Pitts Flight - IAC Nationals

whifferdill

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
whifferdill
This is a good video and commentary from a young Pitts S-1S pilot of his Advanced Unknown flight at IAC Nationals a couple weeks ago. The "Unknown" is the 3rd flight program, and involves a sequence that the pilots receive the day before (and have never seen), and cannot be practiced except on the ground and in your head. This particular flight placed 5th out of 18, which is very good considering many of the best pilots in the country attend Nationals, and almost everyone else is flying 6-cylinder monoplanes in the Advanced category. This is about as clean as you'll see anyone fly a Pitts. This is a good glimpse of what goes on in our heads while we're flying a sequence. Except for a pumped up motor, this is a stock Pitts S-1S. Sadly, mine is stuck with 180hp. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDT1akSLc_0

Last edited:
That was nicely done.. Flying and explanation.

What's a P loop?

What's a P loop?

Real simple. There are P-loops up, and P-loops down. P-loop up would be a vertical upline to a 3/4 loop back to horizontal flight. P-loop down would be a 3/4 loop to a vertical downline, then back to horizontal flight. Vertical line lengths, like any line length are up to the pilot, but the lines must be perceptible, and the looping segments must be round. Shape of the figure resembles a letter 'P'.

Kinda figured that, makes sense... I'll re watch the video....

His Cub Shred video is...."interesting"....not sure if I would want that stuff on the internet...

Last edited:
That is great. It seems so calm and slow from that perspective.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

Flies like his father and namesake grandfather.

His Cub Shred video is...."interesting"....not sure if I would want that stuff on the internet...

Looks like harmless fun to me. Pilots at SZP are known to have fun despite occasional complaints by the fun and safety police. Display of ability in an airplane really bothers some people.

Looks like harmless fun to me. Pilots at SZP are known to have fun despite occasional complaints by the fun and safety police. Display of ability in an airplane really bothers some people.

That entertainment is most often found on the Red Board.

I never once said it wasn't fun or safe. We all have our fun...I did however imply that i wouldn't want a video of myself in clear violation of several regs posted on the internet, mainly because I am a professional pilot with a career to think about. Carry on.

I never once said it wasn't fun or safe. We all have our fun..

I know - didn't mean you.

I did however imply that i wouldn't want a video of myself in clear violation of several regs posted on the internet...

However, which ones? I can't think of any "clear" violations. I can only think of one possible, which is the 500 ft rule - which I think is unlikely to be applied to airport operations unless somebody in the FSDO really had a stick up their ass over this pilot. I think this pilot is pretty safe here, all things considered.

Not sure the point of questioning the widsom of this person posting this video on the internet, which YOU then re-post here, and which was entirely unrelated to this thread.

Last edited:
I know - didn't mean you.

However, which ones? I can't think of any "clear" violations. I can only think of one possible, which is the 500 ft rule - which I think is unlikely to be applied to airport operations unless somebody in the FSDO really had a stick up their ass over this pilot. I think this pilot is pretty safe here, all things considered.

I find it a little funny that you question the widsom of this person posting this video on the internet, which YOU then re-post here, and which was entirely unrelated to this thread.

Negligent operations on the apron is the only thing I saw, if he would have kept it in between the lines he would be golden.

Unlike many others...im not jumping at the chance to get in a regulation ****ing contest on some internet forum. However, 91.13, 91.119, and 91.303 come to mind.

Like i said, it does look like fun...we all do it. Just be cautious with what you leave on the internet for everyone to see.

Last edited:
This is a good video and commentary from a young Pitts S-1S pilot of his Advanced Unknown flight at IAC Nationals a couple weeks ago. The "Unknown" is the 3rd flight program, and involves a sequence that the pilots receive the day before (and have never seen), and cannot be practiced except on the ground and in your head. This particular flight placed 5th out of 18, which is very good considering many of the best pilots in the country attend Nationals, and almost everyone else is flying 6-cylinder monoplanes in the Advanced category. This is about as clean as you'll see anyone fly a Pitts. This is a good glimpse of what goes on in our heads while we're flying a sequence. Except for a pumped up motor, this is a stock Pitts S-1S. Sadly, mine is stuck with 180hp. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDT1akSLc_0

Thanks for posting

Sammy is fantastic. Really one of the few taking the S1S that far in competition.

Back