Pireps are good!

flyersfan31

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Freiburgfan31
I was planning to fly to New Haven today to fly my mother-in-law back here for the weekend. Forecast last night looked good, strong gusty winds but nothing alarming. Checked surface winds today, forecast was a little lower and a little more westerly, ok. Winds aloft strong (35-55kts at 3000-9000). No prob. Airmet Tango for moderate turbulence below 8k.

Well, the Airmet Tango was sort of background noise for me (I know, bad, naughty pilot!), so I didn't pursue the reasons for it. I was more focused on the surface winds being better than I expected, and with clear skies, CAVU, I kind of viewed the wx briefing as a formality. "It looks good, and will be better than I thought, no problem..."

Fortunately, I got to thinking about the airmet, and the strong gusty winds, and decided to take a closer look at turbulence. Hmm, what do PIREPS show? Two urgent pireps re: moderate and mod/severe turb at 3k-5k in a 414 and a KingAir. Right along my route. Whooooops -- time to sharpen the pencil a bit. Look at the 500MB chart - looks like a jet core or something right over us. Review those pireps again. Hmm. I'm flying a 172, with a good pax but not an aviator. I have 1.6hrs in type. It's an optional flight -- Amtrak is a good fallback. Time to call 1-800-USA-RAIL. As I'm calling the FBO to cancel the rental another PIREP from a 172 over the Sound pops up reporting mod turb at 5k. It's a sign.

I hate being cautious, but I know it's good for me. Great lesson though, that even if things look beautiful, sunny, and CAVU, I need to confirm everything!!!!!!

Good on ya. I have a lot more hours in type but I can take a lesson from you. I'm not 100% proud of my decision to launch on my last flight where I got the carb ice.

Good decision Andrew. Was this all though a self briefing?

Yes, DUATS and AWC.

A live briefer probably would have gotten my attention with pireps sooner. Or not.

A good learning experience, for sure.

I hate being cautious, but I know it's good for me.

Well, it beats the alternative.

I am sweating the WX myself, as I am supposed to fly wife and kid and Rat Dog to the Hill Country tonight; I am not especially fond of night IFR, but with a TAF calling for 2,200' ceiling, it's manageable...

...but what's this?

Now we are down to a forecast 1,100' at SAT, and the destination airport typically gives up a few hundred feet for elevation... and the *best* IAP available (a GPS/RNAV) gives me 700' minimums... it does not get better, I think I am driving, as much as I hate to do it.

Maybe it'll get better... but the moisture flow says, "no."

I knew there was a reason I was relaxed flying with you.

Me, or Flyers Fan? :dunno:

I think I scared you senseless... whaddya say? :yes:

Oh, and by the way, I was on the verge of making the "go" call, as ceilings rose a fair bit (1,300 at destination), but scrubbed when I got pireps of icing. Oh well.

Back