Pireps for Ohio State Airport (KOSU)?

colojo

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Colojo
I'm booked commercial for a business trip to Columbus tomorrow but might take my Mooney instead due to the awesome weather forecast nationwide for the duration of my trip. If I fly myself I plan to land at KOSU. Has anyone been there that can give me a report? It looks like a nice airport and it's close to my hotel and work.

Also, I'll be attending the Ohio State - Penn State game Saturday night. Anyone else going?

Cheers - Joe

Not going, but I'll be watching them get upset on TV :yes:

Ha! I don't have a dog in this fight. The manufacturer I represent is based in Columbus and employs a lot of OSU alumni, so I have access to awesome tickets. I'm entertaining a customer of mine from Denver whose son is a freshman at OSU this year, so I'll be there with him, his son and his wife.

This will be the first "real" college football game I've ever attended. I went to an Ivy League school and football there was mostly an afterthought.

LOL, shouldn't it be THE Ohio State Airport?

This will be the first "real" college football game I've ever attended. I went to an Ivy League school and football there was mostly an afterthought.

It should be a good time. If it's not sold out, it's close to it so there should be lots of energy. I'm a little biased being a Penn State alum :D

Nothing special about KOSU. It is the busiest GA airport in the state, but doesn't hold a candle to some airports down south. Stay clear (or get transit through) the nearby Columbus Charlie.

You'll really enjoy the game experience. Take some time to stroll around outside the stadium, it gets wild. Do either come in early or be prepared to walk some distance, parking and traffic are nuts game day. I live 3 miles away and get game parking.

And I am going to enjoy watching the Bucks beat the snot out of the Nits.

Nothing special about KOSU. It is the busiest GA airport in the state, but doesn't hold a candle to some airports down south. Stay clear (or get transit through) the nearby Columbus Charlie.

You'll really enjoy the game experience. Take some time to stroll around outside the stadium, it gets wild. Do either come in early or be prepared to walk some distance, parking and traffic are nuts game day. I live 3 miles away and get game parking.

This. KOSU is great (more than I can say for the university/football team. Cant stand 'em). The controllers do a good job and it's a nice airport. And now that runway 14/32 is permanently closed everyone seems to be in a better mood around the airport, especially the ground controllers haha.

This. KOSU is great (more than I can say for the university/football team. Cant stand 'em). The controllers do a good job and it's a nice airport. And now that runway 14/32 is permanently closed everyone seems to be in a better mood around the airport, especially the ground controllers haha.

Agree. Nothing fancy, but nice folks and rental cars available. If it's a game weekend, reserve ahead. Good controllers. See if the photo of the B707 that mistakenly landed there is still on the wall.

It is my airport of choice when in Columbus.

Oh, and if you feel like breakfast the airport restaurant is actually really good. The folks who run it have a place in my neighborhood that is always jammed. They're pilots, so they decided to try the space. The actual restaurant is rather small and claustrophobic, but it is sell well worth the stop. We actually go there instead of the one down the street because the one in the hood usually has a long wait, which there is none at the airport restaurant.

Ha! I don't have a dog in this fight. The manufacturer I represent is based in Columbus and employs a lot of OSU alumni, so I have access to awesome tickets. I'm entertaining a customer of mine from Denver whose son is a freshman at OSU this year, so I'll be there with him, his son and his wife.

As others have said, KOSU is nothing unique. Nice, friendly Class D with decent enough facilities and not too busy. I live downtown Columbus and picked KTZR just a bit further south because it is a 14 min drive instead of 16 min to my house but I could have easily based at KOSU.

Should be interesting for you to attend - people here are crazy about OSU football. I'm not from here and also went to an Ivy so I find the whole thing a little bit peculiar but it is good fun.

As others have said, KOSU is nothing unique. Nice, friendly Class D with decent enough facilities and not too busy. I live downtown Columbus and picked KTZR just a bit further south because it is a 14 min drive instead of 16 min to my house but I could have easily based at KOSU.

Should be interesting for you to attend - people here are crazy about OSU football. I'm not from here and also went to an Ivy so I find the whole thing a little bit peculiar but it is good fun.

With all the construction going on OSU is going to be really nice in a few years. I recall hearing there's a few year wait for hangar but rumor has there are going to be some new ones coming with this $10mil grant the airport just got. Bolton has JP's but it's pretty dead compared to OSU these days. Never been more than two planes on the main ramp when I've been. Too bad since it's a neat airport.

I use KOSU almost every Christmas for a few days. Costs are similar to Port Columbus but staff is usually excellent. Hangar space was about $35.00/night. I got tired of the conga line into KCMH. Should be a nonstop trip if you can do about 5 hours. Lots of gas stops along the way if you want to take a break. Check airnav for best prices as they vary quite a bit. KOSU is a pickup point for Net Jets so you may be rubbing elbows with some jet pilots. When I go around Christmas the winds are great eastbound but I come home on the deck. Have a good time.

Back