SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
OK, the jury's in and it's a winner!

I had two sets of DC H10-40 headsets, given me by a friend of my Dad who had suspended all aviation operations on account of advancing age, and they were just sitting around gathering dust, so I decided, "what the heck," and ordered up the Headsets, Inc. ANR kit. I also ordered the auto shutoff box, and the integrated cord.

All was received as ordered, and I installed the kit per the included instructions. In all, it took me about two hours, but I did take my time.

After that, I put them on my head and flipped the switch, and it was sort of eerie, how all the low-frequency background noise of life sort of "slurped" away. Still, I had to test 'em in the plane for sure.

In the plane, I hooked 'em up and went flying (no, I did not fly just to test the headset, I was going somewhere anyway). I left them off until I was done with my initial climb, then flipped them on, and was extremely impressed with the level of noise reduction. ATC was impressed with the noise reduction- that is, the reduction of noise from my mouth, as the microphone on the headsets stopped working. Oops! I swapped back to my old standby Telex headset (I did not fly the first time with a newly-modified headset as my only available unit).

Back home (after aging the headset for a couple of weeks), I opened up the headsets to find out where I screwed up to make the mic quit working, and determined... I didn't. The mic was just flaky (whereupon I remembered, that was why I stopped using that headset a couple of years ago anyway). So, I procured the microphone from the other old pair of H10-40s, and all was well, again, and this time, they worked without hiccup.

Now, after a couple of trips with them, I am very satisfied, and I have one other observation. I had always heard, and had to generally agree, that the DC's had enough clamping pressure to be uncomfortable- yet, with the NC switched on, they somehow manage not to be uncomfortable anymore. It is true: good NC headphones truly do reduce your fatigue. In addition, it is amazing how much more clearly I hear ATC calls.

Now, someday I intend to get some Bose or Zulus, but the Headsets, Inc. mod is an excellent upgrade, giving me good performing ANC headsets for about $225.00, plus the donor headset. I am next putting the mod into Tommy's Red Baron headset, and (perhaps) into one of the sets of Telex (although HS, Inc. says that this is a tight fit).

On balance, if you have decent electronic assembly skills, I heartily recommend the Headsets, Inc. ANR upgrade.

Spike,

I've flown with the Headsets, Inc. conversion and they do a nice job, although I think the DC's clamp like a vise with or without the noise cancelling.

You do not want to fly with a new Lightspeed Zulu headset, however, unless you're ready to pull out your checkbook. I've owned noise cancelling headsets from Sennheiser, Telex, and all of the Bose models including the Bose X. Nothing comes close to the Zulu.

If you get a chance try a pair. You'll buy them for yourself and leave everything else to your pax. :D

Yah, Chip, I know.

Long-term plan is for the Zulus for me and for CJane. She probably gets the first pair (which is to say, I buy a pair which she gets to wear when we fly together). I like the Bluetooth feature, too.

Final configuration will probably be 2x Zulus in the front row, Tommy's ANR Red Barons, and the DC's I just converted in the back.

I'll keep this idea in mind for those who need ANC for the amount of time they fly but can't quite afford to swing a new set of Lightspeed or otherwise. At first, I balked at the price of the kit but then felt it was pretty reasonable considering the price of even the lower grade ANC units.

http://www.headsetsinc.com/

Long-term plan is for the Zulus for me and for CJane. She probably gets the first pair (which is to say, I buy a pair which she gets to wear when we fly together).

I'm fortunate. Becca won't wear a headset at all. She reads, sleeps, and occasionally mouths, "where are we?" to which I respond, "I have no idea." It's been that way for about 38 years.

If you get a chance try a pair. You'll buy them for yourself and leave everything else to your pax. :D
We'll have one or two available at Gaston's this year that people are welcome to try when we're not using them! I haven't flown with them yet (I got these for Leslie), but she seems to like them!

Leslie's been having some COM troubles in the 210 the last couple times she's been up, and I'm not sure if it's an incompatibility or something with the Zulus and another headset or if there's a problem with the avionics. Hopefully we'll figure it out soon.

I put a Headsets, Inc conversion into a Softcom D4. It wasn't that hard. It woks well though the arrangement for the Battery is a bit.....klugy. But I wished I'd done it instead to a Pair of DC10-10s. The D4 is a cheap headset.

When my Lightspeed 15 mic gave up though, I bought a Telex 30. Just a great comfortable headset.....

I put a Headsets, Inc conversion into a Softcom D4. It wasn't that hard. It woks well though the arrangement for the Battery is a bit.....klugy. But I wished I'd done it instead to a Pair of DC10-10s. The D4 is a cheap headset.

When my Lightspeed 15 mic gave up though, I bought a Telex 30. Just a great comfortable headset.....
Bruce, if you still have the Lightspeed set, there's a good chance they will send a replacement mic to you for free. I've gotten a few replacement items for my Thirty 3Gs the last couple years.

Excellent! I was considering another Bose X for the passeneger,.. but I think I like your way better.

I'm fortunate. Becca won't wear a headset at all. She reads, sleeps, and occasionally mouths, "where are we?" to which I respond, "I have no idea." It's been that way for about 38 years.

I am next putting the mod into Tommy's Red Baron headset, and (perhaps) into one of the sets of Telex (although HS, Inc. says that this is a tight fit).

