Pitot static transponder certification locations

Almost anybody who claims to be an avionics shop can typically do it.

I use Sandhills Avionics at Gilliam McConnell in Carthage, NC. Nice guy and he let me sit next to him throughout the test and see each step of the process.

Avoid Capital Avionics at Manassas. What a bunch of crooks. Not only did they hold my aircraft hostage and charge me an excessive amount, but some of the parts mysteriously just "disappeared" rather than being turned back to me as requested, giving me great doubts as to whether they were truly defective.

It would be nice if there were a list broken down by state

I remember a story of a person who called their local FSDO and asked for a list of local pilots broken down by sex. The secretary said she knew of a few boozers, but none yet broken down by sex.

:goofy:

Jim

I'm curious - what do the certifications tend to cost?

Yeah $400 sounds about right. Paid $600 for two planes a couple years ago.

Ah - thanks guys. I'm starting to get the itch to buy, and that was one of the missing data points on my fixed cost part of the spreadsheet. ;)

Ah - thanks guys. I'm starting to get the itch to buy, and that was one of the missing data points on my fixed cost part of the spreadsheet. ;)

that's for no problems. mine was $350, but by the time he adjusted the transponder and rebuilt the altimeter, it was just south of 1K. I know it's rare, but it happens.

I'm curious - what do the certifications tend to cost?
Around here, about $250 for the combined 91.411 altimeter/static check plus 91.413 transponder check.

And the pitot system isn't part of either check. If you want that checked, too (and it isn't required), you'd have to pay extra for that.

Around here, about $250 for the combined 91.411 altimeter/static check plus 91.413 transponder check.

And the pitot system isn't part of either check. If you want that checked, too (and it isn't required), you'd have to pay extra for that.
Ah, yes, perhaps I should have referred to it as the altimeter static transponder check.
Without looking back I believe it has been a few years since I paid $250 for it. I know that when I can arrange more than one plane to be done at a given time it is less expensive.
Cost differential is all the more reason to create an easy to access list of folks who provide this service. What would it take to create that on here?

Ask around your field- you'll get recommendations local to you. The "go-to" guy around here charged me around $200.00, and when the transponder was a little off frequency, carried it to the avionics shop on the field for adjustment, no extra charge.

Well it's an altimeter system (which pretty much does include the rest of the static system) and encoding equipment (often called the correspondence) test.

It roughly goes like this. The altimeter needs to be checked (this can be done on a bench or in the aircraft) by pulling a slight vacuum on it to simulate various altitudes up to the maximum. The altimeter error is checked against a reference altimeter. They also test certain altitudes on the way down (hysteresis) and to hold a setting level (after effects). The needle/mechanism binding up is also checked for (friction). The correct correction of the Kohlsman window settings is also checked.

In addition, the over all static system integrity is inspected/tested to make sure it is free of restrictions, leaks, or moisture.

A test set verifies the encoder also is reporting the right altitude at various test altitudes.

Well it's an altimeter system (which pretty much does include the rest of the static system) and encoding equipment (often called the correspondence) test.

It roughly goes like this. The altimeter needs to be checked (this can be done on a bench or in the aircraft) by pulling a slight vacuum on it to simulate various altitudes up to the maximum. The altimeter error is checked against a reference altimeter. They also test certain altitudes on the way down (hysteresis) and to hold a setting level (after effects). The needle/mechanism binding up is also checked for (friction). The correct correction of the Kohlsman window settings is also checked.

In addition, the over all static system integrity is inspected/tested to make sure it is free of restrictions, leaks, or moisture.

A test set verifies the encoder also is reporting the right altitude at various test altitudes.
I have watched it done numerous times on my planes; my first time an A&P removed the transponder and altimeter to be shipped off for the certification. I guess that one time they did not test the rest of the static system.

Ask around your field- you'll get recommendations local to you. The "go-to" guy around here charged me around $200.00, and when the transponder was a little off frequency, carried it to the avionics shop on the field for adjustment, no extra charge.
Sounds like I need your go-to guy.

Forane,

I don't know what part of TN you're in but I have mine done at Midwest Aviation at Paducah. $275. Very professional shop.

I formerly used Dyersburg Avionics at Caruthersville, MO. $295. Not so professional.

Those are C182 prices.

I have watched it done numerous times on my planes; my first time an A&P removed the transponder and altimeter to be shipped off for the certification. I guess that one time they did not test the rest of the static system.

Sounds like I need your go-to guy.

They had better. I've watched them bench test my altimeter, but it was always followed by reinstalling it in the plane and doing one final leakage test.

Back