Pirep on Ag Pilot Schools

overtorqued

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ed
Looking for some current, first hand info from anyone who has attended an ag aviation school in the last 2-3 years. Anything would help.

Thanks for your time,
Ed

There's one outside of Monroe LA, north of there. "Flying Tigers Aviation" in Rayville LA.

flyingtigersaviation.com

Not first hand, but I have a friend who went to Ag Flight within your timeframe. I also know a few guys who have went to Eagle Vistas in FL fairly recently and have heard good things about Flying Tigers. What do you specifically want to know?

I have been in contact with Eagle Vista and Flying Tiger. Before I drop some serious coin I was wanting to hear from someone who may have attended one lately.

Mainly wondering how the experience was and also how did having the training help them get a seat.

Before we talk about the pros and cons of going to an ag school, let's tak about why you want to do it. Do you have an agricultural background? Flying the airplane is maybe 15% of my job. The rest is knowing my chemicals and crops, and what my swath is doing. Nothing wrong with going to a school if you need ratings and tailwheel time, but I would advise going and finding an operator and volunteering to work as ground crew loading and mixing before I tried to get a seat.

It's easier to teach a farmer to fly than it is to teach a pilot to farm. Not saying it's impossible to get into, but it's not getting any easier.

I have been in contact with Eagle Vista and Flying Tiger. Before I drop some serious coin I was wanting to hear from someone who may have attended one lately.

I've been told that those are the two schools a person should consider. Last I checked, Eagle Vistas was the cheapest option, but I haven't looked into it for a few years.

Mainly wondering how the experience was and also how did having the training help them get a seat.

Attending school will help you be insurable, which should make you more marketable. I do not know if the schools offer any sort of placement program though.

Everyone I have talked to about agricultural work has essentially said you'll need to know someone willing to take a chance on you in order to get your first seat. The guys I know who are doing it all had a job before they even went to school, and their total time and tailwheel time didn't matter as much because the operator knew them and knew they were going to put them in a seat after they got back from school.

Thanks for the words Herve. I do have an agriculture background and a fair amount of
tailwheel time. I have been told by two different operators I needed to get the ag pilot course done for insurance purposes. Just looking for a little info before I decide on a school.

Thanks for the words Herve. I do have an agriculture background and a fair amount of
tailwheel time. I have been told by two different operators I needed to get the ag pilot course done for insurance purposes. Just looking for a little info before I decide on a school.

Gotcha. It all depends. The operator I fly for now, his insurance didn't care one way or the next. One size doesn't fit all. It's convention season; have you made it to any of those? That's a great place to meet potential bosses and network.

As for my opinion of ag schools, they're great for people who need ratings and tailwheel time. Whoever you fly for will show you how he wants you to do it. It will take you all of a half hour to figure out a Satloc.

Thanks mondtster, seems it may be a toss up and not that much difference between the two.

For what it's worth, I went to Flying Tigers. It was ok.

If you don't mind me asking Herve, how long ago did you attend Flying Tigers? The reason I ask is that they are under new owner these days.

If you don't mind me asking Herve, how long ago did you attend Flying Tigers? The reason I ask is that they are under new owner these days.

I went under the old owner. However, not only is the new owner a really good guy, but Robert McCurdy has been there since the beginning. He's a very solid guy. Randy and Beverly Berry with Eagle Vistas are great folks. Billy Howell at AG Fright is, well...I'll hold my tongue.

Back