Pitts Practice

Kool flyin.......

Since I am not up to speed on aerobatics do you have to call FS to get a aero box over an airport ?

Great footage! A few questions.

Was the camera a helmet mount?
What is the square, black device off your left wing? Is is some kind of antenna?

Yep, practice was at 5W8, landing back at TTA (victor airway prevents practice at TTA).

You can't simply call FS and get an aerobatic box. A box is only required if you need to waive a particular FAR regarding aerobatic flight. None needed here, since the criteria of 91.303 were met. There were two other guys on the ground, one with a radio on "box" freq who could talk to me, and one on CTAF spotting for traffic.

Camera is a Drift HD 170 with elastic strap mount. I don't wear a hard helmet, so just strapped it around my headset/cloth helmet. I like this over fixed mounting since you can swivel and see both axes as needed. It's a good way to review and critique acro afterwards.

Last edited:
Yep, practice was at 5W8, landing back at TTA (victor airway prevents practice at TTA).

Cool... yup I recognized TTA in the final clip. I was out there yesterday doing some solo air work (away from the airport of course).. trying my hand at chandelles, did a few stalls, simulated engine failures and soft/short field practice since I will be flying to 9w9 next weekend. First flight in a long time that was not point A to point B so I had some fun with it.

I'd love to have a look at that pitts sometime, I've only seen it from a distance! I'll be basing an airplane out of the FBO and not the flying club starting next weekend so i'll probably see you around.

Great stuff.

I really need to start carrying a camera on my acro flights....

What is the square, black device off your left wing? Is is some kind of antenna?

Oh, and that's a sighting device for making you think you're drawing perfect vertical and 45 lines, when in fact, the judges disagree. :)

Great video! Infact its the first acro one I've seen that I can actually understand and see what the manuver is.

Awesome video! Nice job on the power off 180 at the end. The only thing I can really understand how to do. lol No acro experience here, yet. :(

Thanks for posting it. Very nice.

Damn man!
Didn't nobody teach you that if you cross the controls in a areplane you was gonna' die??? And you got away with it a couple of times during that sequence and landing...:yikes:

Fiseyou I sure git me some time with a instructor 'fore you kills yoursef.:idea:

Other than that; THAT was purdy!!

BTW; does your Pitts have the Low-Bounce landing gear??? Damn sure looked like it!

Chris (flying the box the S1 is shipped in...)

I love the rolling turns.

Talk about a brain stretcher the first time...

BTW; does your Pitts have the Low-Bounce landing gear??? Damn sure looked like it!

Yep, I stuck Champ gear on it. :) But anyway, what the stiff Pitts bungee gear lacks in height of bounces can make up for in quantity. Don't touch down 3-pt or a little tailwheel first, and you'll get the classic Pitts 'hippity hop'. I've seen Pitts' log about 10 landings for the price of one. :)

Very nice job, is that the 2012 Intermediate known?

Thanks - just a few figures from it. For some reason, didn't have the camera running when I went through the whole thing. I'll have to post that...and also the 2012 Advanced Known, which will be entertainment value only. :)

Eric

Believe I saw you yesterday.. Was holding short at 21 in a c152 while you completed a power off landing. It looked real good!

Last edited:
Believe I saw you yesterday.. Was holding short at 21 in a c152 while you completed a power off landing. It looked real good!

That plane is so pretty it would be hard to miss. Assuming his plane is the one in his avatar of course.

Believe I saw you yesterday.. Was holding short at 21 in a c152 while you completed a power off landing.

Cool - it was one helluva day to be flying. PM me if you're out on a weekend and have any interest in flying a nice Clipped-Wing Cub. We share a hangar, and I fly the Cub a good bit too. Lots of fun.

Cool - it was one helluva day to be flying. PM me if you're out on a weekend and have any interest in flying a nice Clipped-Wing Cub. We share a hangar, and I fly the Cub a good bit too. Lots of fun.

Of course I am interested in flying a clipped wing cub. PM sent !

Back