PIREP: Color Laser printer from Dell, $169

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I had a B&W HP Laser/Fax/Copier for years, but it finally died. Bought an Epson multi-function inkjet, what an awful experience. Scanner was great, print quality was awful, cartridges were expensive, and though each color was separate (good), you couldn't print at ALL (not even in Black) if ANY color was empty (VERY VERY BAD).

So, much research later, I decided to get a color Laser for home; had to be network enabled so the entire family could use it (without using my computer as a 'print server').

THUS, this PIREP, for the Dell Color Laser 1320cn.

The price is awesome; even "new" it's a deal, but I bought it as a factory refurb for only $169, FREE shipping, and that price includes a full set of black and color toner cartridges.

(Be sure to pick "Dell Color Laser Printer 1320c Network" from the "Model" drop-down after clicking the "Check price and availability" link--it defaults to showing their monochrome lasers).

It prints fast, is quiet, and the colors and edges are AMAZING. Cartridges are individual colors (black, cyan, yellow, magenta), 2000 sheets each. Not cheap from Dell, but I purchased after-market cartridges from Meritline.com; $89 put three more black cartridges and a full set of color cartridges in my supply cabinet.

If you're looking for a good, fast, color laser from home, I can highly suggest this one.

P.S.-The #1 consumer 'complaint' is that the printer warns that the cartridges need to be replaced much earlier than they actually need to be replaced (i.e., maybe 500 pages into the life of the cartridge). Per other users, don't replace the cartridge til it stops printing reliably, and you'll get the full 2000+ pages per cartridge. Maybe they'll fix that 'early alert' in later firmware.

Last edited:
Good to know. I just paid $20 at Kinko's for a 16-page appraisal report with color pictures. As a result of that, I've been wondering what was available now.

I had a B&W HP Laser/Fax/Copier for years, but it finally died. Bought an Epson multi-function inkjet, what an awful experience. Scanner was great, print quality was awful, cartridges were expensive, and though each color was separate (good), you couldn't print at ALL (not even in Black) if ANY color was empty (VERY VERY BAD).

So, much research later, I decided to get a color Laser for home; had to be network enabled so the entire family could use it (without using my computer as a 'print server').

THUS, this PIREP, for the Dell Color Laser 1320cn.

The price is awesome; even "new" it's a deal, but I bought it as a factory refurb for only $169, FREE shipping, and that price includes a full set of black and color toner cartridges.

(Be sure to pick "Dell Color Laser Printer 1320c Network" from the "Model" drop-down after clicking the "Check price and availability" link--it defaults to showing their monochrome lasers).

It prints fast, is quiet, and the colors and edges are AMAZING. Cartridges are individual colors (black, cyan, yellow, magenta), 2000 sheets each. Not cheap from Dell, but I purchased after-market cartridges from Meritline.com; $89 put three more black cartridges and a full set of color cartridges in my supply cabinet.

If you're looking for a good, fast, color laser from home, I can highly suggest this one.

P.S.-The #1 consumer 'complaint' is that the printer warns that the cartridges need to be replaced much earlier than they actually need to be replaced (i.e., maybe 500 pages into the life of the cartridge). Per other users, don't replace the cartridge til it stops printing reliably, and you'll get the full 2000+ pages per cartridge. Maybe they'll fix that 'early alert' in later firmware.

I've had a Dell color laser printer with four color cartridge for a couple years. Have you priced the replacement print cartridges? They do last a while, but a couple will cost more than the printer you just purchased.

Best,

Dave

I've had a Dell color laser printer with four color cartridge for a couple years. Have you priced the replacement print cartridges? They do last a while, but a couple will cost more than the printer you just purchased.

Best,

Dave

Yup, but I don't buy them from Dell at $89 each. See the link I posted above for MeritLine.com - $15-20 each is much more affordable.

Best,

Dave
Well, he said he
purchased after-market cartridges from Meritline.com; $89 put three more black cartridges and a full set of color cartridges in my supply cabinet.
Any experience with the aftermarket cartridges?

I used aftermarket ink jet cartridges in my Epson. A week later, it pretty much stopped printing properly. I can't claim cause and effect, but it certainly makes me question my decision to go aftermarket!

Best,

Dave

It's the Gilette model. Give the printer away and charge an arm and a leg for the cartridges.

A completely different PIREP for color printer. After a really bad experience with an HP, we purchased a Samsung CLP-315. They're available on Amazon for $170. The original starter cartridge lasted ~ 6 months of limited home use. Just purchase replacement set - 2 black, 1 ea cyan, magenta, yellow for $160 incl shipping. It's been a very good printer so far and I'm definitely pleased with the purchase price, performance and replacement cartridge cost. I checked MeritLine.com site and they were quite a bit more expensive on the toner - same exact cost, but only ONE of the black cartridges.
Jeff

Well, he said he Any experience with the aftermarket cartridges?

I used aftermarket ink jet cartridges in my Epson. A week later, it pretty much stopped printing properly. I can't claim cause and effect, but it certainly makes me question my decision to go aftermarket!

We've looked for other cartridge sources and haven't been able to find them. Thanks for the link. Let me know how they do of if rated by any third party. We've had both good and back experiences with secondary cartridges in the past and they can void any warranty from the manufacturer in cases. Not a big deal with what you paid, but for a company printer, it can be meaningful.

Best,

Dave

So do I have this correct: $169 for a machine with four $89 cartridges?

Sounds like a reason to have a bunch of spare hardware sitting in the basement, skip the hassle of warranty returns . . .

So do I have this correct: $169 for a machine with four $89 cartridges?

Sounds like a reason to have a bunch of spare hardware sitting in the basement, skip the hassle of warranty returns . . .

They scam around that scam by shipping the printer with starter cartridges that will only last the first month.

My HP LaserJet 6s are still on the original toner carts after more than 10 years of me printing rarely. I have to replace them because they "expire" (in a 1 year, theoretically) and I'm getting smudgy printouts.

I see on Meritline they have a refurb for $28.

I'll check on how much red tape I have to cut to get the company to buy me one.

Last edited:
I've got a Samsung color laser printer that I've had for about 6 years. It shipped with "starter" cartridges that got about 1000 pages each before they stopped. Haven't tried the aftermarket cartridges yet, we'll see.

Some manufacturers are putting "chips" in their cartridges to prevent the refill shops from operating. There have been several lawsuits filed over the refill business....http://www.castleink.com/_a-epson-ink-cartridges.html

Back