Pitstops in NW FL?

Frogs97

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Frogs97
So you know those days you REALLY don't want to be doing your "real job"? That's today. Actually, lots of them lately, but especially today. So I'm dreaming up ways to justify the plane I want to eventually get. My wife's a travel agent that specializes in Disney, and her best friend lives in Slidell, LA (KASD). Kills two birds with one stone by flying said plane to Orlando, by way of Slidell going and coming. How can she say no?!?!

Anywho, I was messing around flight planning that, and was wondering if anyone knew of any nice airports to stop in NW FL area. I figured on doing the VFR corridor through the Jacksonville area, and try to find something on the other side to stretch our legs and grab a bite. Any good options in that area?

And please tell me I not the only one that does this kind of thing for fun. I know I'm a bit of an odd duck on some things, but you guys do this crap too, right?

NW FL or NE FL? NW, then Pensacola is the place to go. Get a courtesy car and get lunch at Mcguire's Pub or check out the Naval Aviation museum. Around JAX, Craig or Cecil or go down to St Augistine. Lots of aviation history in those airports.

NW FL or NE FL? NW, then Pensacola is the place to go. Get a courtesy car and get lunch at Mcguire's Pub or check out the Naval Aviation museum. Around JAX, Craig or Cecil or go down to St Augistine. Lots of aviation history in those airports.

Well, maybe my understanding of what counts as NW is off. I was thinking along the Gulf coast closer to the peninsula, and not way off in the panhandle. Pensacola sounds awesome, but might be too close to Slidell on the way to FL to serve my purpose. I was thinking in the Panama City/Tallahassee area to try and break up the trip.

Though, it sounds like I have to make a trip to the Pensacola, too!

Flagler beach,st.augustine,are both great stops,that's fits the NW.

Well, maybe my understanding of what counts as NW is off. I was thinking along the Gulf coast closer to the peninsula, and not way off in the panhandle. Pensacola sounds awesome, but might be too close to Slidell on the way to FL to serve my purpose. I was thinking in the Panama City/Tallahassee area to try and break up the trip.

Though, it sounds like I have to make a trip to the Pensacola, too!

Well Destin is nice. Right next to the beach. TLH is a good Class C. Not very busy and easy to get in and out. Plenty of restaurants within a quick driving distance. Been to PC Beach as well. Just like TLH, easy in and out and good seafood restaurants just down the road.

If you want cheap gas, I'd go up to EDN in Alabama. They used to be one of the cheapest around when I lived there. Nothing extravagant, just a plain Jane FBO but a very quick stop with cheap gas. Look out for Army RW traffic. Alert area 211 is very busy and they frequent EDN for IAPs.

KCDK

Nice little strip and town. The only taxi in town monitors the CTAF...lol

Land, go into town, and have the freshest gulf seafood.

PS: here's a video of one of my visits..2 years ago, I had just got my PPL and took my family from Spain there....enjoy the scared $h!tless look on both him at my face as we landed into the 2400ft strip ending in the water LOL

https://youtu.be/xRWe48Y7NSs

Last edited:
I'm based at EDN and gas is $4.42/Gallon now. Come on in and if you want to stay a little bit you can go to the FT. Rucker Army Aviation Museum. Not nearly as nice as the Naval one, but its ours.

I'm based at EDN and gas is $4.42/Gallon now. Come on in and if you want to stay a little bit you can go to the FT. Rucker Army Aviation Museum. Not nearly as nice as the Naval one, but its ours.

They've done a good job acquiring exhibits in recent years at Rucker but they still have a ways to go. They need to put an addition on to the main building to house an IMAX theater and bring all the "one of a kinds" that they've got hidden away and bring them in for public display. Got to get more interactive displays like cockpits to sit in and some sort of simulator...got to be an old AVCATT laying around somewhere that's not being used.

Problem is securing the funds to make all that happen. Army Aviation is the red headed step child of the Army. No one is going to want to divert funds from other projects so Army Aviation can have a nice museum.

Well Destin is nice. Right next to the beach. TLH is a good Class C. Not very busy and easy to get in and out. Plenty of restaurants within a quick driving distance. Been to PC Beach as well. Just like TLH, easy in and out and good seafood restaurants just down the road.

If you want cheap gas, I'd go up to EDN in Alabama. They used to be one of the cheapest around when I lived there. Nothing extravagant, just a plain Jane FBO but a very quick stop with cheap gas. Look out for Army RW traffic. Alert area 211 is very busy and they frequent EDN for IAPs.

Panama City Beach has closed the downtown airport and the new one is out in the middle of nowhere KECP.

Destin KDTS is a nice day stop. Gorgeous beaches and a smaller town feel especially in the off season. Also great fishing if thats something you're interested in.

KPNS is a nice Class C, very GA friendly.

Panama City Beach has closed the downtown airport and the new one is out in the middle of nowhere KECP.

Destin KDTS is a nice day stop. Gorgeous beaches and a smaller town feel especially in the off season. Also great fishing if thats something you're interested in.

KPNS is a nice Class C, very GA friendly.

Cool. I saw that new airport in the middle of nowhere but didn't realize downtown closed.

They've done a good job acquiring exhibits in recent years at Rucker but they still have a ways to go. They need to put an addition on to the main building to house an IMAX theater and bring all the "one of a kinds" that they've got hidden away and bring them in for public display. Got to get more interactive displays like cockpits to sit in and some sort of simulator...got to be an old AVCATT laying around somewhere that's not being used.

Problem is securing the funds to make all that happen. Army Aviation is the red headed step child of the Army. No one is going to want to divert funds from other projects so Army Aviation can have a nice museum.

Yes, the airplanes in storage are pretty awesome. I take the students there when I can. And you're right, we're 50% of the budget already. We aren't getting anymore money from a ground force. Haha.

KCDK

Nice little strip and town. The only taxi in town monitors the CTAF...lol

Land, go into town, and have the freshest gulf seafood.

PS: here's a video of one of my visits..2 years ago, I had just got my PPL and took my family from Spain there....enjoy the scared $h!tless look on both him at my face as we landed into the 2400ft strip ending in the water LOL

https://youtu.be/xRWe48Y7NSs
I second this! Flew in for dinner one evening. The approach is beautiful, the runway makes a good challenge, and that seafood! :goofy:

Cross City (KCTY). Cheap fuel and they will pump it for you

Back