PIREP - Swift GC-1b

Flyfishingpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
KC1
Can anybody who owns or flies a Globe Swift give me some feedback?

Any nasty habits?

Can anybody who owns or flies a Globe Swift give me some feedback?

Any nasty habits?

I sure wish I could give you a PIREP - I think the Swift is a very cool airplane. There is one Swifter on the board here at least... Hopefully he'll chime in.

Until then, you should start by reading the following links, which talk about flying the Swift:

http://www.napanet.net/~arbeau/swift/rothchk.htm
http://www.napanet.net/~arbeau/swift/fly.htm

There's lots of other good info there too. I can never remember the whole URL but going to http://www.globetemcoswift.com/ will get you there. There's a list of Swifts for sale as well, if you're looking to buy one.

If you do buy one, I want a ride! :yes: :goofy:

There is a good pirep on Airbum.com.

Everything I've ever read indicates that the 85 hp versions are way underpowered, and the higher powered ones may not have enough rudder authority to do a full power takeoff with a crosswind from the left.

Also, word is that 3 point landings are NOT recommended due to an unpredictable stall and the canopy blanking the vertical surfaces.

Beautiful airplanes though, and the fact that there are still quite a few flying (and in demand) tells me that the difficulties with the type are outweighed by its good qualities.

Also, word is that 3 point landings are NOT recommended due to an unpredictable stall and the canopy blanking the vertical surfaces.

It's actually due to the way the gear wells face the relative wind - before the plane stalls, there is a sudden, significant increase in drag. Also, at least one Swifter has taken an electronic level/protractor type of rig and measured the stall AoA and the 3-point angle. The stall happened about 3 degrees lower than the 3-point attitude.

Thing is, the Swift is the most-modified airplane out there. For example, they came from the factory with either 85hp (GC-1A) or 125hp (GC-1B) and while the most common powerplant on them these days is the 145hp Continental O-300D, there are plenty of them out there at 150, 160, 180, 200, and 210hp as well. The really high-powered ones are the ones that have rudder authority issues with a left crosswind, but there is also some sort of rudder mod on some Swifts. You really can't find a "stock" Swift any more, and many have a dozen or more STC's or 337's. They came with yokes, many now have sticks. A bubble canopy is another common mod. C152 seats are a popular addition. There are different-sized wheels, retractable tailwheels, different wingtips, different landing lights, P-51 gear doors, several different aux fuel tank setups, you name it.

Beautiful airplanes though, and the fact that there are still quite a few flying (and in demand) tells me that the difficulties with the type are outweighed by its good qualities.

:yes: The owners seem to be very dedicated as well.

Back