Pittsburgh PA KPIT

Bravo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bravo
Anyone know the best time to fly a 172 in there? Is there any crazy landing fees etc, if we were just dropping off a passenger?

Im a pretty new pilot having 130 hours under my belt. I had to leave a car at the airport parking and since i live 3 hours away, i was going to split a flight up with a friend to pick it up. Ive also never landed at a class B airport.

My other options of nearby airports would involve getting a cab and 30-40 min drive to KPIT. Hoping to save that time from the 3 hour drive home.

Short of calling the facility and asking, it's tough to say. In its hey day, PIT was a huge USAir hub, but now I'm not so sure. As for easy GA relievers you may want to consider Beaver Falls. I'd probably start by calling the PIT FBO, followed by a quick call to the tower, they may be able to shed some light on the subject.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In its hey day, PIT was a huge USAir hub, but now I'm not so sure. I'd probably start by calling the PIT FBO, followed by a quick call to the tower, they may be able to shed some light on the subject.

Agree. The place is a ghost town now compared to the USAir hey days. I'd think getting in and out would be a pice of cake, just a matter of landing/FBO costs.

Anyone know the best time to fly a 172 in there? Is there any crazy landing fees etc, if we were just dropping off a passenger?

Im a pretty new pilot having 130 hours under my belt. I had to leave a car at the airport parking and since i live 3 hours away, i was going to split a flight up with a friend to pick it up. Ive also never landed at a class B airport.

My other options of nearby airports would involve getting a cab and 30-40 min drive to KPIT. Hoping to save that time from the 3 hour drive home.

It's about as busy as Columbus, OH these days...i.e. not very busy. If you can handle a mid size class C airport, PIT will not be a problem. Aside from the "cleared class bravo" from ATC when approaching, it's no different.

PIT is a Class B that really should be a Class C. Not sure about fees except they exist, not to mention the high fuel prices as one would expect at a Class B. The closest (in terms of car travel) GA reliever is BVI, which is about 25-30 minutes from PIT's parking lot. Unfortunately, the only bus service in Beaver does not stop at PIT, so you'd have to resort to a taxi service or rental car, which would probably end up being the cost of Atlantic's fees anyway. AGC is about 35-60 minutes away (compliments of Pittsburgh's "excellent" highway system and the Tunnel Monster that scares rush hour commuters and flatlanders), but if you want cheap ground transportation, bus service is available nearby with a connection "Dahntahn."

I grew up in Pgh and first learned to fly at AGC. I've spent many an hour among the runway lights at PIT watching the airliners (a long time ago in a place far far away). I've always wanted to fly into PIT but AGC is closer to my loved ones. I'm still looking for an excuse.

But I'm not one to hesitate from flying into a Class B if I have a need to and you have a need to, so I suggest you do it. It can't be much different than MIA or FLL or CLT.

You can call ahead to determine the fee schedule and such but I suggest otherwise....

Make the flight with the intent of topping off with some of that high $$ 100LL. Upon landing, let them know that you are just there to drop off a passenger and to get topped off. Sit down, have a cuppa while they top you off.

If there is a 'landing fee' charged by the airport they will probably charge it, but it probably won't be more than $10. If there is the onerous 'facility/handling/whatever' charge, it will probably be waived for the top off. Be nice to whoever is behind the desk. Be as clueless as you actually are. The person at the desk will generally want to get you out of there for as little as possible.

Tell them your story and ask for help getting to your car. Asking for help is always a good thing. People want to help. They will probably offer to drive you to it. The driver will appreciate a fiver but knows that if you were a pro, you'd probably stiff them.

Don't ask about fees. Pay the fuel bill and whatever else. If there is a $20 - $40 handling charge, tell them you thought it was waived for fuel. Celebrate the success, mount up, listen to ATIS, take your time with Clearance and leave more experienced than when you arrived.

More often than not, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well it works for us little guys in spam cans.

The city of Pittsburgh charges a fee of $19.20 (non-waiverable, even for Angel Flights). That's on top of any FBO fees. I can't find a fee schedule on the Atlantic website.

Thanks guys. Seems like it would prob be a wash as far as costs go. I think I will just go the kbvi route this time. The other pilot is not so fond of the idea unfortunitely and he is the one that will be flying out of there this time.

Two thoughts for anyone else who might find this thread:

The PIT approach controllers are some of the most helpful I've experienced. I was handed off to them on flight following while making a pretty large deviation for weather. He immediately gave me a Bravo clearance, and proactively offered to help steer me around some of the weather on a direct route rather than the deviation I had planned which saved me a ton of time.

Also, when I dropped a passenger at KCLE I got most of the info I needed from calling the FBO. They were able to tell me whether or not the time I wanted to come in was a heavy time (it wasn't) and what the fee schedule was. The fee schedule didn't matter, though, as the lady at the front desk was kind enough to waive it for me, even with no fuel. The only two things I would have changed about that trip would have been on the flight out. I would have done the runup on the FBO ramp, as there wasn't another good time to do it, and I would have asked for an intersection departure rather than taxiing all the way to the end of a 10,000 foot runway.

I just called Atlantic. She confirmed that it is really only busy during de-ice situations (which takes ME out of the picture anyway!) She was very helpful. To assist you with following MauleDrivers advice, here is the information you don't have to know:
12.17 Landing fee
10.00 Security fee
20.00 Tiedown fee per night (Waived the DAY you get gas...so get gas every day...)

Me and my 200hrs will be flying in on the evening of the 7th. I'll be listening in on LiveATC between now and then so I will sound like a pro.

Back