Pittsburgh, PA area airports

Doug States

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
dstates
I'm considering stopping in the Pittsburgh area in a couple weeks. My wife is a Cubs fan and they will be playing the Pirates when we are flying in that part of the country. Any suggestions on best airport in the area? Any hotel suggestions by the baseball stadium?

Thanks!

Last edited:
No input on best airports near my birthplace, but you should know that my relatives cheat at scrabble and there is a silent h on the end of Pittsburgh. You'd be very disappointed if you ended up at Pittsburg, CA, although Concord KCCR is the best airport to visit the (unknown attractions) there. :D

No input on best airports near my birthplace, but you should know that my relatives cheat at scrabble and there is a silent h on the end of Pittsburgh. You'd be very disappointed if you ended up at Pittsburg, CA, although Concord KCCR is the best airport to visit the (unknown attractions) there. :D
Maybe he’s just looking forward to getting the h out of Pittsburgh. ;)

Renaissance Hotel is across the river from the stadium. That area has great restaurants. Not sure on Airports, but could see one from the upper floors of the US Steel building when I was consulting there.

Noted and corrected....

Last year I flew into KAGC and stayed for a week. Got a reasonably priced rental car from the FBO, and it's close enough to downtown (~20-25min drive if I remember correctly). Only issue is that if you get an Uber, they seem to have trouble finding the FBO since it's off the beaten path. Also, there's a nice little, out-of-place looking cemetery on the edge of the FBO (literally immediately adjacent to the ramp). That helps encourage good ADM IMHO!

I stayed at the Westin downtown on Penn Ave, it was only about a 15 minute walk to the baseball field, a walk I did multiple times. It's a a scenic walk, too, since you get a good view of the river(s), the downtown, and the stadium. There are also a number of hotels immediately next to the field if you're looking for something super close. There's a convenient stretch of bars and restaurants there, too. During my week there I think I might have visited every single one of them :)

Also, Pittsburgh ATC automatically just handed me clearance into the bravo airspace when I was on flight following both on arrival/departure. That made it easier and more direct to get to AGC coming from/departing to the west. I think it's a much quieter bravo from what I could tell.

Pittsburgh is a nice town, enjoy your stay!

PNC park:
qsQV-IAGMrb7m62HP_NIx7RJfigmhy6cByhRnEXw-5rluWTdeMJQW5u2CXUN17BQoCeih1wFWTSKHa_OEj7ruGQLST40JF2xqyIF52vfx6tyg-19w_HtNRKYyJhaK4o3ZJpeNQ-_bu4hcsvCiVn5kTik7IJMrJT-k50pOROAxwMWx2evmo5RXVDwJQ7S_nuqkLE4b2lEgR8MRLUCR34BfFdHPYpl4x84ROPizajNybEtosDzbnjk_InnB1YmffaLbnnL27FXAERhuQzcQq3PxboJFPIPrxJUtZk73HgtgUQmOOpJjKX52yWRgR0ywI1V_B1cRxEs7462V3STeOSexZU-kGjflT4oi5Q5PeG4aovPchMJwhNEbnoS-1IVrA9QP2cR_LUrf8kHPCHfF7RiUP1h26HXbjzeV_828uNtwvouqdoiHMCxtC1p-8LMBtGlvVG-71_JW6Ggw05O-WdQzBMNVE4Hte-h2YYveaaRKvvTubKu9cOeiYbRF0ngg-ACN09hj-RTcrMGppdyJwERjX8qDSliBFVQmV1RMbTI-y4RNEftMozMPMnchDuVZqW8H3Cyy6a5Say4ML1IFUMjeKfWYtzF6EebzNU5bK2kh8i8UdL45HGabgN857bZv3wCrxIaPdMfeyb1RGJm_XNsigIapv7-xFL0EI2ZvhCyzTFxigKm_T78mlkx2z552mpxmxMSocmM_WzFiNquf5r20WaF3pRaHoydKTqPtXG9DZcDOYUBeTudq1vaa1rNjfs=w1730-h1297-no

The bridge offers a nice view of the city. I think it's the Warhol bridge.
am5fS2Qij4_TBJ3fiUOpgX5pJjtwfMZOfdNcJxC340wfm-Pnbfb8erQrE_9NFTdfK9RwIxms_fUITE3sAmzJZbv2GQYu45UVzFBBXswl-Q0rpyAyJUuAXPoUCRMNS77dUjydYRl7SsEmT4NXEtwctYoxTsXHXAoeakSoDxAs21DWNa778n7iBdlk7UqESmBVV4zSWnmhg1gClpmYPFlyyJDX4KnZykcEfQ5lc2qOTU98syIMljp_f_NYmnAGr9wuYE3CSn8RawLVTHPIhiJqh84E_Q77nRLv-pCE2qTXXX1Bov63gggk-lfBA7k02AJjrEJAWHxi-edjCHG35VNu4LeA4iBijdFJAt-JBJF0domFUmFGU7xy1V_EOCmlMVzRbwYIz1KhuAQ-IEXEtIYglRXxR_yN0j8qwRJQvLGJq4OApNkAGEhGpESbMDDXjc-GBiAVa0jwrQM6-4nJQMvrl0JHcXPld26R_wvArYTAjcfetE5xerrNwhALvwuIaSrpAQsYDorDFSkinBIsmUeZskXLRS5tDj7d6bzr4eRx3PyLoYuVuYj2JHFa3hrCd95fVmifxQFeDdO7sJUAMZeeqicHppLkQqwvJn_8izoKMi1ngFzSYSG9oC3kerWvZz2krBvbmrrkt_zkx-IwVuvGIcakfPMA8iLzy7gTT3l7eBZXvfdHxQf-KPg-1QWdpNCLT_awt5Kdti_8FTubcietKTXK9QHF9KCp8IMAxXhP2ZkCmRKEkLQ2ZKtx0s2Atl4=w1730-h1297-no

