Pitot Tube Cover

U

Unregistered

I passed my private checkride last week and took my first passenger yesterday. We flew to our destination, spent a few hours there, then departed. On the takeoff roll, the airspeed indicator came alive as normal (maybe a little slower in retrospect but not by much), but by 50 kts indicated the plane (172SP) was bouncing and really wanted to fly. I rotated and leveled out to accelerate to Vy (74 kts) but the AI wouldn't go above 55. I pulled the nose up and pitched for the correct airspeed but the AI stayed at 55, even though the plane was handling like it does at Vy. I pushed the nose down to try to get the airspeed up and hit 60 indicated, but it wouldn't go any higher. I pitched up again and now I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with the AI. Then I looked out the left window and my heart sank. Yup, the pitot tube cover was still on. I was originally planning on making a right turn on course, but I immediately turned left base (there was no one else in the area), and told the tower, "I need to make this closed pattern." He approved me for left traffic and cleared me to land. Then he asked, "Do you need any assistance?" I replied "negative". I did not say anything to my passenger or clarify the situation to the tower. I'm not sure if this was the right decision, but communicating was definitely not my priority at this time. I flew the pattern and nailed the landing. I explained the situation to the tower on the landing roll. My passenger said he was confused but not nervous since I sounded so calm. I'm very glad that I made several flights recently with my CFI with the whole panel covered. This included takeoffs, landings, and stalls. I'm very surprised that the AI sort of worked (obviously not accurately) with the cover on. If the AI never came alive at all, I definitely would have aborted the takeoff. I did a walk around before the flight, but not an entire preflight since it was my return trip.

Bet you never do that again!

Nice job staying calm and not scaring your passenger.

And congrats on passing your checkride!

I'm also surprised you got an airspeed reading; just water in the system had it stay at 0 following a quick thunderstorm during which I didn't put a cover on. This situation on an IFR departure would make things interesting. Looking back at some of my weather decision... not sure how well that would have gone.

I'm also surprised you got an airspeed reading; just water in the system had it stay at 0 following a quick thunderstorm during which I didn't put a cover on. This situation on an IFR departure would make things interesting. Looking back at some of my weather decision... not sure how well that would have gone.

We're talking about a pretty thick vinyl (I think) cover that was completely on. I examined it afterwords and there were no holes. The material does not seem porous at all. I'm still pretty confused about it.

Good decision to ignore the ASI and go with pitch. Also, good decision not to go crazy and panic and do something silly, like trying to abort from above liftoff speed -- aborted takeoffs are among the most dangerous things you can do in flying.

Haven't flown a Cessna in awhile...aren't there two static ports on it. Which was not covered so it partially worked.

Haven't flown a Cessna in awhile...aren't there two static ports on it. Which was not covered so it partially worked.

There is an alternate static port in the cabin, but that doesn't help when the pitot tube is blocked.

I'd have the system checked out. With a blocked pitot tube you shouldn't have seen above 0.

[But great handling of the problem.]

I'd have the system checked out. With a blocked pitot tube you shouldn't have seen above 0.

[But great handling of the problem.]

ASI indications seemed complete normal with the cover removed, before and after this incident. I can't think of a pitot-static system problem that would cause this, but I also can't believe that the cover would allow enough airflow for an indicated 60 kts when I was probably doing 80-90 (based on power setting, pitch attitude, and how the plane was handling).

I look over at the pitot tube frequently while taxiiing. Also, uncovering it is the first thing I do, even before unlocking the bird and dropping flaps.

Well handled, all things considered.

Somebody makes a soft rigid cover with a 2" x 4" rectangular "hang down" that is perpendicular to relative wind. If the plane accelerates to sufficient speed to displace the cover, the hangdown pivots backwards and uncovers the pitot tube. The cover then falls away.

Somebody makes a soft rigid cover with a 2" x 4" rectangular "hang down" that is perpendicular to relative wind. If the plane accelerates to sufficient speed to displace the cover, the hangdown pivots backwards and uncovers the pitot tube. The cover then falls away.

