PIREP on the 2020 Toyota Corolla

saracelica

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
saracelica
So when I started my driving job they gave me the Chevy Cruze with 180000 miles. Good for city driving scary at highway speeds.... Discussed in a different post.

Last week boss says I can drive the new 2020 Corolla. Started with seven miles on it.
Nice improvement. Clean and smelled nice. Drove good. Smaller then the Cruze. Problem? The horn. It more squeaks. I tried it several times and didn't feel any better after "honking"

Anyone else?

The horn is the only problem you have with the car?

Yeah it's really solid car. The radio screen is a little obnoxious but I could get use to it. The horn is a no sale.

If that’s the only problem you’re having with a non-owned company vehicle, I’d say you’re doing alright, that is unless you have a tendency of getting into road rage on a regular basis - in that case, I agree, you definitely need a working horn! :)

My wife drives a 2016 Corolla, and we really like it. Consumer Reports says the restyled 2020 model has less rear-seat legroom than the 2014-2019 version, and has a lower roofline, so it would be more difficult for me to get in and out of it. Too bad.

I always try and find the Corollas when I rent a car, but that's just because the adaptive cruise control makes dealing with the traffic in places where I have to rent a car better.

Haven’t seen any reason to upgrade my 2001 corolla.
The new ones don’t get any better gas mileage and they are not rated to tow my 1500lb sailplane trailer.
Actually haven’t found any vehicle that will do better.
Mostly it is used for commuting to work. But want to be able to ditch work and go get the sailplane to fly when the weather is good.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Ugh the adaptive cruise control blows! Especially if the car in front stops suddenly. I usually skip past that mode.

The horn in my 2016 Corolla is pretty puny, but I love everything else about the car. At the first dealer service I complained about the horn, but was told they're all like that and they do the job. The service manager suggested I invest in an air horn so the car would sound like a Mack truck.

In fairness, the times I've had to use it to alert some numbskull he/she was drifting into my lane it worked just fine.

I always try and find the Corollas when I rent a car, but that's just because the adaptive cruise control makes dealing with the traffic in places where I have to rent a car better.

That adaptive cruise is also relatively “open” to engineering hacks compared to most. There’s a company making a connection between the Toyota system and a map that truly will drive the vehicle places. Better than Tesla’s autopilot stuff. All in your smartphone.

But it gets very little press. And of course I can’t remember their name right now.

Found out about them because a former very bright engineer co-worker from three companies ago went to work for them and a current co-worker who also worked at the other place asked if I had seen what he was up to on LinkedIn.

So when I started my driving job they gave me the Chevy Cruze with 180000 miles. Good for city driving scary at highway speeds.... Discussed in a different post.

Last week boss says I can drive the new 2020 Corolla. Started with seven miles on it.
Nice improvement. Clean and smelled nice. Drove good. Smaller then the Cruze. Problem? The horn. It more squeaks. I tried it several times and didn't feel any better after "honking"

Anyone else?

How often do you use the horn? I can't remember the last time I did, I've had this car for five years, and I can't remember what it sounds like, I use it so seldom.

With a manual transmission those things move. With an automatic they're utterly gutless. That said, they're very solid cars and will likely keep running until the Zombie Apocalypse and then some. After the end the landscape will be dotted with cockroaches and Toyota Corollas.

The horn is the only problem you have with the car?

He would probably complain that Margo Robbie's teeth were too white.. but I would give him credit for noticing her teeth! :)

How often do you use the horn? I can't remember the last time I did, I've had this car for five years, and I can't remember what it sounds like, I use it so seldom.

I agree with that completely. I could probably count the number of times I've honked someone on one hand since I've owned my present car.

you obviously don’t live in the NYC metro area.

you obviously don’t live in the NYC metro area.
Here we have tourists, pulling out onto the 55MPH highway with way too short a gap. During tourist season mine gets used a bunch.

Last edited:
Back