Pireps on trip to Outer Banks- FFA, MQI & W95?

RV10flyer

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
RV10flyer
We are planning a 3 day trip to the OBX after Memorial Day. Any advice on accomodations, restaurants, things to see and do would be much appreciated.

We stay in the Nags Head area. Our airport of choice is MQI, excellent service and situated close to FFA and just a short hop away from Ocracoke (W95) and Howards Pub.

On the way into town from MQI there is a great little lunch stop, Darrells Restaurant. Also, a good breakfast place heading towards Kill Devil Hills is Grits and Grill and the best steak house is JK's Restaurant.

Follow the signs in Manteo to Roanoke Festival Park and the shops. Plenty of shops to stroll through and places to eat, things to see. There are plenty of historic places to visit, just follow the signage. Of course no trip to the outter banks would be complete with out making the stop at First Flight!

We always stay at the SurfSide, great service, clean accommodations and the people are always friendly.

I've been to Ocracoke (W95) several times and I've really enjoyed it. Super laid-back place.

I think you can call Howard's Pub for a pick-up from the airport. Or it's a pretty short walk towards town. I took folding bikes once and rented a golf cart another.

Last time we stayed at http://www.thurstonhouseinn.com/ and it was quite nice.

Thank you for the info. Planning to check out Jockey's Ridge at Nags Head and snorkle for some good seashells at W95/Portsmouth Island south of W95. We will post a trip report.

Does anyone make any special provisions for washing or protecting the airplane after a trip to the OB? Its it an issue to be concerned with?

I am going to wash/wax/apply LPS before and after the trip. If sand is blowing, I won't use my cabin cover. Taking plenty of bottled water, microfiber cloths and Plexus for the sandy/salty windshield.

Go hang gliding at kittyhawk. Flying wright bros style. There was an operation teaching hang glider type flights in a wright glider replica as well. That would be cool as heck to fly.

Does anyone make any special provisions for washing or protecting the airplane after a trip to the OB? Its it an issue to be concerned with?

Fly through some rain clouds on the way home :)

Fly through some rain clouds on the way home :)

+1. I don't think you'd have much of a problem after a few days. Just get some fresh water on it at some point and you'll be fine.

I have seen some planes that live down there and they looked a little rough--particularily anything steel.

Ocracoke (W95) is our favorite. Don't need a car, rent a golf cart, walk or bike. Lot's of places to stay, we generally use the Anchorage Inn.

http://theanchorageinn.com/

Aviation friendly, clean, not too expensive and a good location. The Back Porch and the Flying Mellon are my favorite resturants.

NO services at W95, but a nice pilot accessible building with a computer for weather.

Gary

Manteo has a nice field and FBO. Couple of crew cars available for a quick jaunt into town for a seafood lunch. There's an aquarium on the field too (small, but very clean/nice and offers a break from the piercing sun). Walk out the front door of the FBO, aquarium is a 100 yards in front of you on the left.

Cheap fuel at Currituck County, watch out for the ultralight/hangglider operation.

Manteo has a nice field and FBO. Couple of crew cars available for a quick jaunt into town for a seafood lunch. There's an aquarium on the field too (small, but very clean/nice and offers a break from the piercing sun). Walk out the front door of the FBO, aquarium is a 100 yards in front of you on the left.

Never knew about the aquarium. I'll have to check it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This area has always been on my bucket list. What is the best time of year to visit. Two adults and a black lab.

This area has always been on my bucket list. What is the best time of year to visit. Two adults and a black lab.

October. The water is still warm but the summer heat is gone. It's also on the backside of hurricane season.

Flew there 3 years ago from Ohio. We went the weekend before Memorial Day: everything was open, but the crowds hadn't hit yet. Our first stop was FFA, then back to MQI as our base. Winds at first flight are squirrely, we watched several planes make some sporty landings and ours weren't anything to brag about either. I think it's the trees lining the runway that make it interesting.
If you have a rental car, consider the drive to Ocracoke too. I thoroughly enjoyed the ferry ride over and I'm pretty sure it was free. The park ranger at the Cape Hatteras lighthouse explained that the water south of the point is warmer than that north of it because that's where the Gulf Stream heads offshore. We found her information to be accurate as we stopped at the public beach just north of Ocracoke and went swimming in the ocean. Back up at Dare County, the water was too cold to swim (for me).

Whenever people ask where I've been in my 172, I am sure to include the Outer Banks as that was yet another awesome experience I've enjoyed in my plane. :)

We are planning about the same Greg, except flying down to Ocracoke the last day.

We flew to FFA- First Flight early Sat AM(5/31/14), a day later than planned due to IFR wx Friday. A nice smooth 2.5 hr flight at 9,500'.

After walking around the Wright Brothers Memorial, we headed over to MQI- Dare Co to get $5.40 SS fuel, tie down and pick up the $60 Ford Fusion rental car.

We ordered a seafood lunch to go from http://austinseafoodco.com/ and took it across the road to Jockey's Ridge for a picnic on top of a wooded sand dune. Highly recommend both places. The dunes are free. My sweetie walking back to the car in the pic below. We flew our kites and had a biplane go around mine with a little clearance. Interestingly we saw him at the airport the next morning, but forgot to ask how close he thought he was to that kite.

We then went to the Elizabethan "Brown Recluse" Inn, 5-8 minutes from MQI. A nap for me as 3:00 AM was way too early to get up, but I really like those sunrise departures. The kids played in the pool.

We then had dinner at http://www.fishermanswharfobx.com/
Another good seafood restaurant 20-25 minutes from MQI, although not as good as Austin Seafood.

After dinner we saw http://thelostcolony.org/ play. This was enjoyable and educational for the whole family. It was a cool 56F, so not even one mosquito bite. We then returned to the Inn to find a 1.5" diameter brown recluse in the bathroom. We slept with the lights on all night. Next time we'll either camp or choose a hotel with a price higher than $150. The place is old and needs more renovations.

After a good nights sleep we headed down to W95- Ocracoke at 500' over the water at 125 kts(Va). 0.6 hrs. No birds encountered on this flight anyway.

We spent most of the time at the beach, 10 minute walk from the plane. We had lunch at http://www.howardspub.com/ordereze/default.aspx Yes, more seafood. Highly recommend! Then a walk around town and back to the beach for more swimming and shelling.

We departed Ocracoke at 6 PM Sun to ensure we made it home before dark as SCT TS were in the area with 4-8K ceilings. We barely missed two birds on takeoff. We had to cross some 4000' peaks near Roanoke, VA and decided to go on up to 8,500' instead of squeezing between the cumulogranite and the BKN layer. ATC was great both ways. We made it back home in 2.5 hrs. We will be going back for some kite board training at Nags Head and more relaxation at Ocracoke. Another wonderful trip in a plane we built in our two-car garage.

Back