PIREP: QT Halo's

Love my Halo's. Just bought one for Teresa, my wife.

IRT the OP concerns:
- be aware that the proper mic orientation is to have the LARGE single hole towards your mouth, and
- urge caution with trimming the tubes, the length is tuned to best transmission to the speakers and contains a transducer of some description (easily seen in the tubes)

.....and IRT amateurish construction:
Function over form, and feel free to pay more for form if that's what floats your boat.
I've put them away for now. Will try them again once I install a better radio. But, I'm totally unimpressed. My homemade ANR headset is much, much better so far.

I dug these things out again. Experimented with different ear buds, and looked into the orientation of the mic. Turns out, the mic was rotated 90 degrees. And, I found some earbuds that stay in my ears pretty well now.

Bottom line, I'm now a QT Halo convert! ;-)

Question - I've had my Halos for >6 months, and am about ready to switch back to my Zulu's. The noise attenuation with the Halos is noticeably worse than the Zulu's, which is the main reason I'm planning to switch.

Before I bail out on 'em, I would like to get some opinions on the earplugs. I've been using the foam ones. I use earplugs frequently in the shop or out shooting, so I don't think my earplug insertion technique is the problem. Are the foam plugs the way to go, or are the silicone ones better?

Any pireps on this subject?

Question - I've had my Halos for >6 months, and am about ready to switch back to my Zulu's. The noise attenuation with the Halos is noticeably worse than the Zulu's, which is the main reason I'm planning to switch.

Before I bail out on 'em, I would like to get some opinions on the earplugs. I've been using the foam ones. I use earplugs frequently in the shop or out shooting, so I don't think my earplug insertion technique is the problem. Are the foam plugs the way to go, or are the silicone ones better?

I own the Zulu and was thinking of buying the Halo for the wife. She doesn’t fly much, but when she does, does not like the weight of the Zulu. But, not sure she would trade the noise reduction of ANR for weight.

I like the silicone Christmas tree looking ones, gave up on the foam. Pull your ear back and jam that sucker in there, you'll barely be able to make out the stall horn in a Cessna.

I hate foam earplugs. We have them at work, boxes of them everywhere. They make my ears sweat, and if I roll them to a point, they work their way out of my ears. Found out the nurse keeps a few silicone sets. Much nicer!

Been wearing my Halos since ~2010. I'm now on my 2nd set of silicone tips. Used to think I had altitude headaches after long flights, but somehow the Halos cured that, too. (They weren't altitude headaches, they were headset clamping pressure headaches . . . ) I'm a lifetime fan!

The only downside I've found is making phone calls (IFR release, friends at destination, wife before departure, etc.). Can't just dial and shove the cell phone under an ear cup, I have to hold it to my head. Seven years, and I've had to suffer that agony at least a half-dozen times.

I like the silicone Christmas tree looking ones, gave up on the foam. Pull your ear back and jam that sucker in there, you'll barely be able to make out the stall horn in a Cessna.

Got a link?

I've flown with the Halos for a while (2 or 3 years) and really like them. My ears have really small canals and I never can get foam ear plugs to work (motorcycle, shooting etc). I use silicone molded ear plugs for other sports/hobbies and had another pair molded to use with my Halos. I like them a lot. Reduces noise significantly, consistent fit, easy to put on and take off.

Here is a link to what I am talking about - when they make them they can insert the connector that the sound tubes plug into.
https://www.esafetysupplies.com/pro...i2i08TxK_NGuxyeVemZ5KnHd6eQFaCpRoCJ2sQAvD_BwE

Dean

I'm flying with these right now https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D2P2ESU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I have been using them mostly in the cherokee 180, hoping to try tehm in the Debonair this week. First flight with them, i swore I was going to return to amazon. second, once i got the audio panel adjusted to a good volume, I think they're keepers. all the years of shooting, loud music and airplanes is starting to take its toll

Back