Pitts update

Bill1200

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bill1200
Well, I see why everyone who has flown one raves about it. Very fun to fly, I'm still a bit heavy handed with it but getting better. Landings, still VERY challenging. The only type of approach we have trained so far is about 100mph base to final, cut power about 1/2 to 3/4 mile out depeding on wind, pitch for 95, line up, wait to see the sides of runway, go from there. Tail wheel first, plop. Nothing finesse about it :). Then that time interval between about 40-50 mph, lots of fun there. Amazing how quickly things can go bad. Lots of go arounds. Great experience.

That's a good way to start. And then as you get better you can fly a bit slower. My preferred approach was 95 on downwind (starting at 1000 feet agl) to abeam the numbers, power to idle, then a 45 degree bank, holding 95 mph, through 180 degrees. That would put you right on the threshold at 95 mph and 20 feet agl, depending on wind, of course. That keeps the runway in view the whole time until you go wings level. Then use peripheral vision of the runway edges to keep centered and bleed off the speed. As you know, when the wings stop flying they stop in a hurry. Stalling at more than about 2 feet agl will definitely get your attention.

More challenging is the controlled field where you have to fly a "normal" downwind, base and final. In that case, I would hold pattern altitude to about 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile final and periodically slip it so I could see the runway. Then chop the power and push the nose over to see the runway. In that case, you get a little too much speed to land so you have to pitch up a bit (which blocks your view of the runway) starting at about 75 feet agl, so there's a little more guesswork involved that last 50-70 feet down unless the runway is very wide.

Must feel real good, turning a corner on getting the feel for that thing. I'd like to fly one one of these days. :D

That's a good way to start. And then as you get better you can fly a bit slower. My preferred approach was 95 on downwind (starting at 1000 feet agl) to abeam the numbers, power to idle, then a 45 degree bank, holding 95 mph, through 180 degrees. That would put you right on the threshold at 95 mph and 20 feet agl, depending on wind, of course. That keeps the runway in view the whole time until you go wings level."

Can't wait for that, sounds like fun and being able to see the runway!

"The airshow begins when the Pitts flairs to land!" - Norm Crabtree, former Director of the Ohio Division of Aviation (Gone West)

Back