PIREP Requested: Heart Rate monitors

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I'm looking for suggestions on make/model of heart rate monitors.

I want to re-dedicate myself to an increased amount of more effective exercise. Goal is to have some improved A1C and BP numbers when I report to PCP in September and beyond. Plus I want the guy I shave with in the morning just looking better on the outside.

I went to the store the other day, but the array of makes/models/features was just as baffling as a 2hr student pilot trying to think of what airplane s/he wishes to purchase. Plus the pricing was all over the map.

Any suggestions/reviews/recommendations are apprecaited.

Personally I don't like the finger monitors. If you have a watch and fingers you can find your heart rate... takes 6 seconds and you don't need a "special" watch.

You left out how much you want to spend. You can get monitors from $30 to $330... what's your budget?

We have several different ones, my fav so far is my Garmin ForeRunner. If you don't want the GPS stuff in the mix, Polar would be the way to go.

And which one you chose depends on what you want. Our Polars are mainly used while on bicycles. So, they have pickups for the bike (cadence, speed, etc) as well for the body. They offer ones that are for walkers/joggers that don't have that.

While they have their own tracking software, I plug all my stuff into Shasta Softwares CycleStats and WeightWare.

http://www.shastasoftware.com/products.htm

Simple to use, integrates with Polar data, and not $$ at all.

I got a $50 Timex watch with the chest strap detector. Measures just fine.

The advice I got when I asked serious office runners and triathletes was that after they used a HRM to learn their numbers (and what that felt like exertion-wise), they didn't need to see the numbers so much anymore. They ended up going by feel...

I got a $50 Timex watch with the chest strap detector. Measures just fine.

I got a similar Nike unit from Woot.

The advice I got when I asked serious office runners and triathletes was that after they used a HRM to learn their numbers (and what that felt like exertion-wise), they didn't need to see the numbers so much anymore. They ended up going by feel...

That has been my experience.

They ended up going by feel...
Eventually I hope to gain the same. But at the moment, I haven't any idea what's not enough, in the zone, or too much. Thus the request.

@Zeige: Uncertain, but I don't need a cadillac when a lesser model will do the job. I guess $40-85? I don't remember the actual range.

If you've got a smartphone, you might try the Instant Heart Rate app. Probably not practical for how you want to use it, but if you've already got the phone, the price is right (free).

@Zeige: Uncertain, but I don't need a cadillac when a lesser model will do the job. I guess $40-85? I don't remember the actual range.
In that case I recommend an Omron like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A5CEUO

I had one. May not have been that exact model (I no longer have it) but it was similar. It worked. It was certainly a good "discovery flight" type unit - it helped me learn whether I really wanted to deal with straps and such. It might be all you need to establish that feel you are looking for and provide an occasional checkpoint reference later on.

My two caveats: 1) you probably want to spend more if you are going to a crowded gym. If you are jogging or cycling (free range) or working out at home that's not a problem. 2) Be aware that if you get into the whole borg exercise thing you'll end up spending another $170+ later.

I wound up with a "nice" unit that cost six times as much (outside your range), but part of that is just me/my personality.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back