PIREP needed: C29 vs MSN

jwyatt

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
jwyatt
I'm plotting a day-trip flight to have lunch with friends in Madison, WI (2 hrs in the C150), who live a few miles from MSN. The Class C makes me a bit nervous, given that the only tower work I've done was at 2 Class D fields (learned to fly at a rural grass strip), and that was several years ago during my training solo X-C's.

Looking for reports on MSN (Madison/Dane Co.) and C29 (Middleton). A local pilot recommended C29, tho the recent Airnav reviews are less than positive. The folks we're hoping to meet up with live 4 miles from MSN or 11 miles from C29, neither of which would be a big deal to me, but apparently they don't like to drive far. :dunno: That won't be primary in picking an airport, of course.

For Madison, where's Kent when we need him? He'd know the best choice there.

As far as the Tower goes, what's to fear?

If you're unsure... tell 'em in plain English that you're nervous and unfamiliar with the airport, or just say the magic words, "Student Pilot" and they'll treat you like Royalty. Even if you're not.

KMSN is a very friendly airport. While it is big they handle a lot of GA prop types and the FBO is more than accommodating to those types of planes as well. Just give them a call outside of 20NM from the airport. They will give you a squawk code and you will be all set. Class C is not all that intimidating. Perhaps a little brush up from the books on comm procedure and you will be all set. Probably the hardest part of bigger airport ops is the taxiing. Make sure you print out the runway diagram and repeat all hold short instruction. When in doubt ask for progressive taxi.

What are you afraid of? My home base is an uncontrolled 2700 foot bumpy runway but my CFI made me get lots of Class C and Class D practice. I was signed off to solo on my own to the nearby Class D within the 50nm. (although I haven't been PIC in Bravo yet.)

I never have had a bad experience at MSN. The controllers there are top notch.

I haven't posted here in a while, but this thread caught my attention. I finished up my instrument rating flying out of C29 a few months back, it is a great little airport, and great people. I don't understand the current Airnav reviews but would be tempted to chalk them up to someone having a bad day.

The flip side, is that as has already been said, the controllers at MSN are generally friendly and easy to work with. If MSN is more convenient for you, then I would go for it. From my experience I don't think you can go too wrong either way. It sounds like C29 is what you are thinking for your comfort zone, but if you want to push yourself a little and get some practice in class C I think MSN is probably a good place to do it.

Madison is a great airport, and I have flown there many times. The FBO staff are very helpful, and they had four crew cars available last time, with a great restaurant connected to the FBO.

The controllers have always been very helpful, and you can always ask for a progressive taxi. There are several intersecting runways, so an airport diagram is a necessity, but it is not too different from a delta airspace except for calling clearance first, and it might be the same controller as on ground, anyway.

No one in Madison will bite your head off, especially if you ask for help. Two most important things are to avoid a runway incursion and not taxi onto the commercial ramp or the military area. A progressive taxi would help here.

Thanks for all the responses -- I think I may try MSN for the experience after all, to push the comfort envelope a bit. (As I've been slowly doing with weather over the past couple months...the longer I went without flying, the more intimidating any non-CAVU weather looked. Talking to other pilots & CFI's for their opinion of the weather, flying under a 5000' broken ceiling on one flight, and a very light sprinkle or two later did alot to calibrate my "is this weather flyable" meter.)

What are you afraid of?
A good question; I think I'm fine on the radio (or at least, never had a problem yet in my limited experience), it's more of the other things that seem to be in play at larger airports, like complex intersections and the possibility of incursions. It could also just be the feeling of someone watching every move, waiting for a reason to give the dreaded phone number. (Unreasonable? Yup, but still the feeling...)

Two most important things are to avoid a runway incursion and not taxi onto the commercial ramp or the military area.
Exactly. I've studied the airport diagram and compared it with google earth photos; it looks like at least the military area is marked with red lines on the pavement. I'd already thought about progressive taxi (my CFI had me do that once during training); does it annoy the controllers at a busier airport?

And thanks to AcroBoy for mentioning clearance delivery, I hadn't remembered that aspect of it. I've been listening to the MSN feed on LiveATC today.

On the scale of things, MSN is not all that busy compared to say Milwaukee, indianapolis, etc. On a busy day, like if the Badgers are playing, you at get a little less personal attention, but it's never bad.

Your situational awareness of your location on the field is key, as they do have a lot intersecting runways. If you know where you are and where you want to go it shouldn't be too hard. At night it seems to be much more of a challenge.

Runway incursions are now a big concern, so if on your taxi you encounter a runway, you can always ask for confirmation of your clearance to cross. Controllers are now required to give explicit taxi instructions and specific runway crossing clearances, as compared to the former "taxi to the FBO,etc", so this should make it easier.

Have fun.

Have your notebook handy when you first call up to write down squawk codes, altitudes, and whatever else they throw at you if you elect to go into the C. (and when you call to leave as well.) That way you are much less likely to screw up like me.

Back