Pirep on Cody, WY and Yellowstone?

PilotAlan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
PilotAlan
Hi all,
Me and the missus flying into Cody on the Independence Day, getting a car, driving into Yellowstone, and staying at the Lake Lodge.

Neither if us have been there. Any pireps on the airport at Cody, and insights on Yellowstone? We're kinda flying blind, it's a spur-of-the-moment thing.

Thanks!

Hi all,
Me and the missus flying into Cody on the Independence Day, getting a car, driving into Yellowstone, and staying at the Lake Lodge.

Neither if us have been there. Any pireps on the airport at Cody, and insights on Yellowstone? We're kinda flying blind, it's a spur-of-the-moment thing.

Thanks!

Have fun..... 4th of July is one of the busiest days for Jellystone... so have patience...:yes::D...

Fly over yellow stone first and get a perspective of how big the geysers area is. 2,000' agl min. ;)

Hi all,

Thanks!

Cody has an excellent western themed museum with an incredible gun collection. Well worth it! As far as Yellowstone, whew... that would take pages!

Gary

It's a lot bigger than you might think. You're going to spend a lot of time in the car.

Cody is over an hour out of Yellowstone even when you don't have overloaded RVs feeding bears and trying to pet the bison.

Choice Aviation. Excellent FBO IMO.

Hi all,

Neither if us have been there. Any pireps on the airport at Cody, and insights on Yellowstone? We're kinda flying blind, it's a spur-of-the-moment thing. !

Whatever you do, DO NOT just fly to Cody and drive to Yellowstone. At the bare minimum, fly over the Grand Prismatic Spring. Spectacular!

Last edited:
Wellll... Trip's off. My wife is the emergency manager for her hospital, and the local water utility just issued a boil water order. So she's getting trucks of water brought in and figuring out how to operate with limited potable and handwashing water.

All's fair.... In the last 10 years as the city emergency manager, I have had to cancel many things on her, now it's my turn.

Wellll... Trip's off. My wife is the emergency manager for her hospital, and the local water utility just issued a boil water order. So she's getting trucks of water brought in and figuring out how to operate with limited potable and handwashing water.

All's fair.... In the last 10 years as the city emergency manager, I have had to cancel many things on her, now it's my turn.

I saw the pre-Press Conference hints from the news tonight up where I think you're talking about. Bummer.

We had the Navion convention at Cody and the FBO there treated us nice. No problems. We did both a Yellowstone flyover tour (gaggle of a dozen Navions) over the multicolored pond or whatever that thing was called and Old Faithful. The next day we did a bus tour.

Liked the Buffalo Bill museum as well as the rodeo as well. The rodeo folks were happy to have our guys in the four ship formation pass over just before the event as well.

Back