The velcro was worn down so my CFI taught me to tie the hangdown around the pitot tube to keep it in place. It was still tied up like this when I noticed the problem in the air. Even when loose, it was parallel, not perpendicular, to the relative wind.

Our club has recently adopted covering the PA-28 pitot blade with a tennis ball. I missed it on preflight (law of primacy - the first time in my pilot career that I have flown planes with pitot cover...) but I caught it on the takeoff run. ASI inop. Grumble, abort the takeoff with plenty of runway left, and dismount and remover the tennis ball.

The embarrassing part is that my wife was my pax, and the first time she has flown with me in a long time. Sure, I am a competent pilot! :redface:

Given the single door on the right in the Pipers, she dismounted and removed it for me.

Yes, it is the last time I will forget that item!

-Skip

I don't see a question, so thanks for sharing.
It's pretty common, don't feel bad.
Good example of what flying with inop equipment can do! (I do mean the defective tailpiece which you had been wrapping, instead of leaving dangling - rendered the device inoperative!)

Our club has recently adopted covering the PA-28 pitot blade with a tennis ball. I missed it on preflight
-Skip

My PA-28 has a snap on the top of the wing in line with the pitot tube. The pitot cover has a streamer that attaches to the snap so that it is visible from the cockpit.

I too find it weird that you had any airspeed indication at all, but you still dealt with the situation properly.

I always check for airspeed during the takeoff roll, and make the call "airspeed alive". Last year I got interrupted during the preflight of a DA40 and forgot the pitot cover. I aborted the takeoff roll at about 30 knots.

Question - How many of you do a pre-takeoff briefing for your CFI/CoPilot/Pax/yourself?

When I am ready to pull to the hold short line, I always say something along the line of:
This will be a normal takeoff on runway XX. Calls will be for airspeed alive, and then rotation at XX knots. If anything seems abnormal to ANYBODY during the takeoff roll, call abort abort abort and we'll stop on the remaining runway, exit, and fix the issue. Once we're airborne and below 1000 feet our escape route is to the farm field off to the left of the runway. Above 1000 feet we can consider a turn back to the airport. Intial level-off attitude is XXXX feet, and our heading will be XXX. Any questions?

It takes maybe ten seconds or less to say it out loud, but gets everybody (even if it's just me in the airplane) on the same page and focused on the important stuff that's happening in the next minute or so.

I too find it weird that you had any airspeed indication at all, but you still dealt with the situation properly.

I always check for airspeed during the takeoff roll, and make the call "airspeed alive". Last year I got interrupted during the preflight of a DA40 and forgot the pitot cover. I aborted the takeoff roll at about 30 knots.

Question - How many of you do a pre-takeoff briefing for your CFI/CoPilot/Pax/yourself?

When I am ready to pull to the hold short line, I always say something along the line of:
This will be a normal takeoff on runway XX. Calls will be for airspeed alive, and then rotation at XX knots. If anything seems abnormal to ANYBODY during the takeoff roll, call abort abort abort and we'll stop on the remaining runway, exit, and fix the issue. Once we're airborne and below 1000 feet our escape route is to the farm field off to the left of the runway. Above 1000 feet we can consider a turn back to the airport. Intial level-off attitude is XXXX feet, and our heading will be XXX. Any questions?

It takes maybe ten seconds or less to say it out loud, but gets everybody (even if it's just me in the airplane) on the same page and focused on the important stuff that's happening in the next minute or so.
I do an abbreviated, but like yours better.

I also was taught what Tim does. Verbalize the departure plan.

Sometimes when departing from an enormous runway into an area with giant flat farm fields all around I abbreviate it. Or departing from a well-known (to me) runway.

Departing from a confined runway, I want to say out loud where I'm going if the big fan up front quits before proceeding to commit acts of flagrant aviation. ;)

The difficult part is knowing the "escape route" at unfamiliar airports. So sometimes it can be hard to vocalize that one for the "first-stage" climb out.

