PIREP: Dynon DRX

nj-pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
josh_me
Anyone used their portable ADS-B receiver? $350, seems to have traffic + weather (no AHRS).
I'm not sure I need AHRS - really care mostly about weather and traffic.

I have one. I really like it. Great battery life. Nice carrying case.

I've got one and it worked great up until this weekend (purchased back in January). For whatever reason it stopped working mid-flight and I couldn't get the unit to shut down or reset, so had to wait for it to run out of battery. Dynon has been great with tech support and I'm supposed to send the unit back for warranty repair. Here's the interesting thing, I plugged it back in to see if it would recharge and now it's working fine again. :eek:

Will test it again this weekend to see if this was an isolated event or if it happens again and then off it'll go. It's a great little unit that feeds weather and traffic to FlyQ perfectly. Hasn't dropped wifi at anytime like my panel mounted (and much more expensive) unit was prone to do from time to time before I sold that airplane for the the current one...:rolleyes:

Only thing I can think of that changed was I was charging the unit from a panel mounted USB charger. Maybe it caught a stray volt and lost it's mind???

Brian

Back