PIREP on Honduras?

tdager

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
LittleIronPilot
OK..I will not be flying there (well I will be commercially) and I may fly around the country, but in a friends plane.

Instead I want to know about the country itself. Let us just say that the State Department advisory on the country is making me NOT want to go, but I have free airfare and hotel waiting for me and the wife if I chose to go.

Ok you are not flying on TACA airlines so that is good. TACA is their national airlines and it stands for They Ain't Comin' Amigo!

I have been to Roatan and loved it. I did note that our resort had armed guards that were on duty 24/7 and we were warned to watch out for bandits when off campus. The country is fairly poor and a little wild west like but really a wonderful wilderness.

Not a bad place at all, Just watch yourself and be aware of your surroundings and people around you it's like any other seedy neighborhood in the usa. If you don't know how use street smarts and get along with a lessor class then expect some trouble.

Tips,

Keep your mouth shut.
Dont dress flashy in public like you may do here.
Don't brag that your an American and how good you think this country is.
Respect them and their customs.
Don't flash (Money, Ipods, Watches, or other Expensive Items)
Drink only from seald containers.
Carry local currency and just enough to do what you want.
If in a cab or buggie make sure your the only one lots of pick pockets.
Dont buy bottled water off the street.
If somone on the street offers you a tour or to show you cool places it's usually a set up to be robbed or worse.
Don't stare at people.
Dont get involved with trouble "sorry I did not see anything" even if you witnessed a murder.
Ignor the beggers no matter how young, sad they may look or hungry they may tell you just keep walking they will go away. (hard one for the females but it's a good way to get robbed, stabbed or kid napped)
Bring your own bug spray and shampoo.
Wallet in front pocket or don't carry one. Just have money and photo copy of passport.
Never let anyone know whare your staying.
Check your key at the hotel lobby before you leave the hotel.

list would be a mile long but them are the basics.

Flew into Soto Cano Air Base several times but they wouldn't let us off the base. The interior of the country is stark in comparison with the coast. My ex-son-in-law went sucba diving there, had a good time.
Ron

Thanks everyone. Since this trip may not even involve hitting the beach, but staying in the city at the upscale hotel, we are considering whether or not we will even go.

Again, thanks!

I travel international quite a lot. Just tell people that you are from Canada if you get asked. This has worked out pretty well when you are out in the parts of the world where they don't look highly on the USA.

My parents ran an orphanage in Tegucigalpa (the capital) for a few years. Frankly, it's a bit scary. I'd never heard machine gun fire for real until I went there. Every gas station and store has a guy with a really big gun standing out front. They had a guy with a machete stand outside their appartment all night. It was a big, ugly dangerous city and I wouldn't bother going back.

On the other hand, a week on the island of Roatan was fantastic and felt very safe (other than break-ins at our cottage - hide your valuables). It was amazing there and very cheap. Fantastic scuba diving.

Chris

I travel international quite a lot. Just tell people that you are from Canada if you get asked. This has worked out pretty well when you are out in the parts of the world where they don't look highly on the USA.
I actually carry a small Canadian flag pin in my suitcase for just such an event.

I actually carry a small Canadian flag pin in my suitcase for just such an event.

Its really amazing when you get out to many different countries to see how many just genuinely hate America and Americans. Once they get you to spend your money with them thats where their love for our people ends.

At my old job we had a big American flag on the tail. We used to call it the target. They used to cover it with a plastic sticker when we would go to certain countries. Our boss liked it there.

In Beirut they advised me to wear an Air France ball cap, so the locals would think I flew for them.

Its really amazing when you get out to many different countries to see how many just genuinely hate America and Americans. Once they get you to spend your money with them thats where their love for our people ends.

At my old job we had a big American flag on the tail. We used to call it the target. They used to cover it with a plastic sticker when we would go to certain countries. Our boss liked it there.
It has been my experience that they hate our politicians and foreign policies not necessarily our country. It has been that way for a long time, not just a recent phenomenon. Although in recent years it has reached a fever pitch. I have been living or traveling overseas for 30 years and seen this for a long time.

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately this would only be a three day trip to hang with a friend that has a job in country doing aerial survey work. We might try to get to the beach, but he will be in San Pedro Sula so the best we might get to is the beach at Omoa. No Roatan for us. :(

The wife and I considering just heading to St. Augustine or St. Simon's Island instead. Too much hassle, and risk, for three days in-country.

I have been to Honduras within the last year, traveling to remote areas doing a humanitarian mission. Some required a helo insertion. We were in a large group, and had armed Honduran Army guards, but even then never saw anything that remotely looked like a threat. Big establishments do have armed guards as a sign of stability and respectability, not risk. These could be stores, factories, etc. We also traveled with a contingent of Honduran nationals, so they knew where to go. (tried to scam a ride in a Tucano as well as a night helo mission, but that's another story)

On the other hand, on the commercial flight back, there was a US couple in front of me who had been traveling alone in the back country and decided to go swimming on their own. They were robbed at gunpoint and lost everything. To me, this was more stupidity rather than a reflection of risk.

Overall, like anywhere, a little common sense would go a long way, but in speaking with our people who spent a lot of time in the cities, they never felt threatened or at risk. They always traveled in at least a pair, and always had a cell phone or other comm capability. Again, this is all common sense.

It is a wonderful and beautiful country, lush and green in the mountains. The coffee was outstanding, and I understand the local cigars are good as well. Well worth visiting, and I look forward to returning.

Several years ago when I was into scuba diving I made three seperate trips to Honduras each time staying on different islands. Roatan, Utila and Guanaja. The diving was wonderful on all three islands.

I remember on one trip flying from Tegucigalpa to one of the islands in some Russian or Czech twin engine plane smelling gas fumes the entire flight. :eek:

Thanks Jim for the other view.

Either way, instead of going for three days (that was our time frame) we have decided to get SCUBA certified locally on the dates we have off and then plan a nice SCUBA vacation in June.

Back