PIREP - KRDG Malibooze Restaurant => GREAT!

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
Ok,.. so tonight was an OK night to start, and turned into a great evening for flying! Originally, my college roommate, Brian, was going to be flying in on business from Minneapolis in an Aluminum Mailing tube, so I had planned to be flying with him tonight. Unfortunately, those plans didn't work out and his business schedule was rearranged. So, I'm not one to cancel a flight, so I headed over to Wings field at 3 PM to get my briefing from FSS and prepare to launch to Quakertown to pick up my Father-in-law, Mark. From there, I'd give him the choice of places to go for dinner.

I launched of RY 6, as the winds were between 330-360 at 7 gusting 14. Quakertown was reporting 310 at 10 G 15, so I planned to land on RY 29 there. Sky conditions had broken clouds at 4500, and as I climbed out I was very,.. very temped to pop up on top of this layer. Plenty of big wide open holes to get through, and it was clear at Allentown, so if I did get on top there would be no trouble coming back down. Well, I was about to pick an opening when I saw a BIG military jet climbing out of Willow Grove and turning my way. I was over the PA turnpike Northeast Extension, so he was going to go up and over me. I stayed at 2800-2900 and cruised up to Quakertown. Landing at Quakertown was a little challenging. I've been fortunate with my recent flights not to have crosswinds, and today was a good night for practicing in these winds. My first approach was ok. Crabbed into the wind, but when I transitioned to a slip I lost the runway centerline and drifted off to the left. Without hesitation, the power came up and I was going around. Second time on the approach, I lengthened my downwind leg to give me a little longer final, and approached with 20 * flaps. This one was a keeper from the turn to final. I felt much more solid in the crab and the transition over the numbers to the slip was smooth. Right main landed first and a nice touchdown just left of center. I taxied over and shutdown, as my passenger wasn't there yet.

After a passenger breifing, a discussion of places to go, we decided to head over to Reading for dinner. We each called our wives, and out to the plane we went. After getting in and situated, we departed RY 29 without much trouble and headed over to Green Lane Res. Here, I switched over the radios so I was ready for all the frequencies I set on the ground as we slowly turned over his house and Pennsburg. At the north end of the lake, we turned back on course and headed to Reading. Information Kilo was in effect according to ATIS.

I called out to Approach, and made radar contact. I changed the transponder to 0174, and was cleared over to Tower. Tower advised me to report 2 mile final for RY 31, so we began our decent from 3000 and over the ridge outside of Reading. Turned final, reported, and was cleared to land on 31. Landing was nice,.. very good. Winds were 350 @15 G 17, but RY 36 was Notamed tonight for work, so 31 it was. I made a nice landing with the stall horn going off just as the mains touched, and we made our way over to the Terminal.

Dinner at Malibooze restaurant was great! :yes: Service was very good and they were very kind. We watched a few small jets come and go, and a few other Piper's and Cessna's playing in the winds. The sky was clearing up, and you could see for miles, even on the grounds of the airport. It was definitely going to be a nice flight back. Mark had the Roast beef and fries, with gravy, and I had the Chicken Fingers and fries. I was eyeing up a steak, but the plate portions looked huge from the entrees people had around us. The food was great all around. Definitely a return trip to this restaurant is in order.

We shorly finished and we made our way back onto the ramp. We were the only GA plane parked here tonight, but the restaurant was hopping. I used my Icom A23 to get ATIS while completing a walkaround. Winds were 360 @ 10 G 17, RY 36 was now in use, but the approaches were out of service. After stuffing back into the plane after a full meal, we started up and taxied down Alpha to 36 for our runup. Everything checked out, and we were cleared to depart 36, proceed on course after departure. I climbed out to 1500, then turned 070 to head back towards the Quakertown direction. Up to 3500, leveled off and leaned out the engine and we were in our glory. It was smooth and nearly felt calm up here. Winds weren't affecting us much at all, and you could see the Philadelphia skyline from here already. The evening sun was getting low, and the terrain looked so surreal, and peaceful,... He was having a good time and we discussed some of the instruments and general items about flying. Soon enough, it was time to decent to TPA for Quakertown. Made my calls, and we made a nice landing on RY 29. Winds were getting alittle lighter now, reported at 350 @ 8, with no real gusts this time.

