Pirep: Timex Men's Ironman Oversize Watch

ChrisK

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Toph
I know there are other threads on watches etc (even on this watch). Here's another one.

I just bought one of these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Timex-Men-s-Ironman-30-Lap-Sports-Watch-Black-Resin-Strap/17206387

0075304834260_500X500.jpg

Things I like about it:
  • Countdown timer that is easily programmed
  • Beeps and Flashes when time is done
  • Easily switch between 3 time zones

What I don't like:
* It doesn't vibrate when timer is done (I don't think this is a big deal since I rotate the watch to face me)

Overall, I'm thrilled with this watch as a backup timer for non-precision approaches, and being able to easily switch to UTC is quite nice.

I use one of these as an exercise watch. I have used the Ironman series for quite a number of years. They work well. I like a Velcro band on them. I have a Movado I wear as a daily watch that is in for band repair, so I am having to use this as a daily watch for a while. A lot of people don't wear watches anymore, but I just don't feel dressed without one.

Only reason I picked this up was for IFR flying. A velcro band is a good idea - I should look into that =)

I know there are other threads on watches etc (even on this watch). Here's another one.

I just bought one of these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Timex-Men-s-Ironman-30-Lap-Sports-Watch-Black-Resin-Strap/17206387

0075304834260_500X500.jpg

Things I like about it:
  • Countdown timer that is easily programmed
  • Beeps and Flashes when time is done
  • Easily switch between 3 time zones
What I don't like:
* It doesn't vibrate when timer is done (I don't think this is a big deal since I rotate the watch to face me)

Overall, I'm thrilled with this watch as a backup timer for non-precision approaches, and being able to easily switch to UTC is quite nice.

Pretty substantial investment. Better take good care of it! :D

I'm a huge fan of inexpensive digital watches. That one looks great for IFR.

Pretty substantial investment. Better take good care of it! :D

I'm a huge fan of inexpensive digital watches. That one looks great for IFR.

Yeah I actually found the "expensive" ones just didn't do what I wanted them to do, which is crazy!

As a serious road cyclist, I would have a hard time wearing anything labeled "Triathlon." What's next, a pointy helmet and sleeveless jersey? :wink2:

As a serious road cyclist, I would have a hard time wearing anything labeled "Triathlon." What's next, a pointy helmet and sleeveless jersey? :wink2:

It is actually a series of watches, labeled "Ironman". They have been around for quite a while and are quite functional and well designed. I have actually worn mine in a sprint triathlon once or twice with no issues.:yes:

You guys look silly enough in the regular biking jerseys and well padded shorts and elf shoes. I wouldn't toss too many stones from that glass house. ;)

Clearly this watch has limited usefulness...where's the E6B?? :D

You guys look silly enough in the regular biking jerseys and well padded shorts and elf shoes. I wouldn't toss too many stones from that glass house. ;)
:lol:

I would be a liar if I said I didn't wear compression shorts when running, though. :wink2:

I've got the old school Ironman and have been wearing it almost 20 years. 2 battery changes...I'd say I got my $30 worth. :) Certainly lives up to the 'takes a lickin'...keeps on tickin'...".

I'm a watch guy - have all kinds of cool watches in all price ranges. I love my Brietling but can't say I've ever actually worn it flying. Kinda funny...

Back