Pirep on XC in a Yankee?

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
I am trading some A&P time for dry time in a 1971 American AA-1 Yankee. I have put about 1.5 hour solo in the a/c, doing slow flight, stalls, landings, and am comfortable with it. I need to do a long solo XC for my CPL and since that would run about 5 hours, I figured maybe I would fly it up to TN to visit my property there and check on things. That is 5 hours each way, fly up one day, spend the night, and fly back the next. The a/c is VFR only. I have never done an XC of more than two hours each way. I would prefer an IFR a/c but I would like to burn off the Yankee time I bartered. The other option for the trip is a 1981 Cutlass 172RG that I get for about the same rate dry as my barter on the Grumman.

Last edited:
You will have your hands full but it isn't terrible. Watch the down drafts in the mountains, took mine through Western VA mountains once on a blustery fall day for a pretty rough ride. You will have to switch fuel tanks pretty often to keep the plane trimmed. If you lean forward, you will go down, if you lean back you will go up. After a while my legs get cramped but I could sit sideways with my feet in the copilot side for a little more stretch. Don't count on pulling the power back much to stretch the fuel range. There is a fine line between fuel economy mode and falling off the "step". I planned fuel stops every 2.5 hours.

Edit: if it's smooth as glass it will fly hands off as long as you sit still. You can correct roll with the rudder. Mine didn't have wheel pants and trued out to about 109 ktas on 6.5 gph.

Choose your weather carefully. I have done a few XCs of 10ish hours over two days in a Pitts and a Citabria. The lack of autopilot makes those kinds of trips a little tiring, but it's definitely doable. In fact, I would compare it to taking long motorcycle trips -- pretty fun despite the lack of creature comforts.

Having to land in 25G35 direct crosswinds at the end of the second day, eh, not so much fun.

You will have your hands full but it isn't terrible. Watch the down drafts in the mountains, took mine through Western VA mountains once on a blustery fall day for a pretty rough ride. You will have to switch fuel tanks pretty often to keep the plane trimmed. If you lean forward, you will go down, if you lean back you will go up. After a while my legs get cramped but I could sit sideways with my feet in the copilot side for a little more stretch. Don't count on pulling the power back much to stretch the fuel range. There is a fine line between fuel economy mode and falling off the "step". I planned fuel stops every 2.5 hours.

Edit: if it's smooth as glass it will fly hands off as long as you sit still. You can correct roll with the rudder. Mine didn't have wheel pants and trued out to about 109 ktas on 6.5 gph.

As mentioned, I need to make stops anyway so two fuel stops each way for sure.

No wheel pants on this one, either. Was that at 6500/7500/8500 and WOT?

As mentioned, I need to make stops anyway so two fuel stops each way for sure.

No wheel pants on this one, either. Was that at 6500/7500/8500 and WOT?
I don't remember, I would have to look at the POH which I don't think I have anymore. The power settings in it were pretty darn accurate.

I don't remember, I would have to look at the POH which I don't think I have anymore. The power settings in it were pretty darn accurate.

If you had an American Yankee, the POH is here. Says I might get as much as 117 kt one-up w/o wheel pants. Not sure what prop they used for that, probably the cruise prop; the one I am flying has the intermediate prop so I am probably looking at something closer to your figure.

I’d have no problem flying one across the country, must plan your fuel out, but they are great little planes.

If you had an American Yankee, the POH is here. Says I might get as much as 117 kt one-up w/o wheel pants. Not sure what prop they used for that, probably the cruise prop; the one I am flying has the intermediate prop so I am probably looking at something closer to your figure.

For 75% at 4500ft book speed is a little over 110ktas. I was getting 109 but mine was far from perfect.

When I flew an AA1A, I planned on 108 kt cruise, or about 125 mph. 6 gph fuel flow, and be over an airport in no more than 3 hours for sure. 2+45 is smarter. I flew mine far afield, at least 2-3 legs away from home base. You can't beat it for fun flying solo.

The AA-1 is much more comfortable than a C-150, and is faster and has better visibility. It's a pretty good x-c airplane for a two-seater. It's noisy, though, so a good ANR headset is a plus.
When I flew an AA1A, I planned on 108 kt cruise, or about 125 mph.
The AA-1A ("Trainer") has the recontoured leading edge, same as on the four-seat Grummans. The "slick-wing" AA-1 Yankees are a few knots faster than the AA-1As.

Back