PIREP: One-on-One Weather Training with ScottD (AvWxWorkshops.com)

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Because of the nutsy weather happening between DFW and Houston, and the need to get me and a passenger to a scheduled appointment in the north Houston area tomorrow, I availed myself of a one-on-one training and briefing session with ScottD of www.AvWxWorkshops.com

A few single words about the experience...
Wow!
Cool!
Worth...the...Money!​

Scott stepped me through his weather roadmap system via a GoToMeeting session, pulling up the relevant imagery, explaining what we were seeing and why that is significant.

As we went through the different steps, he did a great job tying back to what was seen previously, connecting the knowledge dots. Especially helpful was him explaining the different products that help predict TS and potential IFR conditions (low CIGs).

End result was, that while the "civilian" sites like Weather.com is predicting doom and gloom TS for DFW, Scott's system of the "real" weather products shows that DFW is not going to be that bad for predicted TS's but OKC is going to get clobbered again. He also showed me how the current troughs that bracket Texas, the blocking high to the East, and the high level of moisture already in the atmosphere means MVFR CIGs at best. It would be a good IFR flying day with very stable air above the cloud deck, as a VFR pilot, we're driving. Maybe rescheduling the appointment.

If anyone has ever wondered about doing this one-on-one with Scott, stop wondering and do it. Even if you don't have a trip planned, find 90-120 minutes out of your day and schedule a session. The knowledge and the addition of the skills to your weather decision toolbox is very worth the investment of cash and time.

Thank you again Scott for the well done session!!!

(PS.) If because of this, you decide to subscribe to his site, please mention my name in the referrer slot. This way I get some credit toward future training and workshop usage.

I will definitely look into this, as DWH-RBD is going to be a regular route for me. Does he do everything via webinar? Any issues with streaming his content?

Side note, not to derail your thread - I noticed your picture and had to mention I am an A&M grad out of IWS. What year did you finish up?

I will definitely look into this, as DWH-RBD is going to be a regular route for me. Does he do everything via webinar? Any issues with streaming his content?

Connection was GoToMeeting to see his screen. I didn't see any issues with lag. Voice was via telephone. Only interruption was when someone rang the canine doorbell and the entire pack told him someone was approaching the house.

Side note, not to derail your thread - I noticed your picture and had to mention I am an A&M grad out of IWS. What year did you finish up?

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '88! WHOOOP!
Member of Squadron 13 & Parson's Mounted Cavalry (back when we could load the Spirit of '02 with a full shell. Was fun at the games when we'd set off every car alarm in the parking lot after a touchdown from the concussion wave)

shameless_plug.jpg

No just kidding. Thanks for the pirep. These have always intrigued me!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thank you again Scott for the well done session!!!

A few months back Scott put on a short seminar for a half dozen or so POA'ers...

I said it back then and I will say it again.... He is #1 and has forgot more about weather then the rest of us combined will learn in our lifetime...

Scott is the MAN !!:yes::yes:

I've done a few of these sessions with Scott as well. Some of the sessions I have done have just been training and some have involved specific flights. He's an awesome resource and worth every penny. I can't imagine planning an XC without starting off on his website.

Thanks for monitoring during the day, Scott. I was too busy with work and answering phones to do that.

And thanks again for the one on one lesson. You really helped to connect lots of knowledge dots.

PS. How far out can we start using the Roadmap tools? 5-days? Next week is Gaston's, so I was wanting to start watching early on and applying what you taught me.

Last edited:
Back