Pirep for PVD

Paul Allen

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Paul
I might be going to Providence in two weeks and Airnav's comments on PVD aren't very good. Does anyone have any recent experience with this airport?

Does anyone from the area know what kind of routing I might get. I will file direct in hopes of going direct.

Thanks

KOQU sounds much nicer. Any reason you cannot use them?

I know nothing about either airport and am just going by the AirNac comments like you. But it seems that there are several comments comparing PVD to OQU with OQU winning.

i've used both. In spite of the Airnav warnings, I flew into PVD twice about a month ago. Both visits were AOK - lineman waved me in, offered to help with bags, counter person was very nice. No problems. $20, maybe $25 for a 10 minute stop was a drag, but that's life at big airports. I was expecting a nightmare but, frankly, the service was fine.

Most of the time I do fly to OQU, and I can't say enough about the folks at Landmark. They are all friendly and professional, from line service to the desk. If you need a car, they recommend Hertz - make the reservation through them. It's only about a 20-25min drive into Providence.

Where are you flying from? From the south/west, most of the time you'll go via ORW or GON. Unless PVD is busy I usually get direct once past KHVN anyway.

EDIT: I see you're from OH. You can file direct, but you won't get it!! Welcome to the Northeast! Look at the STAR for PVD, that should give you a good idea what to file, even though it's for jets. IIRC, from the west you'd probably go via ALB and BDL.

Last edited:
They brought us in over BDL on the STAR coming from the north, so you can probably expect that. Other than that...squawk alt during all taxi operations. And uh...we park on the back side of the southern wing of the terminal; but I don't think that helps you much.

They brought us in over BDL on the STAR coming from the north, so you can probably expect that. Other than that...squawk alt during all taxi operations. And uh...we park on the back side of the southern wing of the terminal; but I don't think that helps you much.

VA beach now? I'm up in Richmond a few weeks a month... we should meet for barbecue up in Urbanna.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Northstar Aviation at PVD. Easy to find - right at the end of one of the taxiways. Looks like a dump from the streetside, but nice facilities inside. They even have a shower.

Landmark at OQU looks like a dump from the outside and inside. They're remodeling soon, though.

VA beach now? I'm up in Richmond a few weeks a month... we should meet for barbecue up in Urbanna.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Absolutely. I'm not sure where Urbanna is yet, but I'm sure I can find it:yes:. We just moved down here about a month ago, so I'm still getting my bearings. Let me know when you'll be around next!

Back