PIREP: the other Grand Rapids (NW Ohio!)

aranpura

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ash
We found this little village on the Maumee River this afternoon, and it is a fantastic little place! I am thrilled that it's close to our house, and I wanted to let you all know about it.

This is a semi-PIREP, since we didn't fly to get there. It's only a 15 minute drive down the road from Toledo Express Airport (KTOL), but I'm based a bit further away at Metcalf Field (KTDZ). I don't have any information on general aviation at KTOL -- it's the field the airlines use. I have seen on AirNav that at least one of the FBOs there has a courtesy car, and fuel prices seem reasonable.

Grand Rapids is a little village on the river, and it would make a great aviation visit. The downtown consists of a few blocks of beautifully preserved old buildings, mostly occupied by antique shops, candy shops, and restaurants. It's pretty tourist-centered -- no grocery or hardware stores. We had a delicious, super-cheap meal at Fernando's (Mexican) and a beautiful walk along the old canal towpath. There is a place that rents canoes and kayaks, and there seems to be a lot of fishing activity. Across the river are two state parks, one of which has a beautiful historic mill and a general store. Canal boat rides are available there.

All in all, an absolutely charming place that I'm surprised to find on our doorstep. If you're near northwest Ohio, I'd think this would be a fun stop.

Sounds like downtown Perrysburg, which is a few minutes from either TOL or TDZ. Can't recall any boat rentals, though. I go there all the time, as a friend of mine owns a jewelry store right in the downtown.

TOL is an easy airport to fly into. Although it is a class charlie, it is the least busy class charlie I've ever seen. The deltas where I am are busier, though they don't take such big jets. There are a multiple FBOs, it is not a difficult airport at all.

We found this little village on the Maumee River this afternoon, and it is a fantastic little place! I am thrilled that it's close to our house, and I wanted to let you all know about it.

This is a semi-PIREP, since we didn't fly to get there. It's only a 15 minute drive down the road from Toledo Express Airport (KTOL), but I'm based a bit further away at Metcalf Field (KTDZ). I don't have any information on general aviation at KTOL -- it's the field the airlines use. I have seen on AirNav that at least one of the FBOs there has a courtesy car, and fuel prices seem reasonable.

Grand Rapids is a little village on the river, and it would make a great aviation visit. The downtown consists of a few blocks of beautifully preserved old buildings, mostly occupied by antique shops, candy shops, and restaurants. It's pretty tourist-centered -- no grocery or hardware stores. We had a delicious, super-cheap meal at Fernando's (Mexican) and a beautiful walk along the old canal towpath. There is a place that rents canoes and kayaks, and there seems to be a lot of fishing activity. Across the river are two state parks, one of which has a beautiful historic mill and a general store. Canal boat rides are available there.

All in all, an absolutely charming place that I'm surprised to find on our doorstep. If you're near northwest Ohio, I'd think this would be a fun stop.

The other Grand Rapids?

That's the other other Grand Rapids.

1. Grand Rapids, MI - Kent County
2. Grand Rapids, MN - Itasca County
3. Grand Rapids, ND - LaMoure County
4. Grand Rapids, OH - Wood County
5. Grand Rapids, WI - Wood County

Back