PIREP: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4

jrollf

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jrollf
I kept having charging issues with my Nexus 7 (2012, 1st gen) so I finally broke down and bought a new tablet.

After a lot of research I chose the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4. It is definately not one of the cheaper Android tablets but I think it is well worth it. I've had it about a week so far. Here are some of the reasons I chose it:

*Wanted a screen larger than my Nexus 7 but didn't want a 10 inch tablet either.
*Highest screen dpi in its class.
*Brighter screen than my old Nexus 7.
*One of the fastest CPUs and GPUs available.
*Can use up to 64gb micro SD cards to increase storage.
*Multi-tasking display, can use split screen mode and run two programs at once. **See further info about this below.

First impressions:

It has been solid and stable so far. Unlike my Nexus 7 It will easily charge from my car chargers even while using GPS maps and tethered to my phone via wi-fi. No matter what charger I used I could never get my Nexus 7 to do that.

The screen is mostly taller than wide when compared to the Nexus 7, it is a 16:9 format screen. At first I didn't think I would like the tall but skinny aspect of it, but later found it was great for using the split screen modes. This was the first device I have had that doesn't have problems with polarized sun glasses. Like all my touch screens I immediately put an anti-glare screen protector on it to reduce glare and improve outside visibility, these screen protectors usually solve the polarization issues as well, but as I mentioned it was not needed for this display.

** By default the split screen mode only works with a few 'tested/approved' programs. This can be changed if you are willing to Root the tablet (DISCLAIMER: rooting may void the warranty!) After rooting I installed a program called MW Manager that allows you to add virtually any program to the sidebar that is used to launch programs in multi-window mode.

My prime aviation app is 'Avare', a free but very capable moving map program. Another program I like to use is 'GPS Test' which provides a large easy to read display with GPS based ground speed ground track (can be set to true or magnetic North) and altitude. Added to the multi-screen both programs run at the same time without lag and no noticeable problems so far.

arynynut.jpg

If I'm flying low enough to get cell service (which I usually am) I can tether my tablet to my phone and then replace GPS Test with 'RadarNow' to see what the doppler radar is showing around me without having to overlay it in Avare.

abavevu6.jpg

My first impressions of the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 are very good. Samsung also makes versions of this tablet in 10 and 12 inch, I have not played with those.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Another thought, I can run multiple program in split screen window and switch back and forth between them, for instance in the pictures above I can have both GPS Test and RadarNow running in the bottom window and use the task switcher button to switch between them.

The only 'negative' i have found so far is the 'home' button is a physical button, I would of preferred a touch button like the task switcher and back buttons.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Back