PIREP on the new ORIS Pro Pilot Altimeter Watch

spdracer888

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
spdracer888
My PIREP on the new ORIS Pro Pilot Altimeter watch for my fellow pilot and watch enthusiasts.

ORIS only makes mechanical watches only. Except for its Williams F1 time piece, I've never considered an ORIS because its watches are a bit boring. However, a few weeks ago at an ORIS hosted event, the Pro Pilot Altimeter caught my eyes immediately. ORIS managed to combine its automatic movement with a mechanical altimeter. I can't think of another mechanical watch that has this function.

At initial glance, the finish is better than the traditional ORIS. While it's missing the finer details such as brushed stainless steel with polished rim (like my IWC Big Pilot - see side by side comparison pic) or refined crown, the large 47mm dial is easy to ready and handsome.

IMG_5246_zps43be5312.jpg

To operate the Altimeter, unscrew the knob located at 4 o'clock (see below), pull out a notch to set it based on hPa or actual known altitude at the field (latter is the preferred method) then push the knob back. I observed a difference of 100 ft between actual and indicate with the correct altimeter setting. This is expected since they say the accuracy is about +/- 30 meters.

IMG_5247_zps3532840c.jpg

I opt'ed for the fabric strap which is has a leather (I think) backing. The deployment clasp is styled after airline seat belt: simply lift and release and is easy to operate though it pinched my skin on a few occasions. Once it's on your wrist, the watch is surprisingly comfortable though it will be a bit tight under a dress shirt sleeve. Here's a side by side comparison between the ORIS and my IWC Big Pilot:

IMG_5251_zpsfa80137e.jpg

The watch comes in a genuine Pelican case as does all of ORIS's pro series watches. Though the watch costs a fraction than Panerai/IWC/JL/PP/AP, it's a great value considering its complication and modified movement (Oris 733 based on ETA).

IMG_5243_zps1bbfcf8a.jpg

If you need an accurate backup altimeter please use Fore Flight or a Casio with digital altimeter. If you are looking for a nice pilot watch this is a good choice.

Last edited:
Nice looking watch and I love that strap but 47 mm is too big for my scrawny wrist

Wait, you mean my 15 year old G-Shock with bits of epoxy stuck to the band is no longer the apex of looking sheik?
Well, and here I thought I was a trend setter .:goofy:

:rolleyes2:

Nice looking watch and I love that strap but 47 mm is too big for my scrawny wrist

A lot of people (myself included) at first glance would think so, too. But I don't think I can ever go back to anything smaller than a 42 mm. :)

Wait, you mean my 15 year old G-Shock with bits of epoxy stuck to the band is no longer the apex of looking sheik?
Well, and here I thought I was a trend setter .:goofy:

:rolleyes2:

Hey, I still have this and it's vintage chic :goofy:

img-thing

All that and it doesn't set itself... with multiple worldwide RF sources for time...

A lot of people (myself included) at first glance would think so, too. But I don't think I can ever go back to anything smaller than a 42 mm. :)

Hey, I still have this and it's vintage chic :goofy:

img-thing

I owned this watch.... In Jr. High...

I owned this watch.... In Jr. High...

I had the push button version but we all thought we needed it to figure out weight and balance when we took on fuel and ammo in the FARP...thanks for the Pirep it might complement my collection...

Back