Placards and LEOs

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
I'm having to work on Saturday, so I'm in a little bit of a contrarian mood. And then I go and get an email from AOPA on my phone that has a weird conjunction of topics, I'm sure many here just got the same email.

There's a section heading for Pilot Portection Services - AOPA's legal and medical assistance group. Right under that is an article titled "Pilots and Placards", which reminds us that palacards have legal weight. Because of the two, the question jumps to mind "Do law enforcement officers have to follow placards IAW 91.9(a)?"

I was imaging a placard that said something like "Warning: Aircraft baggage compartment to be opened by authorized crew members only." That's reasonable, I don't want my passengers to be opening the baggage compartment, I'll do it. But does that restrict a LEO? If I was, say returning form the recent AOPA fly in on the west coast and got stopped by CBP for a suspicious left to right flight profile, would they be restricted from opening my baggage compartment by the placard?

My logic is that I don't want a bunch of uninformed people poking and prodding an airplane that I have to fly later. Who knows what they might mess up that costs me me money or more if I don't catch it.

As I said...working on a Saturday. Or, not working right now because I'm posting here :)

But I do get to fly later...

Last edited:
That placard doesn't mean squat if the police have the legal right to search your plane, and I stress legal right.

Back