Pitot Tube Covers -- Use Them!

Wouldn't a VNE+ dive blow that crap out of there?

:wink2:

Only if you did a zoom climb first. Such a combination would have to be the safest maneuver in aviation history.

Never had a clogged pitot tube, but once on takeoff from a grass strip, a grasshopper somehow became lodged in my pneumatic stall slot...noticed him after landing..;)

If you're hitting 40-50 kts before reaching full power you're wasting runway and not getting the performance the POH lists.

I probably take 5 seconds to go from idle to full throttle... My engine/prop is healthy and smoooooooth and I want to keep it that way. And I don't worry much about takeoff performance - If I landed there, I can take off from there with slow application of power and normal technique.

0-60 in 5 seconds? Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

Sorry, methinks the cheese curds are affecting your brain.

0-60 in 5 seconds? Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

Sorry, methinks the cheese curds are affecting your brain.

I didn't say 60, I said 40.

Also, I don't think I'm actually traveling 40 knots... I think there may be an interaction between the prop wash and the ground that's pushing more air into the pitot, or an instrument error at the very low end, or both. In my case, the pitot is under the left wing, but well outboard of the prop arc.

Either way, I'm generally above 40 KIAS when I'm finished adding power, and I estimate it's 5-6 seconds to do so. Airspeed is ALWAYS alive before the throttle is all the way in.

I didn't say 60, I said 40.

Also, I don't think I'm actually traveling 40 knots... I think there may be an interaction between the prop wash and the ground that's pushing more air into the pitot, or an instrument error at the very low end, or both. In my case, the pitot is under the left wing, but well outboard of the prop arc.

Either way, I'm generally above 40 KIAS when I'm finished adding power, and I estimate it's 5-6 seconds to do so. Airspeed is ALWAYS alive before the throttle is all the way in.

50 knots it 57.change mph. Close enough to say 0-60. There is no way in hell your Mooney - well, whoever's Mooney it is - is even remotely close to being as fast as a high end sports car in acceleration. I mean I realize the Mooney is the awesomest plane ever, (or was that the Diamond, or the 182?) but to say it is even relatively close to sports car fast off the line, is just plane (SWIDT?) retarded.

50 knots it 57.change mph. Close enough to say 0-60. There is no way in hell your Mooney - well, whoever's Mooney it is - is even remotely close to being as fast as a high end sports car in acceleration. I mean I realize the Mooney is the awesomest plane ever, (or was that the Diamond, or the 182?) but to say it is even relatively close to sports car fast off the line, is just plane (SWIDT?) retarded.

Dude, read my post. I don't think I'm actually going that fast. That's just what the airspeed indicator says. So "Airspeed alive" is first. That's all.

Also, it's generally much closer to 40 than 50... So 46 mph.

Never said I had JATO like your Cherokee did. ;)

I cover them all.

I had a mud dauber clog a gas tank exhaust vent.
Wet wing started to collapse for lack of a better word in flight.

I was very new and had no clue at the time. I literally said "Well it is a new to me plane probably always been like that and I just hadn't noticed the dents before.

Landed and it took a lot of strength to get the gas cap off. WHOOOOOSH!
dents popped out.

Should have switched tanks and landed at that moment. :mad2:

Dude, that is one hell of a story. How many hours did you have when you did this?

Ovation is between 40-50 KIAS by the time I hit full throttle. :goofy:

I probably take 5 seconds to go from idle to full throttle...

What am I missing? You mentioned 50kts, and 5 seconds.

I mean if you want to amend your post to something radically different, go ahead. But 5 seconds and 40-50KIAS, no way. One of the numbers is wrong.

I mean if you want to amend your post to something radically different, go ahead. But 5 seconds and 40-50KIAS, no way. One of the numbers is wrong.

Without the high end sports car comparison that was my point. I don't believe the five seconds as humans are pretty bad at guesstimating time. I do believe the 40-50 kts as humans ARE visual creatures and I do believe he looks at the ASI.

Sooooooo, he's taking WAY too long to get the power in and the POH isn't written for that delay in full power. Also, his argument of 'if I can get in you can get out' is seldome the case. Most takeoff rolls are longer than landing rolls and taking as long as he does to add power only makes it worse.

I'm not telling anyone how to fly their plane. Just pointing out facts. Do what you like with them.

Without the high end sports car comparison that was my point. I don't believe the five seconds as humans are pretty bad at guesstimating time. I do believe the 40-50 kts as humans ARE visual creatures and I do believe he looks at the ASI.

Sooooooo, he's taking WAY too long to get the power in and the POH isn't written for that delay in full power. Also, his argument of 'if I can get in you can get out' is seldom the case. Most takeoff rolls are longer than landing rolls and taking as long as he does to add power only makes it worse.

I'm not telling anyone how to fly their plane. Just pointing out facts. Do what you like with them.

Yeah, I'm with you on that as well. If I want to *really* stop it, I can usually do that around 50% of my t/o roll with the Comanche. But I can't make the plane fly any earlier than it really wants to.

You seem to have missed this:

I suggest a getting stopwatch and see what the case actually is.

Mooney - not only Corvette fast in the air, but on the ground as well!

Sheesh... I'll have to take the GoPro next time so I can take a stopwatch to it after the fact.

Sooooooo, he's taking WAY too long to get the power in and the POH isn't written for that delay in full power.

If I was taking off from a short field, I'd use a different technique - Either full power prior to brake release, or push it in faster as I'm rolling onto the runway. My home 'drome has 2 runways, 3200 and 4100 feet, so I'm not as concerned about the takeoff roll being a hair longer as I am about making my engine last as long as possible.

Also, his argument of 'if I can get in you can get out' is seldome the case. Most takeoff rolls are longer than landing rolls and taking as long as he does to add power only makes it worse.

In most airplanes, you are correct. The Ovation, however, is overpowered.

According to the POH, sea level, standard day, max gross weight, no wind, takeoff roll is a hair under 1000 feet and it's about 2250 to clear the mythical 50-foot obstacle. Landing over the 50-foot obstacle under the same conditions is about 2700, and ground roll about 1250.

Dude, that is one hell of a story. How many hours did you have when you did this?

I've heard of it happening before on Grummans as well. Just pilots not doing a good preflight on the fuel vents.

Imagine if you had sucked that yellow goo out when you were "servicing" that pitot the first time... hehe

I had an in-flight air-to-air combat with a yellow jacket in the cockpit of a 172 once (nearest folded sectional chart gave its last full measure in the battle). Seems he had made himself comfortable in the air vent. After that, I pre-flighted all external openings with a new sense of vigilance. Early in my training it was demonstrated to me how to test the stall warning horn with a bit of negative pressure over the opening (aka, kissing your Itallian mistress, Cessna). Drawing through a handkerchief placed over the opening gives me a little piece of mind.

I'm frankly amazed that such an obvious requirement is a thread thought worthy of discussion ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm frankly amazed that such an obvious requirement is a thread thought worthy of discussion ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may have noticed that most of the "discussion" is tangential (at best!) to the actual topic. Pilots with ADD often dominate chatrooms. :lol:

Back