This looks like an ominous photo w/the clouds, but it's actually very scenic with the rivers/hills.
VeMAnIdVqrP6JoIb9Zttss4P784xjHFDmt0-nJKBFjZ-XXeXefR_qly8PUl8XLfffP7jxxkvP1pUnByv8P5Anhd60k2C_xWquVLbvZJZt1e8Lp6BbBGyeN-e4bsiAc8XygIcFiVHnv_l6HRn8pidfXKLlBgRAjlET7LsAtlEnS1GMgeEomX50VhjNuB3MiTb2ExunAeK5vY56L2ZtmF5zkAXU4oo0vwyExTlOQ8HgO8FiyttluRaNrBx3iPKqG5dmVhAXWVBDKIZ2mU3O1JIHBV4utFhpC1OEX4RI3a1jwBaTn_IY07rIo6BibeH0GRCw7ckOI6z0VvxN4I7tRhm3dLeQxnTOmrP_G24lrsKfPHS-l4l4xJRYzDn2HTQtHdLvYYG_be25TK-539CCoOjTNt57kAxOc1d0WCVcbyel6tINBQYIS_I_6_nLdX7Jyr_KazABI8mu5GFZu7dzKgoD6wVg9bSi7TZOMqVp3ZSURC2FU7WZWfsKVZlUsXEpgRjdQlC6CkfKgBf1RL0pRF-s9yYOzjHEn-3W2alVJivhD9TBGL7BGQUdmnW5onYL8FlDIpiqVL6sCuGZczcWmt_gIh9CgEdOeNEzWooAd_NH8Ju-7Pe7LP0E4roh_oKqVKXtJ5bgwzvj_iIYx4MQmjDK-CQXHdoR9ULs7Mi8Nz39BUgPtZRrc2wYyemFOccfqS8j1gR26PMQOL5pzJCJV61ZGBPsylbL_G6XK2fzBP48zuPBTgbHAyJ2zNn-Ap6yV4=w1730-h1297-no

Last edited:
KAGC was the one I could see while downtown. Agree with all that @Tom Wells said. Westin is nice, but helps if you have some Marriott Status to get a decent room. I really liked Pittsburgh, was there Mon - Thurs for about 6 years.

Thanks for the comments on AGC. Any FBO preference? Corporate Air vs. Atlantic? I called them and got their fees... seems like Corporate fees are slightly lower.

I used Atlantic and had a good experience, but I don't have a comparison point for Corporate.

By pure coincidence I was cleaning out my flight bag today and found my receipts for the Pittsburgh trip.
I actually used the Lynx FBO, which I think has been replaced by Atlantic? They're in the same place that Lynx used to be... So I guess I can't speak to the new corporate ownership for the FBO!

Last trip I took to Pittsburgh we flew into KAGC which was very nice and GA-friendly. I went with Atlantic. Rental car was a snap if you need one. We stayed in the Hyatt Place North Shore with is right next to the stadium, but there are other hotels nearby, too. You are also within walking distance to the Carnegie Science Center, the Andy Warhol Museum, and a brewpub.

The one time I flew to Pittsburgh I flew into PIT. It was GA friendly. It wasn’t super cheap but was reasonable for a Bravo.

I’ve stopped once at AGC, but it was just for fuel so I can’t comment on how easy it is to get to the city.

Pittsburgh ATC is great— they helped me around some weather in the days before ADS-B.

Let me just say... I hope you're not at tonight's ballgame in Pittsburgh (unless you're a cubs fan)!

AGC is the smart choice. PIT won't fee you to death like some big airports, but the trip into the City is easier from AGC.

We had a good trip to Pittsburgh. We landed at AGC (Allegheny County) and got quick fuel service from Corporate Air. We then got an Uber to take us to our hotel. Since we were going to the Pirates game that night we got a nice room at the Residence Inn which is right across the street from home plate at PNC Park. We were early enough in the day we walked across one of the bridges over the Allegheny River to the downtown area and had a late lunch at Primanti Brothers (recommended by our Uber driver as a local specialty). They were busy, but food was good. We also went to the Andy Warhol museum. I expected a little more "Campbell Soup art", but there wasn't much of that. Turns out his personal art wasn't something I enjoyed. The ball game didn't go so well for my wife who is a Cubs fan, but we had a good time. The next day we took a Lyft back to the airport and headed north to Niagara Falls. It was a quick and simple trip.

Primanti Bros is a good option on the list of "if you're in Pittsburgh" foods. Just to say you've had one of their sandwiches. My Royals are about even your wife's Cubs, so she gets no sympathy from me, lol.

Back