PIREP on Great East Coast Destination

drgwentzel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kobra
Flyers,

My wife and I flew from N14 in NJ into Currituck County Airport (KONX) in NC on April 22nd. We were taking a long weekend to visit the Outer Banks, NC for our anniversary. We rented a house right on the beach in Carova, NC very cheap due to off-season rates.

KONX was well maintained and the staff was really friendly and very helpful. We rented a 4x4 from Enterprise (this is required if you want to drive on the beach) and they delivered it to the airport the day before we arrived. As we drove toward the bridge into the Outer Banks we stopped at a BQ place called Currituck BQ Company on 4467 Caratoke Highway. Wow!! Great pulled pork and some of the best sides I’ve had in a long time. This is must if you visit.

Right over the bridge is Kitty Hawk. Turn left on highway 12 and travel north until it ends right on the beach access. From there you can drive right on the beach and continue north and you will see some of the best rustic and unspoiled beach and ocean front land left in this world. If you’re there for a daytrip you can park anywhere you want and pull out your beach chairs, cooler, iPod and a copy of Flying Magazine and enjoy almost absolute seclusion and relaxation. If you go off season you will have the place all to yourself in cool, comfortable, bug-free, dehumidified air. Just you and the sound of the ocean and seagulls. Oh yeah…and once in a while a seal and wild horses too.

The house we rented over the internet in Carova turned out to be under construction, filled with trash, tools and constructions supplies and was completely unlivable. I figured I was scammed and my money was somewhere in Nigeria by now.

I called the property manager and the owner and it turns out they forgot we were coming that weekend. They told me not to worry and they would make it right.

Shortly, the property manager met me at the house and told me to follow him to a new place. When he stopped and got out of his car I was in shock..

He said, “Ok, this is your new place.”

I looked up at this beach front property that was the size of four houses put together.

I asked, “What’s this?!?”

It’s your new house. It’s a 30 room, beach front mansion. It has a private pool, a hot tub, a 12 seat home theater room, pool table, ping-pong table, foosball table, work-out room, private bar with 4 LCD HD televisions, fireplace with 52” LCD over it, 2 BQ grills, a HD LCD TV’s in every bedroom, all with private full bathrooms, washer and dryer, 3 refrigerators, 2 dishwashers and list went on and on. They even had no problem with the fact that we had our dog with us too. All were welcome.

Needless to say we got our money’s worth on this trip. I highly recommend this area for a vacation, a weekend or even a daytrip if you are within 300 miles of the Outer Banks.

All the best,

Gene Wentzel – ’71 Cessna Cardinal RG

Gene,

Great PIREP! Sounds like the beach house upgrade was perfect for the anniversary.

We love the outer banks. I fly into MQI and we stay in Nags Head. Mary is already looking for places to stay for our next trip, I think she has mentioned Duck. I'll have to see how far the drive is from MQI or ONX.

Back