PIREP for KSAN/SAN for VFR pilots?

smltk1

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
smltk1
Friend and I are looking to fly into SAN on Friday late afternoon/early evening for the experience. Neither of us have instrument ratings or have been into a class B airport so we're somewhat apprehensive but we've heard/been told that SAN is one of the easier class B airports to get into. Both of us did our training in Los Angeles so we're familiar in congested airspace and we'll be coming in from the north.

My friend is doing the flying portion and I'll be handling the radios. What can we expect in terms of getting in and out? Is it similar to a class C airport, minus needing the 'cleared into the class bravo'?

There's only one FBO there, Landmark, so we'll end up parking there for the day and then departing later into the night, weather permitting. What sort of fees are we looking at? Any must-visit places for our short stay in San Diego?

Any tips, comments, advice, etc. is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

San? MYF or see aren't good enough? San has 1 runway and doing it on a lark can throw a monkey wrench into their flow.

You can do it. Absolutely. But if you are doing it to get it in the logbook, don't.

Consider MYF or SEE. MYF is close enough to MYF to see SAN on arrival and departure.

There may be a marine layer fri am. MYF clears earlier.

Class b is often handed out on first call up. Use FF on your way down so you get cleared in on first call up.

The Aerospace museum in Balboa park is a must see. There is a trolley stop a couple of blocks from Landmark. The USS Midway is a great stop too, and the old ATSF station downtown is really cool too,

Last edited:
I landed at KSAN couple weeks ago. They wasn't too busy on Saturday at 6PM when I arrived. I flew VFR along the coast from Santa Barbara, last segments OCN MZB KSAN. Got cleared to class B and from MZB entered right downwind to RWY29. After landing first turn right and taxi to Landmark on taxiway C. Landmark is fantastic FBO, very friendly to GA. No landing fees, overnight fee is $30 per night, half of it if you buy fuel. They gave us a ride in their van to hotel in downtown. They also have crew cars - Nissan Leaf that you can borrow for an hour or two which I did on the way back to pick up my stuff from hotel. Before taxiing from FBO don't forget to call clearence delivery to get your departure instructions, code and departure frequency. On departure tower called me as soon as I finished runup and taxied to hold short line and asked if I'm ready to go. I was ready so they cleared me immediately and asked to turn right heading 310 when able. I turned after passing tower. Easy enough.
Typical advise - don't miss radio calls and follow instructions.

San? MYF or see aren't good enough? San has 1 runway and doing it on a lark can throw a monkey wrench into their flow.

You can do it. Absolutely. But if you are doing it to get it in the logbook, don't.

Consider MYF or SEE. MYF is close enough to MYF to see SAN on arrival and departure.

There may be a marine layer fri am. MYF clears earlier.

Class b is often handed out on first call up. Use FF on your way down so you get cleared in on first call up.

The Aerospace museum in Balboa park is a must see. There is a trolley stop a couple of blocks from Landmark. The USS Midway is a great stop too, and the old ATSF station downtown is really cool too,

Why not land at KSAN? If its where he wants to/needs to go, he's paying taxes for the use of that airport just like anyone else. I see no reason why he would avoid it, just because the airlines have taken over.

That said - to the OP - be on your toes - it'll be a lot busier than the relievers in the area, for sure.

Landmark at KSAN is great and very accommodating. KSAN is not the busiest place in the Class B universe but they only have one runway.

It'll prob be IFr when you want to land in the AM anyway - so have a plan B

Last time I landed at KSAN was about five years ago -- it was my alternate; KMYF's ILS was down and KCRQ was below minimums. I was treated very well by the controllers and FBO at KSAN, although I'm quite sure my Bonanza was the only piston-powered aircraft on the airport that evening.

Last edited:
FWIW, I've seen more go-arounds by Part 121 jets at KSAN than any other airport....and that has been just due to spacing between other jets. You really need to bring your A-game if you intend to fly a piston single into Lindbergh. Yes, it can be safely done, but if you dilly-dally at all......alot of people are not going to be terribly happy with you. People can say all they want about their rights, but why make waves? Like Comanche Pilot said, MYF and SEE are very convenient (and considerably cheaper) alternatives...especially when fuel is $7.36 for 100LL at Landmark right now.

If you go there, tell us how easily you can read license plates on final, in a piston.

You can get dang close in a 737.

I presume you need to do a full-throttle approach to keep the 737s from gaining on you.....well, there's at least a lot of runway to float down.

I presume you need to do a full-throttle approach to keep the 737s from gaining on you.....well, there's at least a lot of runway to float down.

I did that to TPA in a 172 and to PHL in an SR20, holding 115kts or so until short final. They're comparable Class B airports, or perhaps a bit bigger. Approach and tower appreciated the speed, and I fit into the flow MUCH better that way. Also, when on that approach to PHL, I was parallel and downwind from a DC-10 on a simultaneous approach...I had no desire to let him get a bit past me and be subject to wake turbulence. Matching his speed, or nearly so, took that out of the equation.

Only problem with a fast approach at KSAN is the airport layout. If you use alot of runway to bleed off the speed and land, you may miss C6 (last exit on the right side......which means you will have to exit left and then depending on your timing, you could be waiting for an extended period of time to get cleared back across 27 to get to Landmark.

You might call ahead to the tower before you depart LA and ask them when it would be a good time for your adventure. I think they would really appreciate that small courtesy. That one runway can get really busy at times, and to me, it is almost a true CS act to try and mix a put-put in among all that big iron. Those controllers hands are pretty full as it is.

-John

I'm planning to fly out there myself mid October for a conference. I definitely want to tour the bay VFR. How busy is it around the SF downtown area/Alcatraz/Golden Gate bridge area? (under the Bravo and Charlie shelves of course) Any local tips on a good sightseeing tour?

I also plan on going to Napa (of course) before heading back. Any tips there? Routes? Preferred airports?

Thanks to any locals who can give advice.

I'm planning to fly out there myself mid October for a conference. I definitely want to tour the bay VFR. How busy is it around the SF downtown area/Alcatraz/Golden Gate bridge area? (under the Bravo and Charlie shelves of course) Any local tips on a good sightseeing tour?

I also plan on going to Napa (of course) before heading back. Any tips there? Routes? Preferred airports?

Thanks to any locals who can give advice.

Since KSAN is San Diego and the Bay Tour is in San Francisco . . . instead of hijacking this thread perhaps searching for San Francisco Bay Tour may generate a lot more hits . . .

I have this suspicion that you thought that KSAN meant San Francisco . . . .

:D:D;)

Since KSAN is San Diego and the Bay Tour is in San Francisco . . . instead of hijacking this thread perhaps searching for San Francisco Bay Tour may generate a lot more hits . . .

I have this suspicion that you thought that KSAN meant San Francisco . . . .

:D:D;)

:D

Sorry everyone.

Back