Pit stops on XC Phoenix to St. Louis to Denver to Phoenix

dans2992

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dans2992
Anyone have tips on good places to stop? Our route overall route will be Phoenix to St. Louis(southern IL...) to Chicago to Denver to Phoenix. Visiting relatives in each of these places.

First trip over 800nm with wife and daughter. Trying to ensure that airports we stop at have good fuel prices and either on-site (wife-approved, clean) restaurant or easy access to crew car. On-field hotel might be cool for the Phoenix to St. Louis trip, since I am unsure if my pax can make it in one day or not.

Current plan, overnighting at destinations is: FFZ - DHT(pit stop) - K88(pit stop) - 1H2(destination 1) - PWK(destination 2) - KJYR(pit stop) - APA(destination 3) - FFZ.

What kind of plane? There are some fairly long legs and terrain to work with. We stop once between Denver area and Phoenix or Tucson.

When you say "pit stop" do you mean get out, pee, fuel, and go? Or looking for stuff to do?

I wouldn't use APA as a pit stop. Too busy. Fuel is high. Etc. I'd go into FTG and save money at the self serve pump.

Aircraft is a Comanche.

We are going to APA to visit family.

"Pit stop" = fuel, pee and maybe eat.

Winslow had a nice mex resturant that opened for lunch. The cheaper self service fuel was hidden behind the resturant.

Pueblo has great Sevice with Flower aviation FBO. Even offered to move the plane inside if it looked like a storm might come up. But we knew it was forecast clear and calm for the night. They had a deal with nearby (4miles?) quality inn for lodging that included taxi to and from.

None of these are at your designated stops but thought I might offer them up.

If you are looking at a stop in eastern KS Miami County (K81) not far SW of the KC area has good fuel prices (Currently $5.18 I believe) and from what I am told a good BBQ place on the field. A little farther than that and Allen County (K88) has very cheap fuel, currently $4.70/gallon. In the Wichita area Stearman Field (1K1) has a good restaurant but fuel is a little more pricy. Mid-Continent (Dwight D. Eisenhower or whatever it is being called this week) has Signature and Yingling for FBO's plenty of food choices within a five minute drive but Yingling now has a Subway in the FBO open 7-7. Ponca City (PNC) has good priced gas and a Mexican place on the field, the self serve pump is in a different area so make sure to ask where to go.

Self serve fuel at Tac Air (KAPA) is about the same cost as self serve at KFTG or KBJC. Good food right on the field also (The Perfect Landing). Tac Air will be on the north east side of the field.

Pueblo has great Sevice with Flower aviation FBO. Even offered to move the plane inside if it looked like a storm might come up. But we knew it was forecast clear and calm for the night. They had a deal with nearby (4miles?) quality inn for lodging that included taxi to and from.

I was stuck there a few months ago due to bad wx in the Denver area (ground stop @ DIA even).

PUB has great fuel prices but services for an overnight are so-so. Not sure when you were there last. They won't tie down aircraft. No shuttle service to any hotel in the area. Not quite what I was hoping for from a class D airport.

I was stuck there a few months ago due to bad wx in the Denver area (ground stop @ DIA even).

PUB has great fuel prices but services for an overnight are so-so. Not sure when you were there last. They won't tie down aircraft. No shuttle service to any hotel in the area. Not quite what I was hoping for from a class D airport.

It's changed then. I was last there about 4 years ago.

None of these are at your designated stops but thought I might offer them up.

If you are looking at a stop in eastern KS Miami County (K81) not far SW of the KC area has good fuel prices (Currently $5.18 I believe) and from what I am told a good BBQ place on the field. A little farther than that and Allen County (K88) has very cheap fuel, currently $4.70/gallon. In the Wichita area Stearman Field (1K1) has a good restaurant but fuel is a little more pricy. Mid-Continent (Dwight D. Eisenhower or whatever it is being called this week) has Signature and Yingling for FBO's plenty of food choices within a five minute drive but Yingling now has a Subway in the FBO open 7-7. Ponca City (PNC) has good priced gas and a Mexican place on the field, the self serve pump is in a different area so make sure to ask where to go.

Thanks, this is helpful!

I had stopped at 1H2 with my instructor on one of my XCs. There is no on-airport hotel, but I believe he said that there was a courtesy car there. I would give them a call to make sure though. We had also went to Springfield, IL that day and I might be thinking of that, but I'm pretty sure that it was Effingham that he mentioned the car.

When you get to DHT, ignore the guy with the flag waving you into the costly fuel. Baileys is at the north end. They are a crop dusting outfit. If you want to get food, you'll need to call in an order or borrow the truck if it's there. K88 is a great stop. They had a Dodge crew car, but I think it died, and now I don't know what they have. Good folks.

I heard that DHT has a nice, new restaurant. Is that near Baileys?

I had stopped at 1H2 with my instructor on one of my XCs. There is no on-airport hotel, but I believe he said that there was a courtesy car there. I would give them a call to make sure though. We had also went to Springfield, IL that day and I might be thinking of that, but I'm pretty sure that it was Effingham that he mentioned the car.

We'll be visiting 1H2 to see family, so we've got ground transport.

Looking at the approaches to 1H2 though, runway 1/19 seems to be unusable (for IFR) at night. Does anyone know the reason for this?

Thanks,
Dan

I heard that DHT has a nice, new restaurant. Is that near Baileys?

I don't know. When I stop, I get gas, take a whiz, and I'm off for home. I really dislike the area, and it's always windy so I don't stay. A few months ago I borrowed the truck and went into town for a Subway.

Back