PIREP on the Eagle Optix Heads Up Display

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I got a chance to right seat with Gary Reeves of www.PilotSafety.org and his new Epic Eagle HUD from Epic Optix, https://epicoptix.com/epic-eagle/

This is a portable device that takes what is displayed on your ipad and makes it visible on a see through pane of glass. The connectivity is via Apple's AirPlay system, so just about any app that you can show on your iPad will be displayed on the HUD.

Flight was mid morning on a Texas partly cloudy day.

This HUD works really well for a portable unit. Especially since the focus point includes "infinity", meaning that when looking through the glass at the farthest point on the horizon, the image still is easy to look at and interpret.

We tried both ForeFlight and The Stratus Horizon App. Both worked well, but out favorite was the Horizon app since it filled the screen, as it defaults to a dark background, makingtne image show up better in sunlight.

Then we experimented with putting the Rosen sun visor behind the display and it made the image show up muuuch better. At full brightness on the device, the sunlight coming through the front windscreen was just enough to really wash out what we were looking at. Putting the darker surface behind the display made it easier to see the image.

I imagine night IFR would be where this unit would really "shine".

And we talked about getting some tinted material, some piano hinge, and crafting something that could be fixed to the case to do the role of what the sun visor did today, but could be folded down out of the way when on final approach.

Gary shared that he has talked to Eagle Optix who have said that they are in the process of developing their own HUD software that would one day connect to more devices including (but not limited to) the Aspen PFDs and the Avidyne IFD's.

I appreciate Gary inviting me along to see this new unit in action.

152CFC2E-B9C1-44BA-AFFD-6E3096A57C26.jpeg 0ADA6BBA-E04A-4AC8-8FAD-8BDBCE8CE490.jpeg A31F7D82-9B42-48C9-BA66-10DE8805F5A5.jpegF9E6596F-4504-4B8E-9449-D0A8B1769A2D.png

Back