PIREP: Onn 8” Pro Tablet

Llewtrah381

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Llewtrah
Was looking for a backup to my Samsung Tab A 8” tab that I use for Avare and was planning to just get a second one at Costco or WM. Both local stores were out but the 8” Onn Pro tab caught my eye at WM. Memory, etc is almost identical to my Samsung but the Onn listed for $99 - and was $89 at checkout!

So far it looks great. Virtually no bloatware pre-loaded (just Sam’s, WM, and Vudu apps), so there’s a lot more available memory than on my Samsung. Performance seems really good: it’s running Android 10, vs. 9 on my old tab plus any new Tab A’s.

They also have a more basic model with very similar performance and memory for $69.

This is a viable option for having e-charts available either for renters or anyone, really: my Samsung is my primary source for charts and plates, mounted to my yoke with an X-mount.

A couple years ago my nexus 7 I use in my sailplane died in the middle of a week long soaring competition. I visited the local Walmart and the only thing they had was an Onn tablet it was probably a 7" version as I recall was about $69. It was terrible for in the cockpit, it seemed slower than may older nexus 7 and the screen was unreadable in the cockpit do the bright sunlight. The next day I drove the the Walmart in the next town over and traded it for a 7" Samsung Tab A 7", this tablet was great, as good or better sunlight readability than the Nexus 7, and probably faster. I am still using the Tab A 7".

Brian

clip_image001.jpg

Attachments

• Samsung LS6.jpg
    Samsung LS6.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 15
It was terrible for in the cockpit, it seemed slower than may older nexus 7 and the screen was unreadable in the cockpit do the bright sunlight. The next day I drove the the Walmart in the next town over and traded it for a 7" Samsung Tab A 7", this tablet was great, as good or better sunlight readability than the Nexus 7, and probably faster. I am still using the Tab A 7".

Brian

clip_image001.jpg

A fair observation. It is indeed less bright than the Samsung but still very usable even in bright conditions. It seems to be at least as fast - possibly because it’s running on a newer OS and/or it has much less bloatware. As an inexpensive backup, I think it will suffice. Mine’s the $99 one instead of the $69 one, which may make a difference.

Here’s a shot of the two of them on our deck under direct sun through shade fabric (the glare on both in direct sunlight made a pix useless):

4A7A064A-28F2-48D3-B58D-978BD34B5C50.jpeg

Back