PIREP: Greenwood Lake Airport

Thanks for posting that.

they had planned (or perhaps did already and now it's gone) to make the plane into a bar,

The Connie was the seating area for a resturaunt/bar in the early/mid 1980's when we went there numerous times. They had some good food. I'll have to try to go dig out the pictures from those trips next time I'm at my parents house. (It'll be a while though)

Story two is closer to the truth. They dug out the hill at the end of the runway and extended the opposite end so the Connie could land there. It was a one way trip and apparently it took almost all the available runway to get it stopped according to one of the people who was there when it landed in the 1970's. There was only a single small jetway size entrance in the starboard rear side of the fuselage, not two as the story indicates though that could have been added later. The flight deck was classic had a plexiglass panel just behind the seats. Beautiful old plane. I'm glad we had the opportunity to board her and have lunch there several times.

Last edited:
Back