PIREP for Bay & LA areas

Discussion in 'Cool Places to Fly' started by Cici, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Cici

Cici Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cici
    Going on a spring break trip w/ the family. I'm going to pick up the family in SLC and then fly west. We have both the Bay and LA areas on the list (as well as SEZ).

We wanted to overnight in San Francisco. Seems KSQL is a safe bet? From my research the FBO is friendly, close to the "heart" of San Francisco etc. We wanted to catch BART into town, is that possible from SQL (with shuttle or reasonable uber)? Any other airports we should consider. I read Hayward is another good option.

I have a good friend that lives in the Burbank area. Is KVNY the best for a lowly GA guy trying to park for a night? I don't need a hanger. Rental car doesn't bother me. I tend to avoid the $ignature $ervice (and $7 LL) we've all come to know and love.

What if I was trying to airbnb something on the coast and I decide my good friend isn't that good after all? Oxnard a good base to see some coast and grab a nice house for the night?

What about Beaches end of March? I assume too cold, but I want to tell my daughter some stranger on the internet decided that, not me.

Heard a lot about flying into KSEZ. Best to go in IFR and follow an approach in or no big deal VFR in clear weather?

2. Palmpilot

Palmpilot Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    BART would be a fairly short Uber ride from SQL. Study the Terminal Area Chart carefully before coming in!

There is a decent restaurant open for breakfast and lunch in the terminal building, which is next to transient parking.

3. Pilawt

Pilawt Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pilawt
    Whiteman (KWHP) is convenient to the Burbank area, and more suited to light G.A. Check Airnav or call around for prices and transportation options.

It is definitely no big deal VFR in clear weather. Phoenix approach provides flight following in the area, and is recommended. Don't miss Sedona; it is spectacular.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. dreyna14

dreyna14 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Daniel
    KVNY is not exactly a convenient GA location. Huge corporate jet hub. As mentioned, KWHP is about ten miles away and a but more convenient, but right under the KBUR class C. I live in Oxnard and the coming months will get into some marine layer if you aren't IFR but you can get an AirBnB at the beach easily and very close by. Camarillo is a great airport with a fantastic restaurant and CAF museum. KSZP has the best avgas around for a buck cheaper than anywhere else.

Beaches will be cold for swimming but I'm a big wuss about that so take it with a grain of salt.

If you make it to the Oxnard area, send me a message.

5. mr_happyland

mr_happyland Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    mr_happyland
    KWHP (my home airport) is the way to go for proximity and cost for Burbank. BUR is obviously the most convenient, but it will cost you a little more. Transient at WHP is something like $10/nt (don't quote me on that).

The cheapest fuel in the area (and a great airport to visit) is KSZP (Santa Paula).

The weather has been so unusual here the past month (cold and wet) but usually end of March you can expect 70's during the day. The water will be cold.

Regarding an airbnb along the coast, there are obviously many options, depending on the kind of vibe you are looking for. One really cool airport right next to the beach that I would recommend checking out is Oceano.

6. Stan Cooper

Stan Cooper Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Stan Cooper
    That would be Sky Kitchen. I use any excuse to have lunch there.

7. Cici

Cici Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cici
    Oceano looks cool. We may add that as a lunch stop, but I'm too chicken to commit a night time stop (with advance reservations) with the cirrus loaded up with the whole family. I can give it a couple tries and we can find lunch somewhere else if I'm not feeling it. Im used to field elevations of 6000' and 9000'+ runways. I'll have to start paying attention to how far my ground roll is and putting it down where i want it....

8. olasek

olasek Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    olasek
    I live in the Bay Area, would never pick KSQL - short runway, easy to violate airspace (class B is right above you), congested, cramped.
    I am partial to KHWD with its superior real estate, better approaches, easier airspace. BART is nearby.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  9. dans2992

dans2992 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dans2992
    At KSEZ, calm (or low winds) dictate landing 3, depart 21. There is a definite uphill slant to 3.

Traffic is usually reasonably light.