Once above a certain altitude (you choose, I'm not starting the great 'impossible turn' debate in this thread...) the best option at many airports becomes "return to the departure runway".

You can look at the charts and/or Google Earth for new-to-you airports but sometimes only the locals really know where the only safe place to go is located around airport's that are surrounded by urban sprawl.

"About once a year they tow an airplane out of that field there ..." is typically how this local knowledge is conveyed. :)

It's still good to verbalize that you don't have a great plan, as a way to remind yourself you're taking an additional risk today...

Pilots don't always do what they "always" do. It can be interesting when they don't.

During a night FR a couple years ago, the pilot assured me that he had carefully pre-flighted the plane. When we reviewed his takeoff procedures (that he had adopted after flying with me) the first two calls were "power set" and "airspeed alive".

The airspeed needle never moved, and yet he continued the takeoff roll, then noticed zero airspeed just prior to rotation, then rotated anyway after using about a thousand feet of a 7,000' runway. He was then told the field was closed due to FOD on the runway, that all other airports in the area were IFR to state his intentions.

Pilots don't always do what they "always" do. It can be interesting when they don't.

During a night FR a couple years ago, the pilot assured me that he had carefully pre-flighted the plane. When we reviewed his takeoff procedures (that he had adopted after flying with me) the first two calls were "power set" and "airspeed alive".

The airspeed needle never moved, and yet he continued the takeoff roll, then noticed zero airspeed just prior to rotation, then rotated anyway after using about a thousand feet of a 7,000' runway. He was then told the field was closed due to FOD on the runway, that all other airports in the area were IFR to state his intentions.
That's Murphey.

This will be a normal takeoff on runway XX. Calls will be for airspeed alive, and then rotation at XX knots.
I just say the first two lines... it's something that I've found helpful. The other information is good too & I should add that in, thanks for that.

I've flown with people that say "airspeed alive" and people that have not... I don't really "get it" because (and remember I'm a student), you have to look at the airspeed indicator anyway to see when you're at Vr speed, so you'd notice if it were not alive, wouldn't you? I don't understand why you say it. (Just trying to learn here, not disagree).

You'll learn (hopefully sooner than later) that talking your way through everything you do while flying an airplane will make it easier and that your performance will improve as a result.

Dunno why, but ask anybody who does it. Maybe saying it out loud creates a neuro-pathway between your brain and your hands and feet.

I just say the first two lines... it's something that I've found helpful. The other information is good too & I should add that in, thanks for that.

I've flown with people that say "airspeed alive" and people that have not... I don't really "get it" because (and remember I'm a student), you have to look at the airspeed indicator anyway to see when you're at Vr speed, so you'd notice if it were not alive, wouldn't you? I don't understand why you say it. (Just trying to learn here, not disagree).

You'll learn (hopefully sooner than later) that talking your way through everything you do while flying an airplane will make it easier and that your performance will improve as a result.

Dunno why, but ask anybody who does it. Maybe saying it out loud creates a neuro-pathway between your brain and your hands and feet.

What Wayne said. When I was training for my CFI that "talk your way through EVERYTHING" got to be a habit, and my performance improved.

Once I got in the habit of verbalizing, then it became important to pay attention and use correct language for what I was verbalizing, so that I always described the same action "raise the nose" the same way. I'm still working on that. If I say "raise the nose" one time and "add back pressure" another time, I can confuse the student.

I've done both and I can honestly say that I find myself performing better when I verbalize things
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Good to know. Thanks for this, maybe I ought to start being more chatty while I fly. (Seriously though-- this is good information, thank you).

Monkey say, monkey do. I'm definitely with Wayne on this one. I don't like sitting right seat for totally silent pilots. It's a little eerie.

I may have related this story before, but early on in my CFI training I was taping the cockpit so I could listen to myself explain manuevers later. We're on the downwind and I'm talking about setting up for the base leg, how we're going to lower the flaps, and set up 90 mph on base and 80 mph on final... and my trainer pulls the power.

