PIREP - KTVC Traverse City, MI and my new puppy!

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Flew up to KTVC yesterday for a quick trip to Sleeping Bear Dunes... Gotta say, super impressed by AvFlight at KTVC. Awesome line crew, very nice people all around, free ice cream, and located very conveniently to the action in Traverse City.

Flight up from KVLL was fun... All of the controllers on flight following were great (as always, Detroit, Flint, Saginaw, Minneapolis were friendly and easy to work with) and we jumped up from a planned 6,500 to an eventual 9,000 to stay up above the clouds without issue. Descending into TVC from 9,000 was a little tough for me - I knew I needed to start down about 40 miles early but had to wait to clear some clouds, so I had to compress my descent and go down at 700-800fpm, but it all worked out. I'm still working on getting the hang of a much faster (to me) plane...

Traverse City is great and we took a rental car from TVC to Sleeping Bear Dunes, which is ~45 minutes away. Drove around, saw some cool stuff, ate lunch and went back to the airport. Flight back was uneventful - special thanks to PTK for letting me descend through their airspace into VLL.

xXvN9cd.jpg

Most importantly to me, this was my first flight with the new puppy, Sir Piper Cub, and he did great! Only tried to sneak into the front seat one time... otherwise he was a good boy.

Nice pictures! I've flown to KTVC many times when I was based in Michigan. One of my favorite destinations for cyclotouring. Though I used Harbor Air... then I heard that Harbor Air went out of business. That was sad to hear. I never saw AvFlight there... wonder if they are in the same building that Harbor used to be in.

Your pup is a beauty too...

Wait, I just noticed... you flew in from KVLL. That's exactly where I was based! (and I recognize the tail number...) Small world... anyway have fun flying that 182RG!

Awesome, that's a nice easy flight in your plane. We flew past Ludington, Manastee, Frankfort, Sleeping Bear Dunes, & Charlevoix and just kept going on an awesome flycation last summer that took us up the entire east coast of Lake Michigan and back down the other side. That is a beautiful lake & coastline:MichiganIMG_4457.JPG MichiganIMG_4459.JPG MichiganIMG_4468.JPG MichiganIMG_4472.JPG

Thanks for the PIREP. I'll be there in a few weeks. I stayed with harbor air last time.

Back