PIREP: Sennheiser S1 Digital

PalmettoPappy

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PalmettoPappy
Anybody have any experience with the Sennheiser S1 Digital. A thread search turns up nearly nothing. Thanks

I'm pulling the trigger on a Light speed PFX, just can't decide which passive QFR headset I want to send in on their trade up program. Lightspeed seems to be the best for me. I have 2 Zulu 1's that work great.

Welcome to POA. :yes:

Hey boys! Another newbie to buy another round! :rofl: ;)

:cheers:

Last edited:
Thanks!

I've got a Zulu 1 that I like, but I've got a big melon and the Sennheiser looks bigger. Plus I like that it's made in Germany, not China. I just haven't heard first hand from anyone other than reviews on Sporty's and for all I know those guys may work for the company.

I've had it for almost 3 years now. I like the sound quality and I like the ANR. Here's what I don't like:

Never could get it to hook up Bluetooth with my phone so I could listen to music and take calls.

They're on the heavy side.

After about 2 years the ANR went in and out. I sent it to Lufthansa Technic who repair them, but it still cost me $500.

I've had it for almost 3 years now. I like the sound quality and I like the ANR. Here's what I don't like:

Never could get it to hook up Bluetooth with my phone so I could listen to music and take calls.

After about 2 years the ANR went in and out. I sent it to Lufthansa Technic who repair them, but it still cost me $500.

Ouch! :eek:

The Lightspeed PFX has a 5 year warranty. Lightspeed customer service is second to none. I sent in my Zulu 1 after I left it on the dash of the 10 and the battery box melted in the 100f heat. Way out of warranty, but they still replaced it for free! It was clearly my fault, but they fixed it for free, and paid for the return shipping. I love doing business with vendors like that.

I'm a huge fan of Lightspeed. Every OSH I get an invitation to their party. I never go, but it's nice to be invited! :lol:

Last edited:
Man, they charged to fix it?

I have had headsets from Telex, David Clark and QT (the Halo) repaired for free by their respective manufacturers, and none of them were in warranty. In addition, Telex and DC both gave extras - new ear seals, etc. I have heard legion takes about LightSpeed doing everything except favors of the flesh to take care of customers.

In that context, paying big cashish to repair a Sennheiser seems a point of difference that Sennheiser ought not to want.

I own a LS Zulu.2 and a 30-3G. Both were purchased used. Both have been to LS HQ for repair which the did for free.

So I too am amongst the kool-aid drinkers for LS's customer service.

Oh, and Spike... Tina now has some PFX's in stock and will work out a fair with her regular walk-in customers.

I have a Sennheiser Digital I purchased in 2012 at Sun N Fun. It was the last day and the rep doubled the rebate to $200 for me which helped seal the deal. I think they are very good and very comfortable. I did have to send them in for repair during which they replaced the cables. No charge for the repair which took less than two weeks I think. I have tried a friends Bose and feel they are comparable for noise reduction and sound quality but the Bose are less bulky. I do feel the Sennheiser is a more comfortable fit for me which is another reason I went with them.

I accidentally left the cockpit and forgot to take off my Clarity Aloft headset. They charged me $150 to fix it.

Unfortunately, not all the headset vendors do free repairs...

Forget that nonsense!

Add that to my list of products to never buy :yes:

Man, they charged to fix it?

I have had headsets from Telex, David Clark and QT (the Halo) repaired for free by their respective manufacturers, and none of them were in warranty. In addition, Telex and DC both gave extras - new ear seals, etc. I have heard legion takes about LightSpeed doing everything except favors of the flesh to take care of customers.

In that context, paying big cashish to repair a Sennheiser seems a point of difference that Sennheiser ought not to want.

Likewise with Lightspeed & DC.

Thus why my headset is a Lightspeed, and my pax/backup is a DC, and likely always will be.

I took the Sennheiser S1 up today for a 2 hr cross country.

My thoughts: I really liked the headset. The audio via bluetooth was significantly better than my Zulu 1, and I like being able to control tracks and pause play with the headset controller. In mute mode, I could still here the music playing soto voice as air traffic control rambled in Charlotte Bravo. With the Zulus, you can't hear music at all. I think they are more quiet, too.

Having said all that, I'm sending them back as I don't think it's an evolutionary leap over my Zulus. I guess my passengers will have to suffer with old school DCs.

I should've spent the money for LogTen Pro on a nice set of Bose headphones. Heh.

Back