On balance, if you have decent electronic assembly skills, I heartily recommend the Headsets, Inc. ANR upgrade.

Spike

I've done several conversions over the years and have done a couple of the small Telex sets. It is a tight fit but not unreasonable. The only issues I've ever had were an occasional frayed/broken wire caused by folding the Telex sets, but then I've also repaired many other sets that had a broken wire.
I don't know what todays prices are, but I'll bet the auto shut off adds some. I'd only used the original kits which went for around $169.

Spike

I've done several conversions over the years and have done a couple of the small Telex sets. It is a tight fit but not unreasonable. The only issues I've ever had were an occasional frayed/broken wire caused by folding the Telex sets, but then I've also repaired many other sets that had a broken wire.
I don't know what todays prices are, but I'll bet the auto shut off adds some. I'd only used the original kits which went for around $169.

The auto shutoff adds $10.00; not unreasonable, in my view. I buy the kit with the new cord, as well, which adds $19.00, but is very well-crafted and makes a neater setup. In-toto, adds up to $200.00-ish, which is not bad, not great, just so-so.

You find the ANR works well in the Telex headset, then? I was wondering whether the less-forceful fit (less clamping) might be less-effective as well.

adds up to $200.00-ish, which is not bad, not great, just so-so.

I've bought ANR headsets for less than that... Here's a complete ANR headset with cell phone and music input for $229: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/skycomIIANR.php

You find the ANR works well in the Telex headset, then? I was wondering whether the less-forceful fit (less clamping) might be less-effective as well.

Only for passive noise reduction - Your average ANR headset has less clamping force than your average passive headset because a slight bit of extra noise due to less clamping can be made up by the ANR.

I added gel seals to the Telex sets which I beleived helped. They are not as good as my new Stratus 30XTs by any means, but I used them with much satisfaction for several years. As you know the Telex have the ability to adjust the clamping tensinon. I set mine on mid level and my wife liked hers on low level. We've flown some long days with the converted sets that I know could not have been done without the ANR. I don't remember the model of the old Telex, but they were pretty much on the lower end.

I've bought ANR headsets for less than that... Here's a complete ANR headset with cell phone and music input for $229: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/skycomIIANR.php

Have you used that headset? I wonder if it's any good. I have a DC 10-13.4 right now. I've always liked it, but would love ANR. Since I saw this thread I've been kicking around this upgrade. I would think that my DC with ANR added would end up being better than this SkyCom.

What I like about the DCs upgraded, is that the David Clark headsets are so darned durable- essentially, last forever.

The Headsets, Inc. parts'n'pieces seem very well-crafted, and I think built properly, they'll last just fine.

Have you used that headset? I wonder if it's any good. I have a DC 10-13.4 right now. I've always liked it, but would love ANR. Since I saw this thread I've been kicking around this upgrade. I would think that my DC with ANR added would end up being better than this SkyCom.

It's an OEM'ed Lightspeed headset. Lightspeed doesn't actually sell an equivalent model, but it's basically the QFR Solo (Lightspeed's excellent passive set) with ANR, including the cell/music input. Then, they slap either an Aircraft Spruce or Gulf Coast Avionics label on it.

I bought Kate the Gulf Coast one for her birthday, so you'll have to ask her whether it's any good. (I've heard good things so far. :)) In fact, the reason I bought it for her is that A) I thought a pro needs an ANR set, and B) She really liked the fit of the QFR Solo. Her FBO is a Lightspeed dealer, and she seemed to use the (*cough*) "display" model QFR Solo a lot more often than her own David Clarks.

As a bonus, I bought it on eBay from Able Flight so the money went to a good cause too - Gulf Coast donated three of them for that exact purpose.

It's an OEM'ed Lightspeed headset. Lightspeed doesn't actually sell an equivalent model, but it's basically the QFR Solo (Lightspeed's excellent passive set) with ANR, including the cell/music input. Then, they slap either an Aircraft Spruce or Gulf Coast Avionics label on it.

Apparently Lightspeed does make a version of the Solo series with ANR, I guess, called the QFRXCc found here: http://www.lightspeedaviation.com/productsqfrx2.asp (Didn't notice this before.)

The display (*cough*) model Kent mentioned looks just like the one in the link above but without ANR. I would have to look to see which model it is.

Anyway, the one Kent bought me is great... fits me just as perfectly as the passive one I had been using, and boy, what a difference ANR makes. Yes there is a reduction in overall noise, but I'd have to say the biggest improvement I notice is the clarity of the intercom & radio. With passive headsets, not only am I putting up with more noise in general, but I'm compensating for that with a louder intercom volume... only compounding the problem of fatigue over time. With my new ANR set, I have less background noise and therefore don't need to have the intercom blasting into my ears.

We do keep a Lightspeed 20XLc in stock, but even though it has ANR, I haven't adopted it because I don't like how it fits me. Some people love it, some don't.

Until reading this thread I didn't know there was a third-party ANR conversion you could buy. That's a pretty good idea.

I've done a couple of DC s in the past for friends and all are very pleased with the results.

Spike,
I've owned noise cancelling headsets from Sennheiser, Telex, and all of the Bose models including the Bose X. Nothing comes close to the Zulu.

Better than Bose X ? Really ? Wow.

Back