After a very breif shutdown, I was up and running again, in order to leave for Wings. It was about 7pm now and I was all alone for the trip back. He watched as I departed, I'm sure he had a good time. On my way back to Wings at 2500, I only saw a few other planes in the sky, but it was nice out and I was having a good time. I dropped to 2000 just past Lansdale, to get ready for dropping down to pattern altitude when I saw a glimpse of a helicopter off my right wing and above me, but nearly going over me if we stayed on the same direction. I pulled the power and started my decent to 1500, when I realized this was a flight of two Apache Attack Helicopters!! Wow, what a moment,.. and my Camera is in the back seat! DOH!! Good ole cell phone to the partial rescue,.. although it doesnt' do it justice, it was cool seeing these guys. He crossed over me and over Wings, heading in the direction of Willow Grove but I don't think they landed.

Bob Ciotti heard me make my radio call 2 miles out, and chimed in over his handheld for a minute. I responded my flight was good and dinner was great, and I entered crosswind. I thought he was on the ground or in the air, but he was just on his way home from work and saw a plane in the air,... by coincidence, it was me. I landed on 24 with the right main first, as the crosswind was still present,.. then as I leveled the wings to set the left main on, the right came up! I had an "Oh ****" :hairraise: moment but recovered without trouble and rolled out to the end of the runway.

Very nice night to be flying, and the sky was so clear now. As I parked, I was left with one of the spots you have to push the plane back uphill into. I chocked a wheel, got the towbar on the nose, took off the parking brake,.. and Pushed,.. and Pushed,... barely moving the plane. I was able to get the plane moving about 5 feet when the lineman came down to help me. He's a great guy, and we both easily moved the plane now. He tied down one side while I did the other, and then proceeded to top off the tanks for tomorrows renters.

2.0 tonight on the Hobbs, Crosswind Refresher, Great Meal! :cheerswine:

Attachments

• ATT00022.jpg
    ATT00022.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 17
  • ATT00025.jpg
    ATT00025.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 13
  • ATT00016.jpg
    ATT00016.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5828.JPG
    IMG_5828.JPG
    887.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5825.JPG
    IMG_5825.JPG
    305.3 KB · Views: 8
Good right up Rob. I haven't been to Malibooze yet but RDG is one of my favorite airports. Had you been there before?

Lee

Sounds like a great time, I was sitting here studying for the IR written, wishing that I was instead flying.

Any restaurant with "booze" in the name has to be good (unless you're PIC!)

This was my second time into Reading, it's a fun airport to get good radio work in. I read the reports on AirNav regarding the restaurant and decided it sounded nice. Their website has the menu too,.. lots of great stuff! Very good and affordable, with large proportions.

Malibooz is great haven't been there in a bit I should go back. So Rob you didn't say how your father in law liked the flight in a GA Plane!

He had a great time and now feels much better about Becky and I flying somewhere. He complimented me at dinner, saying how it takes a lot of dedication to learn all this stuff and he would be lost.

The bumps were small to moderate on the ridgeline outside of Reading, and he didn't mind. The flight home was smooth and he was spotting places he recognized and stated how small everything seems from up there and how close you actually are to different things by air, but take so long to get to by car.

I left him at Quakertown with a good handshake and a smile on his face. By the time I was back at Wings he had already called my wife and gave her a summary of the night, saying he had a very good time. :)

Good Right Up Rob - I agree that the restaurant is a fun one. You can park right outside the large windows of the restaurant!

It's a great place for newer students to have lunch and bring along a scanner too to listen to ATC communications real time and be able to see the traffic in the pattern and how it reacts to ATC instructions.

Great Idea,..
bring along a scanner too to listen to ATC communications real time and be able to see the traffic in the pattern and how it reacts to ATC instructions

I left mine in the plane, but did use it to get the new ATIS during preflight.

Back