today ?

Sorry Gary,.. just saw the post. I was walking out the door at 9, so I could fly at 10 today and avoid the heat.

Flew to Blairstown NJ and back, with a quick landing at Quakertown. Flight was nice, and it is a really nice airport. Glider operations were getting started when I arrived, with one in the pattern with me, so I went around once in the pattern to let him have the right of way.

Nice morning for flying. Allentown was very pleasant and gave traffic notices. More on my blog later,... but it was a good flight.

I forgot the camera in the car,.. but the camera phone did an ok job.

1.8 on the hobbs, as I took my time cruisin back.

Attachments

• Blairstown.jpg
    Blairstown.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 5
Flew to Blairstown NJ and back, with a quick landing at Quakertown.

Glad you liked Blairstown! It's a really nice place. When were you at Quakertown? The QPA group went to Orange County for breakfast, we were back by noon. If I knew you were stopping, would have made it a point to say hello.

Nice flight up at 8:30AM, bit bumpy and HOT!! by 11AM.

Gary

I departed Perkiomen at 10:17am, and went direct to Blairstown at 2500 feet. It was reported of 7 miles vis, but with the haze, it seemed less. There were only a few bumps here and there at that time, pretty smooth for the most part. Near Philipsburg, when you cross over that mountain, there were a few good hits that made your butt pop off the seat, but it wasn't more than a few seconds and then it was smooth again.

After departing Blairstown, I tracked back on the Pottstown VOR. When Allentown let me go, i was near my parents house in Quakertown, and decided that I was getting hot so I did a circling decent over their house from 2500 to 1500, before heading to UKT. Mid-field crosswind at TPA, then entered the downwind. No traffic around at UKT, and it was about 11:25 or so. There was a Gray and white cessna, with hard to read N-numbers at the pumps as I taxi'd back, and a bunch of hangars open.

It felt SOOoo Goood,.. to have the windows open coming down the taxiway.

Flight back to Perkiomen was uneventfull, and I was parked and inside the Air Conditioning at a few minutes to 12.

I was flying C152 - N48392 today,.. in case you may have heard me on CTAF.

No traffic around at UKT, and it was about 11:25 or so. There was a Gray and white cessna, with hard to read N-numbers at the pumps as I taxi'd back, and a bunch of hangars open.

OK - we didn't get back until noon, so you were way ahead of us. Should you want to head out for Sunday breakfast, the Quakertown Pilots Association gathers about 8AM, figure out where to go and launch. We are out most Sundays.

Gary

Very cool,... I'll definitely keep that in mind for a weekend coming up this summer.

Back