PIREP: OSH in the off season.

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
So as the title said, I flew into OSH. My instructor had pointed me to Myers aviation for some interior plastic parts I was looking for... great place located on field, they're basically an aviation salvage place. They seem to have a lot of used parts super cheap.

On my way in it was a pretty ho-hum affair. I called the tower, they had me expect a right downwind for 27... easiest way in from where I was. I think there were 2 others in the pattern. Tower did a good enough job separating us that it was all a non-issue.

Basler flight service was great. We went to a nearby place to eat, Myers, and the EAA museum and they drove us to all of those places free of charge. Very friendly people, great destination. I would give them a call ahead of time to make sure they're available but they offered right away when I called up and asked about nearby places to eat. Fuel was a little high, I got 10.2 gallons and paid about $57 but considering they pretty much provided a free taxi service it seems like a steal.

The EAA museum was cool, there were maybe only 2 other people in there at the same time so we could take our time looking at everything without feeling rushed. Lots of discount airventure 2014 merchandise in the gift shop too :lol:

Definitely a great place to visit in the off season though. Would definitely recommend it.

I bought my plane up near Madison in February and brought it home in March. Too darn cold up there. Now I know why there's a bar on every corner.

A good friend flew me in after the show to pick up the Free Bird. Didn't recognize the place. And of course, it wasn't until we were rolling out from landing that I realized I hadn't the first inkling of where we were supposed to go to get the aircraft. Figured it out, and she was spanky.

Attachments

• Freebird.jpg
    Freebird.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 26
Flew there a few times during my training. Sort of scared the crap out of me the first time I flew in at night. Forgot the colored dots on the runways and they were a bit of a surprise when you are right on them and your lights hit them.

Back