PIREP- NOLA 2 Feb 2008

Cap'n Jack

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cap'n Jack
I was in New Orleans for a trade show last week.

NOLA has a ways to recover. There wan't a lot of hurricane damage visible between the airport and the convention center.

The Riverwalk mall was fairly empty- went there for lunch durng setup & found short to no lines for lunch (12:30 PM). I never saw it so empty before.

The restaurants seem to be still recovering-
Oliviers- food was Ok, not outstanding
Bayona- The fish was almost cooked. Long wait for waitress. Long wait between courses. Messed up dessert order.
Mulates- old tradeshow standby across from the convention center- up to the standards I remember. They finally cleaned the dust off their duct work!
Crescent City Brewhouse- fairly good.
Other people from the show seem to think service and food were better in the past.
There are some new restaurants on Fulton street, we didn't try them.
We didn't get to Commander's Palace or some of the other suggestions given me- we couldn't get a vendor to pay for them!

Crime seems to be higher than I heard about in the past.
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19053
Also, some tourist caught a stray bullet off Bourbon street Thursday night.

Bourbon street- less crowded than I remember. Business & weather kept us from seeing the parades this year (too bad- 1st trade show that offered a chance to see them). We saw them staging in the convention center 2 halls down from us. The Famous Door is still rocking- good music both times we went there. We didn't see the transvestites (transgender?) by the gentlemen's clubs (it may have been too cold- got down to 32°F). Bourbon street didn't smell of beer, etc late at night.

Back