PIREP: Ludington, MI camping (state park)

aranpura

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ash
Thanks to everyone who helped us plan our little camping trip this week. We were initially hoping to do a round trip through New York, PA, and Connecticut, but we had to shorten our plans because of thunderstorms and work. So we then planned to visit a few sites in Michigan based on suggestions from folks here, and in the end we only made it to Ludington State Park.

The park itself was absolutely beautiful! It's very popular, and is probably 90% occupied by big RVs and motorhomes -- the campsite feels a bit like a parking lot -- but once you're away from the tents it's an idyllic spot. On the east side of the park, large sand dunes roll up to the edge of Lake Michigan, and the beach there is wide, soft, and perfect. For most of the length of that beach, we hardly saw another person. It feels very wild and natural. On the western side of the park, Hamlin Lake is still, tranquil, and perfect for swimming. There is a popular little beach on the lake, but it doesn't feel at all crowded. Then the park is filled with great hiking trails offering amazing views, and criss-crossing through lake views, thick woods, dunes, and "ocean" like views of Lake Michigan. If you want to be near water and beaches, there can't be a better place in the Midwest.

There were a few negatives for pilots. The closest airport is Mason County (KLDW), about 12 miles away. It's around a $25 cab ride, but the real problem is that the state park forbids cabs from coming in. We were told by one woman that we had to buy a $6 car pass for the taxi, then sent down the road 1.5 miles to buy the pass. Then we went back to the SAME WOMAN who said she'd been mistaken, the taxi wasn't allowed in at all! This woman would have stranded us with our tents and luggage and a hungry 18 month old baby 2 miles away from our campsite, but luckily a ranger turned up and waived the taxi through.

So if you fly in, you're much better off renting a car than trying to go by taxi. Renting a car will also allow you to pick up firewood, ice, etc in town for less than 1/2 the price the stuff is sold for in the park. It's a bit like Disneyworld pricing in there!

Overall, we're extremely glad that we went. It's definitely a motorhome / car oriented park, but if you don't mind some ancillary expenses, it's a beautiful place to stay for a few days.

-Ash.

Glad you enjoyed it! I did some hiking there a few years ago with my hiking group -- Big Sable Point Lighthouse is a very nice day hike destination in the park, but pack lots of sunscreen as there is no shade on the dunes. The campground itself is, yes, very RV/motor home oriented and crowded.

BTW I'm surprised you got a camping site without making reservations months in advance. When we went, we started planning in March and gave up on staying at the State Park. Instead, we picked two sites in the Manistee National Forest about 20 miles north of Ludington. It was primitive, no showers, but very nice and secluded, and the hiking was excellent with many miles of trails through the woods overlooking the Lake Michigan shore.

Really, it's hard to go wrong anywhere along the Lake Michigan "coast". :)

We were totally surprised by how spectacular the Michigan coast line was! Soft, clean sandy beaches and beautiful clear water, near forests and lakes... we couldn't have been happier.

When we first called to book a campsite we were also told none were available, and that they fill up 6 months in advance. Michigan parks have an online booking system, though, so you can keep checking. The day before our trip, we suddenly found 3-4 sites available. So we certainly got lucky.

-Ash.

We were totally surprised by how spectacular the Michigan coast line was! Soft, clean sandy beaches and beautiful clear water, near forests and lakes... we couldn't have been happier.

When we first called to book a campsite we were also told none were available, and that they fill up 6 months in advance. Michigan parks have an online booking system, though, so you can keep checking. The day before our trip, we suddenly found 3-4 sites available. So we certainly got lucky.

-Ash.
I spent several family summer vacations there in the 50's. There were no reservations back then so my folks would drive up after work and "camp" in the car (a station wagon) at the entrance to the park so there wouldn't be too many ahead of us when the gates opened in the morning. Both my parents were from the area (my dad went to Ludington high school in the 20's). We also sometimes rented a cottage on Hamlin Lake for a week or two. I don't remember there being any "RVs" other than a few Airstream trailers back than either and the campsites were pretty "natural". We always tried to get one near the lake since we had a boat along.

Last edited:
]When we first called to book a campsite we were also told none were available, and that they fill up 6 months in advance. Michigan parks have an online booking system, though, so you can keep checking. The day before our trip, we suddenly found 3-4 sites available. So we certainly got lucky.

-Ash.
Yes, that was luck! We used the online system too -- but we didn't have the luxury of waiting til the last minute. Also, we were a group of about 8, and needed two sites close together, so even getting into the national forest was a squeaker. But as early as March ('07 I think it was), there was literally NOTHING available at Ludington for the last weekend in July. Scary.

BTW a little Michigan secret: there are also very some nice dunes and coastline in the area of Port Austin, at the tip of the Thumb and for a few miles west of there on Saginaw Bay. No inland lakes, but a river or two and you can rent a canoe if it's your thing. Closest landing strip would be Grindstone City, but I don't think there's an FBO there. KBAX is the nearest airport with paved runways and facilities.

Next time try the sunrise side. You can walk to the state campground from my airport, KOSC, which is on Van Etten lake and your less than 5miles from Lake Huron. Plus if you talked real nice to my boss at the FBO he would let you use the crew car. Oscoda also has lots of fun stuff to do. We had art on the beach last weekend and of course 4th of July fun this weekend. Canoeing on the AuSable is also a great thing to do while you visit. Just watch out for the Eagles if you fly in, we have a bunch around here, and with water on both ends of the runway they are around.

Another advantage to Oscoda it that you'll have NO problem finding the runway! That was one of our first flights after we got our tickets, because Leslie's dad used to be based there. We rented a car and headed out to revisit some of her haunts as a child, so never got to the forest or anything. Maybe we'll try that one of these days.

Another advantage to Oscoda it that you'll have NO problem finding the runway! That was one of our first flights after we got our tickets, because Leslie's dad used to be based there. We rented a car and headed out to revisit some of her haunts as a child, so never got to the forest or anything. Maybe we'll try that one of these days.

Don't be so sure. Years ago, they landed a 727(?) at Tawas airport thinking it was Oscoda.

Another advantage to Oscoda it that you'll have NO problem finding the runway!
Yes, KOSC is one of the few fields where you could probably do your three takeoffs and landings to a full stop for night currency in a non-HP aircraft (say, a C-172) without a single taxi back.

Don't be so sure. Years ago, they landed a 727(?) at Tawas airport thinking it was Oscoda.
See now there is another cool thing to do while in the area, stop by Iosco Co Airport, have a cup of coffee with Marv and check out the cool photos of that event. It is still a major topic of conversation among local pilots. It happened before I moved here so I can't help with the type of aircraft but I believe it was a 4 engine cargo plane, 707? or DC-8?

Back