In the tape, you hear me say "and as we turn base, we'll put in the next notch of flaps and trim for 90 mph", then the sound of the engine RPM dropping to idle. About 30 seconds of silence followed by the sound of touchdown and "...and as we maintain centerline we look for our exit and leave everything else alone until we're clear."

As the workload went up, my ability to verbalize went away. And yet, especially in teaching situations or in airplanes with multiple crew, the times of high stress are when it's MOST important to communicate well.

All of which is saying that learning to verbalize your way through your flying tasks is something that pays unexpected dividends, not just in flying but in life too. I'm a much better teacher at work now, and much more effective when working with a team on a systems outage too.

I'm a much better teacher at work now, and much more effective when working with a team on a systems outRage too.

I'm definitely not a quiet pilot, (ask my instructor! :nonod:). But I have lessened the amount that I say with regard to what I'm doing or plan to do. I should begin to do that again, it's really helpful.

When I've soloed-- and I felt funny doing this-- but I have said "clear right" or "ok, now 2 notches of flaps..." and it is helpful.

Oh, and Tim? FTFY

I am a photographer and a pilot. I equate this to leaving the lens cap on while trying to take a photo. Both give you instant awareness.

There's a lower limit to the ASI. Vr is later. If you're rolling down the runway and the ASI didn't respond you may have room to close the throttle.

Monkey say, monkey do. I'm definitely with Wayne on this one. I don't like sitting right seat for totally silent pilots. It's a little eerie.

Maybe they are concentrating on the task at hand?

Flying a two person cockpit, i can see the need to verbalize Many routine tasks. It's necessary for situational awareness. But i don't call 'rotate' or 'airspeed alive' when flying my 152.

Last edited:
Maybe they are concentrating on the task at hand?

Flying a two person cockpit, i can see the need to verbalize Many routine tasks. It's necessary for situational awareness. But i don't call 'rotate' or 'airspeed alive' when flying my 152.

I've done it for so long on bigger airplanes that it seems natural in the 180 as well, starting with "lights, camera, action" after takeoff clearance is received.

I've done it for so long on bigger airplanes that it seems natural in the 180 as well, starting with "lights, camera, action" after takeoff clearance is received.

I like that one too! Learned it from co-owner a few years ago.

With the general rule in the AIM now being to leave the transponder on ALT all the time now, it mainly acts as a reminder for the strobes and landing light... since the transponder just stays on now and is on as soon as the avionics master is thrown. Master switch, cheap. Switches on radios, expensive.

Soon with the LED landing and taxi lights, that'll probably stay on all the time once turned on for taxi... it'll just be a reminder for the strobes mostly... but I'll still do it. Say it out loud every time I cross the Hold Short line...

Ze times day be a changin'. Kinda. And the Whelen LEDs are on backorder, supposedly for at least 30 days or more. Must be popular.

Makes sense. I need to come up with a memory aid and get in the habit of using it. Lights, Camera, Check Turn Coordinator, Set DG and confirm runway, Action

The 152 is so simple that it is probably spoiling me. For example, when I intercept the glideslope on an ILS, all I have to do is enrich the mixture, put on carb heat, reduce power to 1850rpm, and roll the trim up about 3/4 arc. Unlike other guys who are fooling with flaps, prop, manifold pressure.. landing gear.. fuel pump, switching tanks..

In other ways it keeps me sharp... such as hand flying everywhere, but I plan on checking out in the club mooneys soon and I realize I need to put a big effort into developing and practicing a structured checklist scheme

Last edited:
Good decision to ignore the ASI and go with pitch. Also, good decision not to go crazy and panic and do something silly, like trying to abort from above liftoff speed -- aborted takeoffs are among the most dangerous things you can do in flying.

What Ron said - you flew the plane, all is well, lesson learned. :D

rwthe9.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back