PIREP request: Columbia and Myrtle Beach, SC

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Hey folks,

Heading down to SC this weekend for a wedding (in Myrtle Beach) and a visit with some of my girlfriend's friends (near Columbia, on the northeast side).

Any opinions on KCUB vs. KCAE and KMYR vs. KCRE? Interestingly enough, I note that the class C's have the cheaper fuel price in both cases, though they're all high enough that I'll probably avoid buying fuel there.

Thanks!

Hey folks,

Heading down to SC this weekend for a wedding (in Myrtle Beach) and a visit with some of my girlfriend's friends (near Columbia, on the northeast side).

Any opinions on KCUB vs. KCAE and KMYR vs. KCRE? Interestingly enough, I note that the class C's have the cheaper fuel price in both cases, though they're all high enough that I'll probably avoid buying fuel there.

Thanks!

I grew up less than a mile from KCUB and watched the planes from my backyard all the time. My folks still live there so I make fairly regular trips, first from Atlanta and now from the DC area. Anyway, I have only flown into KCUB but have always been treated well. Usually I get marshalled to a spot right in front of the terminal (which is a reasonably new building). They'll tow the plane back to the front door when I return, although usually I just walk the hundred yards to the tiedown where they've left it. Fuel's not cheap, nor is it a rip-off, either, and I've never been charged any other fees. It's also quite close to I-77 which provides easy access to NE Columbia area via I-20.

Be aware -- the South Carolina football stadium is pretty close to the approach end of 13 and it's college football stadium so look out for those TFRs. There's also a R-area over Fort Jackson to the North East, but it's not a problem as long as you know it's there.

The same FBO operates at KCUB and KCAE so I suspect service is similar but have never flown into KCAE other than commercially. It's just not nearly as convenient for me.

Columbia Approach is usually pretty quiet and there's little traffic going into KCAE so you can expect a quick arrival into either airport.

Edit -- You did say this weekend, and Carolina is playing at Kentucky so no issue with the stadium (or traffic).

Last edited:
Either MYR or CRE are easy to deal with, best choice is really based on whether you need to be on north (CRE) or south (MYR) side of Myrtle Beach. Cheapest fuel in the area is generally KCPC, Columbus County, Whiteville, NC, which is convenient if coming from the North or West. KCPC has self serve if outside attended hours. Can't help much with Columbia, have only been into CAE.

Consider Conway (HYW) for the Myrtle Beach area. Fuel not as cheap as Whiteville, but cheaper than MYR or CRE, and may be closer to the actual event, unless it is on the beach.

I live here and I rule the airport. ~Jim :D

Back